Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have responded twice to questions and have been told I’m a troll, someone else, etc too. I responded with honesty and from my own experiences yet I was not taken seriously. The people on here are crazy.

To answer your question - no your daughter doesn’t have to play ECNL or DA to play in college. She can play division 3 or even 2 if she’s decent and plays varsity high school and an NEP team. Will she be scholarship money to play? No. Can she make a team? 7es. She would need to be on an NPL team or better to be noticed to get any money from any school. And she would need to play ECNL or DA and be a standout there to get money from division 1. Also highly doubtful anyone playing at a lower level would make a difference 1 college team because the won’t have the exposure to that type of competition and won’t be up to speed or able to contain that pressure.
    Would you please quit this stupid little game. If a kid can actually play soccer, it really doesn't matter what team they play for or the league it plays in. The team or league never has and never will define how good a player is. It's the level of their personal talent and their personal commitment to be the best player they can be that does that. Lots of players around the world have nothing but rags for a ball and a bunch of rag tag players from their village to play with and yet many of them somehow manage to make it to the international stage. Making some lowly D3 roster is not nearly as challenging.

Comment

Would you please quit this stupid little game. If a kid can actually play soccer, it really doesn't matter what team they play for or the league it plays in. The team or league never has and never will define how good a player is. It's the level of their personal talent and their personal commitment to be the best player they can be that does that. Lots of players around the world have nothing but rags for a ball and a bunch of rag tag players from their village to play with and yet many of them somehow manage to make it to the international stage. Making some lowly D3 roster is not nearly as challenging.
      You are wrong, if you play on a crappy team in a crappy league you will not be pushed to get better. Game play is what can makes a player. If you can't see the field and play against stronger players how do you expect to get better!

Comment

You are wrong, if you play on a crappy team in a crappy league you will not be pushed to get better. Game play is what can makes a player. If you can't see the field and play against stronger players how do you expect to get better!
        Silly, if your kid has the talent and motivation they are letting those circumstances hold them back. They are having you drive them to in open pick up games against adults. Solves a whole bunch and usually only costs a couple of bucks a night. More than one way to skin a cat you know.

Comment

Silly, if your kid has the talent and motivation they are letting those circumstances hold them back. They are having you drive them to in open pick up games against adults. Solves a whole bunch and usually only costs a couple of bucks a night. More than one way to skin a cat you know.
          I have kids playing Division 1 college soccer. We were told my college coaches that they needed to see them play against strong competition to really determine if they wanted our child. They weren’t even interested in watching them play against the weaker teams in the top leagues. Try to determine what level your child wants to play. Yes, there are good players on local non-national teams but it is much, much easier to get noticed in a top league.

Comment

I have kids playing Division 1 college soccer. We were told my college coaches that they needed to see them play against strong competition to really determine if they wanted our child. They weren’t even interested in watching them play against the weaker teams in the top leagues. Try to determine what level your child wants to play. Yes, there are good players on local non-national teams but it is much, much easier to get noticed in a top league.
            For the record for those who are interested... Div 1 soccer is not an ideal situation for many/most. Unless you are getting serious money (unlikely), it may not be worth it!!

Comment

I previously thought that good was good, no matter what league of letters you played in but I was wrong. My daughter played on a team that I thought was pretty good. She was a starter and top player on her team and consistently one of the only ones keeping up with better teams they played. She is now on a higher team with top competition and it’s night and day. It took her a few months to get up to speed and settle in to the difference in play - so fast and so accurate and consistent with so few “mistakes”. She’s doing great now and I realize I didn’t know what I didn’t know. If I were a college coach I wouldn’t bother with lower leagues unless the player was an outstanding student and wanted to play on the team as well - go see them and offer spot but no scholarship. I wouldn’t know if they could keep up with better competition.

Comment

Lol. Absolutely love parents like that. They have no idea what "good" actually is and usually think that just because their kid steps up a level it makes them "good". A good chunk of what they are measuring their kid against actually suck and don't have anywhere near the upside potential that they assume they have.

