Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You are all acting as if I'm comparing Friedel and Zidane as players. They are both former players who had little to no experience when they got their first head coaching job, that's a fact. We're not comparing the two as players.
    One was an ok pro goalie. The other was one of the top three players in the world at mid for a decade.

Comment

meh...

twitter:
      Mike Burns is mentioned in Friedel's autobiography #NERevs

"Without a club, I went over to Denmark. A good friend of mine, Mike Burns, was with Viborg and I trained with them just to keep myself fit"

same ****e, diff day

Comment

One was an ok pro goalie. The other was one of the top three players in the world at mid for a decade.
        And everyone who read the post understood that their careers and individual achievements as players weren't being compared. It was an unbelievably simple point being made that really didn't warrant a second thought.

Friedel entering the pro coaching ranks after a long career as an international player after a quick transition into coaching is not unique or new. It's more similar than dissimilar to the likes of Pep and Zidane, whether these examples were playing legends or are on their way to be legendary managers isn't relevant or an implication that Friedel was or will become a legend too. The point was the similarity in time and progression in the coaching ranks and the familiarity of the examples.

Comment

And everyone who read the post understood that their careers and individual achievements as players weren't being compared. It was an unbelievably simple point being made that really didn't warrant a second thought.

Friedel entering the pro coaching ranks after a long career as an international player after a quick transition into coaching is not unique or new. It's more similar than dissimilar to the likes of Pep and Zidane, whether these examples were playing legends or are on their way to be legendary managers isn't relevant or an implication that Friedel was or will become a legend too. The point was the similarity in time and progression in the coaching ranks and the familiarity of the examples.
          You are not getting the reason people are ridiculing you for a justifiable reason. Zidane was a "coach" on the field, an exceptionally brilliant player. Does that help you?

Comment

Oh my.. Thank you, atleast someone gets it. I'm not sure I could have written it in more plain English.

Listen though, I'm indifferent about Friedel being the head coach until I've seen the roster he builds and how he coaches it. I have a feeling it will be more of the same, but I think it's only fair to give him a chance before saying he's not cut out for the job.

Comment

You are not getting the reason people are ridiculing you for a justifiable reason. Zidane was a "coach" on the field, an exceptionally brilliant player. Does that help you?
              No, how was Zidane a coach on the field?? What are you even saying. He went out there and went about his business like any other top player.

Comment

Not one of my prior posts has received any ridicule, sorry to disappoint you in confusing me with someone else. I've just found the objections to the comparison obtuse, if not disingenuous. And for what it's worth, by further arguing that any attributes of Zidane as a player being distinct from Friedel helps make your case, I'm leaning towards obtuse.

Comment

The objection to drawing the similarities between Friedel and Pep and Zidane is exactly because it's uselessly superficial. Not they'd need me to "defend" them on this pissant board, but it's kind of insulting to bring Pep and Zidane up in comparison if one is trying to substantiate the selection.

MORE notable - that Burns had to reach into his friend network to find someone, anyone, to take the position. Who is doing the favor here? Burns for giving Friedel a head coaching spot or Friedel for agreeing to a crap job b/c now the Revs get to have a recognizable name?

Comment

Zidane was a "coach" on the field, but Friedel wasn't? Got it. Thanks. LOL

Comment

but it's kind of insulting to bring Pep and Zidane up in comparison
                      Nope, just simple.

Former internationals who went from not formally coaching at all, to brief coaching stints within youth academy sides, to the professional ranks within a span of just years, not decades.

Comment

MORE notable - that Burns had to reach into his friend network to find someone, anyone, to take the position. Who is doing the favor here? Burns for giving Friedel a head coaching spot or Friedel for agreeing to a crap job b/c now the Revs get to have a recognizable name?
                        That's one way to look at it. Welcome to the business world.

Comment

Status quo. Don't make waves. Old boys network.

What a waste

Comment

It's all irrelevant while the Kraft's own the team, isn't? I hate the phrase, but it is so applicable here -- it is what it is.

Comment

That's one way to look at it. Welcome to the business world.
                              so you've already got your season tickets? kidding...freidel won't sell more tickets - THAT's the business world.

Comment

Joke joke joke joke joke

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X