So let’s recap

NFL games ok
    Mls ok
    WNBA ok
    Npsl ok
    MLB ok
    Huskies football soon to be ok
    Cougars football soon to be ok

So in our governors mind as long as you make him money and possibly get him votes than fine but youth sports not ok. Last time I checked no social distancing in any of those. Also spare me the test debate as many games have been cancelled already and many of those players have been around many other athletes. So clearly not spreading from the sports. Spreading in general public

Good point. What is the justification for pro sports playing but not youth?

Comment

They will claim testing but as someone who has followed college sports very closely the players are practicing with it than find out afterwards. Than they trace it back to everyday life.

Comment

The real answer is $$$

Comment

private vs public ownership of facilities and risk reduction for lawsuits. Mitigated somewhat by the ability to test daily which California and Oregon have committed to do (only viable for football due to expense). So while it might look like a revenue thing it's really just protection of the public coffers in a litigious society.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            private vs public ownership of facilities and risk reduction for lawsuits. Mitigated somewhat by the ability to test daily which California and Oregon have committed to do (only viable for football due to expense). So while it might look like a revenue thing it's really just protection of the public coffers in a litigious society.
            I think if all of youth sports committed to getting tested weekly and made it part of the player card check-in process that would help make the case for a safer reopening. Frankly, all the major clubs have had some amount of positive cases in their ranks and have shut down their pods and followed procedure. It works.

Are we going to cancel two weeks of games if one of the parents or a player tests positive? Is that information going to be shared between clubs? Is the coach going to have to quarantine and what happens if that coach has multiple teams? All your examples have A LOT of testing in place so that those sports can semi-safely continue. What's being proposed has none.

We need to get our kids moving again. We also need to be smart about it.

Comment

Cash flow. That is the answer.

Pro and college sports make a lot of money. The pro franchises are worth billions but only so long as they produce massive streams of cash.

Having massive amounts of cash in the bank is not the plan for any of these.

So you have billion in valuation in pro sports at risk if you don't play. You gotta get that cash flow rolling.

Colleges have built these massive programs with unbelievable facilities and services and huge payrolls. They will implode if the cash flow stops.

Cash flow. That is the answer.

That is more powerful than politics or health.

Let the kids play!

Comment

They will claim testing but as someone who has followed college sports very closely the players are practicing with it than find out afterwards. Than they trace it back to everyday life.
                My son is a D1 soccer player in one of the only conferences still holding a season. They have moved from weekly testing to DAILY testing and they have to quarantine after each game until they get back their latest test results. THAT is the difference. If the big football programs aren't doing daily testing and still spending a sh*t ton of money on pregame steak-and-pasta catering, it's because they don't care. Not saying that's happening, but daily testing should be the expectation and be the budget priority.

Comment

BS, this isn’t a litigation issue.

Comment

BS, this isn’t a litigation issue.
                    Why? Perhaps not everything. But I think it could be a major part of it. Idk your stance on this covid thing but I think it is vastly overblown and we should be functioning like normal and should have been months ago. That being said, all it takes is one person to get it and claim they got it from soccer or school or somewhere "unnecessary" and it could financially clean out a soccer club or wys just prepping lawyers for a court case or a settlement. Maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist but as a public school teacher I think have of what we do is for lawsuit prevention because society in general is litigious.

Comment

Why? Perhaps not everything. But I think it could be a major part of it. Idk your stance on this covid thing but I think it is vastly overblown and we should be functioning like normal and should have been months ago. That being said, all it takes is one person to get it and claim they got it from soccer or school or somewhere "unnecessary" and it could financially clean out a soccer club or wys just prepping lawyers for a court case or a settlement. Maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist but as a public school teacher I think have of what we do is for lawsuit prevention because society in general is litigious.
                      Nvm. I dont think I properly understood your statement which would make my response somewhat of a non sequitur.

Comment

If this was just a liability issue, nothing would be allowed. No practices, no coaches, no use of city/state facilities, no protests, etc. Heck, today groups of 30 can get together for a wedding. How many stories have we heard related to families getting together for a family event and 6 people end up passing away due to COVID?

There is no evidence that 9 year olds playing soccer contributes to Covid.

This is a mixture of politics and the vocal minority.

I wear a mask, order food online for delivery, work from home. We limit our social interactions and aren’t ready to take a flight on a plane.

But kids should be allowed to play soccer.

Comment

completely agree with you

our family limits our interactions too, and while we are not ready to hop on a plane and start traveling, we are ready for some local soccer.

my younger kid has games in spokane and coeur d'alene on their RCL schedule, makes zero freaking sense to be playing games over the mountains right now. Plenty of competition at that age and skill level to be found locally.

governor would be way more likely to approve a return to play if WYS plan was more developed than no corner kicks or throw ins.

I contacted the email listed for questions on WYS return to play update, asked if they had a policy in place to force games to be re-scheduled due to covid numbers in case an area has a spike. Asked what their threshold was for allowing games, if it was the same as the return to school numbers of 75 cases/100k. Got no response.

Comment

From my understanding, they haven’t said a single word to any EPD families in months. Fat chance, they’d respond to an individual email inquiry. I don’t even know why they have contact info available based on their lack of responsiveness.

Comment

If this was just a liability issue, nothing would be allowed. No practices, no coaches, no use of city/state facilities, no protests, etc. Heck, today groups of 30 can get together for a wedding. How many stories have we heard related to families getting together for a family event and 6 people end up passing away due to COVID?

There is no evidence that 9 year olds playing soccer contributes to Covid.

This is a mixture of politics and the vocal minority.

I wear a mask, order food online for delivery, work from home. We limit our social interactions and aren’t ready to take a flight on a plane.

But kids should be allowed to play soccer.
                              Big difference between practices (which are managed and the responsibility of the clubs) and games which are the responsibility of the State. The next poster provided the support for this very clearly when they say there is no reason why they should be traveling to Spokane or Idaho but they can play local....it's a state league and you travel to other state clubs who have earned the right to play in that division via pro/rel or you don't play. Schedules are initially set by the state but can be changed by each individual team so they already do allow flexibility If I were Spokane or CDA I would have no problem scheduling all of our home games for November and December. Sucks for Seattleites making that trip over the pass at that time though.

But, at the end of the day either it's safe to play kid's soccer or it isn't. For me, what I hear is if you have to travel to Spokane and someone gets sick then the state is going to be blamed for it.....that's the reason we aren't playing yet. So don't tell me that the potential for litigation isn't there.

And, by the way, I also think it's ok to start playing games right now...but I understand why a business wouldn't be anxious to expose themselves to going bankrupt via lawsuits (which they don't have to lose - just fight) and soccer is a business.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X