Comment

Lol. Absolutely love parents like that. They have no idea what "good" actually is and usually think that just because their kid steps up a level it makes them "good". A good chunk of what they are measuring their kid against actually suck and don't have anywhere near the upside potential that they assume they have.
                  Such nastiness, why??

Do you feel a little less insecure now?

Comment

Lol. Insecure?? I'm not the one posing as a inquisitive parent of a 7th grader so I can tout how important the DA is for playing soccer at Middleboro or Brandeis (or whatever tiny over priced uber liberal college you think is the balls).

Comment

*********gery aside, the crux of the comment has merit.

The reality is you only know what you can see in front of you. Every kid has been a star at a lower team before moving up. Every kid then has to adjust to the speed and quality, and those who can succeed. Those who can't drop back, or move on. Same in every sport.

Comment

*********gery aside, the crux of the comment has merit.

The reality is you only know what you can see in front of you. Every kid has been a star at a lower team before moving up. Every kid then has to adjust to the speed and quality, and those who can succeed. Those who can't drop back, or move on. Same in every sport.
                        Because the USA is not a soccer country with a soccer culture. Most have no clue what good is. Its not the same in every sport at all. the USA have an established understanding of what "good" is in many sports , not soccer.

There are also so many organized levels that just would not exist in a soccer country. The exist here for all sorts of reasons from rec (all good) to taking advantage of the general ignorance (not so good)

Comment

Looks like this is just another spot to rail against soccer clubs.....

That being said, yes, our soccer culture is young. 90% of the parents on the sidelines yelling "nice ball" wouldn't know one if it came up and bit them in the azz. I get it.

My parents knew nothing of the game, either. However, they supported all of us and 3 of us played through college. They grew to love the game. Do they understand it like some of the TS experts? No.

We didn't have club soccer in town. It was rec (and even then it didn't show up until 6th grade). We played other sports...and I can tell you the hockey culture and club/rec is exactly the same as soccer is today.

So, my kid has infinite more exposure to soccer than I did. Hers will expand on that as well. It is changing, slowly. Seeing more good soccer will help people realize what good really is. It doesn't happen overnight, and it won't happen in a rec environment.

Comment

I watch ECNL and NPL games and they are so slow and boring. Soccer ballerinas.

Comment

I watch ECNL and NPL games and they are so slow and boring. Soccer ballerinas.
                              Lol, troll much? I'm not defending teams or players in either league, as my non-DA/ECNL/NPL D's team has beat NPL teams and tied ECNL teams, but on average your comment doesn't apply. Speed of play and athleticism in both leagues is quite high compared to most youth soccer I've seen. Skill varies, but I don't see NPL or ECNL players unable to trap, pass, shoot or dribble, so technically they are at least competent.

Maybe soccer isn't your thing and you should go watch this basketball or hockey. Both tend to entertain those with short attention spans.

Comment

I previously thought that good was good, no matter what league of letters you played in but I was wrong. My daughter played on a team that I thought was pretty good. She was a starter and top player on her team and consistently one of the only ones keeping up with better teams they played. She is now on a higher team with top competition and it’s night and day. It took her a few months to get up to speed and settle in to the difference in play - so fast and so accurate and consistent with so few “mistakes”. She’s doing great now and I realize I didn’t know what I didn’t know. If I were a college coach I wouldn’t bother with lower leagues unless the player was an outstanding student and wanted to play on the team as well - go see them and offer spot but no scholarship. I wouldn’t know if they could keep up with better competition.
                                Interesting thought...my son recently went through the same experience. He always played up an age level and stood out on the field. He moved up to ECNL and all the players are noticeably better than NEP, Maple, etc. The depth on the bench is far better. It took him a couple months to adjust also.

I agree with your statement, "I didn't know what I didn't know."

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X