Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odp?

My daughter (2004) wants to try out for the ODP tomorrow. I don't really know anything about it. Thoughts? Is it worth it? I had one parent tell me it's not a great program.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My daughter (2004) wants to try out for the ODP tomorrow. I don't really know anything about it. Thoughts? Is it worth it? I had one parent tell me it's not a great program.
    ODP is a shell of its former self. All the better players are in ECNL or DA, leaving whoever is left for ODP. Training is lack luster. Is she a lower level player looking for touches? If os, spend your money on private training or share the cost of a trainer with a few friends.

Comment

ODP is a very valuable tool and resource for kids.

-Me, in the year 2001

Comment

ODP is a shell of its former self. All the better players are in ECNL or DA, leaving whoever is left for ODP. Training is lack luster. Is she a lower level player looking for touches? If os, spend your money on private training or share the cost of a trainer with a few friends.
        Interesting. Ty for the insight. There are no ECNL or DA teams close to where we live and honestly I am not willing to drive her an hour each way to/from practice 3x per week. (Not that I judge anyone who chooses to do that- everyone's situation is different) so she is on an NEP team in top division. Honestly, I think the thougt of trying out is just because she knows someone else going.

Comment

Soccer Rap Wars:
          Crew 1
          What you about to hear are the sounds of MC ECNL and DJ DA - Hit it!

I wanna play right now, I'm DA and Im 'a put you down
          We not internationally, known, but ECNL on all the coaches phones

Because we cost stupid, I mean outrageous,
          gotta play for me, if you want stay-tus

Rapper 2
          You down with ODP? Yeah you know me!!
          Who's down with ODP? Every last re-crew-tee!

---------------------------
          Make your own Decision Holmes.
          TS ain't the place for keeping it real. Know whad un sayin?

Comment

Interesting. Ty for the insight. There are no ECNL or DA teams close to where we live and honestly I am not willing to drive her an hour each way to/from practice 3x per week. (Not that I judge anyone who chooses to do that- everyone's situation is different) so she is on an NEP team in top division. Honestly, I think the thougt of trying out is just because she knows someone else going.
            The ODP practices are in Marlboro in the winter and Lancaster in the spring. My 04 daughter, not on a top NEP team, did it two years ago. She didn't love it, but I thought it was good for her to get out of her comfort zone. She had been playing with the same kids for multiple years with familiar coaches. She did love the summer camp at URI however.

If your daughters just doing it because a friend is, don't' do it. She better really like soccer and be up for the increased competition. I also agree a private coach may be a better use of time and money if your D is looking to improve skills.

Comment

Helps to understand both your own and other's motivation

First you: What are you really after? is really development, or are you looking for exposure, some status, and/or a checkpoint of how your D is tracking with "the best"?

Other Parents: Most want to reinforce their own decisions. Families spend way too much time and money on club soccer and if they (we) are on TS, we are crazy.

ECNL: wants to reinforce brand and keep money within themselves so they create ID2. Will tell you it's about their methodology, but it's really about their revenue

MA Youth Soccer: Same thing really. US Youth Franchises ODP label to states who generate money for themselves and kick back to US Youth Soccer. Along the way some kids get IDed, and that's a good thing too.

So, any of them or none of the are good. If your D has "it" , all of them can work. ODP is the fastest and cheapest way. They will tell you pretty quickly that she might not - or at least they didn't see it in tryouts. The clubs will cash your check to develop her over time.

Regardless of path chosen, there is a bottom 3/4 in all systems who get shafted. the Top 1/4 who go to ID2 for ECNL, make R1 pool for ODP, and actually get playing time and NTC call-ups from DA will do fine.

Comment

My daughter has done it for 4 years. She loves it. Different kids, not a huge time commitment and the R1 camp is a great experience. Some coaches are first rate, some are not. Go to tryouts - see if she makes it and go from there. If you think it is always going to be a top rate soccer experience you will be disappointed. As long as my daughter wanted to keep doing it and was having fun we let her participate. We did not expect miracles from the program however. I can tell you that there are some incredibly talented kids in the program and some not so much.

Comment

My daughter has done it for one year and really got a lot out of it.

Haters will tell you it's old school. Google any girls national team player U14, U15, U16, U17 etc and the more have ODP in their background than not.

Comment

My daughter has done it for 4 years. She loves it. Different kids, not a huge time commitment and the R1 camp is a great experience. Some coaches are first rate, some are not. Go to tryouts - see if she makes it and go from there. If you think it is always going to be a top rate soccer experience you will be disappointed. As long as my daughter wanted to keep doing it and was having fun we let her participate. We did not expect miracles from the program however. I can tell you that there are some incredibly talented kids in the program and some not so much.
                    Any idea how many typically show up to try outs and how many are offered spots?

BTW - thank you for the insight. Much appreciated.

Comment

Any idea how many typically show up to try outs and how many are offered spots?

BTW - thank you for the insight. Much appreciated.
                      From observation alone. I would say 50-80. That's a wide range I know but there are at least 2 fields of 11 v 11 over multiple tryout days. Some come once, many come all

Comment

Haters will tell you it's old school. Google any girls national team player U14, U15, U16, U17 etc and the more have ODP in their background than not.
                        Gonna go out on a limb and guess your daughter won't make any national team.

Comment

Gonna go out on a limb and guess your daughter won't make any national team.
                          Correct. Probably not. What's your point?

Comment

Correct. Probably not. What's your point?
                            He's just being an azzhat. I appreciate your input.

Comment

Correlation is not causation.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X