Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covid and Soccer

Many states around the country have now returned to play, with league ECNL, GA, and state league games starting last weekend and tournaments over the past month. States where games are being played aren’t limited to the more obvious red states like Florida, Texas and Georgia that have taken a relatively care free (or reckless) approach to the pandemic, but also Colorado, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, etc. Apart from Washington, Oregon and California it’s relatively difficult to find states that aren’t back to normal soccer, although there are a few others. Many of these states are not doing as well as Washington in terms of cases, hospitalizations or deaths, yet here we are.

Has anyone seen any report from anywhere in the world of any kid contracting or transmitting Covid at soccer training or during a soccer game? Given the number of places that are reopened, there should by now be significant numbers of soccer related cases if there was any material risk associated with youth outdoor activities like this. But there doesn’t seem to be anything apart from: (a) the mayor of Danbury, Connecticut says that families traveling to travel tournaments contributed to a recent spike there; and (b) Surf’s study, which found 0 cases contracted or transmitted during 6800+ training sessions at clubs in the San Diego area over the course of the summer. It sure seems like it would be safe to turn the reopening dial a bit more here, and that if not yet it will be if the trend of no soccer-related outbreaks around the country continues for another week or two.

Wrong Question

You are asking the wrong question.

No question soccer players can get the virus. It is well documented that several professional players have had the Covid 19.

The difference is they are being tested often it not daily.

The concern is s[reading of the virus. The vast majority of the youth won't even know they have it spreading it in the community infecting a large number of people.

Comment

I think the OP raises some good points. But despite health officials stating that the risk is low and everything we know about the virus, transmission, risk, etc, still... here we are, TRAPPED by the insane policies by our govenors here on the left coast. This is purely political at this point. It's quite clear that they are trying to impose as much suffering and inconvenience as possible so that we vote Trump out of office. The virus will cease to be in the news on November 4 when holding us captive no longer serves a political purpose.

Either that, or Inslee is an absolute dictator who cannot reliquish the power and control he has imposed over us. And he's trying to impress Biden so that he gets a set on the cabinet.

Either that, or the teachers union is controlling Inslee, and they don't want youth sports to advance, lest we actually see that the risk of transmission is low when we "reopen" and then we force the teachers back into the classroom to do the work that they are paid for. (Instead of teaching to less than 50% of the kids who choose to log in for online "learning".)

Either that, or China has bought of Inslee through crafty trade deals, and they want us to lose the next womens world cup, so they aren't letting us practice.

Pick your conspiracy. Or name your own. My point is that it defies all rationality and logic that Washington is still living in this draconian nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        You are asking the wrong question.

No question soccer players can get the virus. It is well documented that several professional players have had the Covid 19.

The difference is they are being tested often it not daily.

The concern is s[reading of the virus. The vast majority of the youth won't even know they have it spreading it in the community infecting a large number of people.
        I’m not sure what you’re calling the wrong question. Yes, some pro soccer players (and other athletes) have been diagnosed with Covid, including a number of FC Dallas and Orlando Pride players. The Pride players went to a bar together while Covid was peaking in their community, so don’t seem to have been infected as a result of soccer. Haven’t seen anything about the FCD players or anyone else to suggest they contracted Covid at training or during a game.

And yes, spreading the virus is exactly the concern and is the issue to which my op was directed. If youth soccer training and games is contributed to spreading the virus we should have known that by now, or at least will know very soon. The absence of any reports of super spreading, or any spreading at all, linked to soccer training and games during the month or so those activities have been going on in much of the country is encouraging and should be thr relevant data point for local officials deciding what to do here. You’re absolutely right that widespread rapid testing would provide a lot more comfort in moving towards reopening, but unfortunately national leadership seems to be more interested in snake oil.

Comment

I’m not sure what you’re calling the wrong question. Yes, some pro soccer players (and other athletes) have been diagnosed with Covid, including a number of FC Dallas and Orlando Pride players. The Pride players went to a bar together while Covid was peaking in their community, so don’t seem to have been infected as a result of soccer. Haven’t seen anything about the FCD players or anyone else to suggest they contracted Covid at training or during a game.

And yes, spreading the virus is exactly the concern and is the issue to which my op was directed. If youth soccer training and games is contributed to spreading the virus we should have known that by now, or at least will know very soon. The absence of any reports of super spreading, or any spreading at all, linked to soccer training and games during the month or so those activities have been going on in much of the country is encouraging and should be thr relevant data point for local officials deciding what to do here. You’re absolutely right that widespread rapid testing would provide a lot more comfort in moving towards reopening, but unfortunately national leadership seems to be more interested in snake oil.

Also bear in mind that the women just did fine with holding a tournament with absolutely no COVID spread. NWSL Challenge cup provided thousands of tests over many weeks across several states, with zero positives.

Comment

I think the OP raises some good points. But despite health officials stating that the risk is low and everything we know about the virus, transmission, risk, etc, still... here we are, TRAPPED by the insane policies by our govenors here on the left coast. This is purely political at this point. It's quite clear that they are trying to impose as much suffering and inconvenience as possible so that we vote Trump out of office. The virus will cease to be in the news on November 4 when holding us captive no longer serves a political purpose.

Either that, or Inslee is an absolute dictator who cannot reliquish the power and control he has imposed over us. And he's trying to impress Biden so that he gets a set on the cabinet.

Either that, or the teachers union is controlling Inslee, and they don't want youth sports to advance, lest we actually see that the risk of transmission is low when we "reopen" and then we force the teachers back into the classroom to do the work that they are paid for. (Instead of teaching to less than 50% of the kids who choose to log in for online "learning".)

Either that, or China has bought of Inslee through crafty trade deals, and they want us to lose the next womens world cup, so they aren't letting us practice.

Pick your conspiracy. Or name your own. My point is that it defies all rationality and logic that Washington is still living in this draconian nightmare.
            Q wants you to f*** off, Karen.

Comment

My dude, calm down and exit the Qanon forum.

I have kids on college sports teams in NC and NY. NC has seen scases piking, UNC and NC state have had to shut down due to high COVID numbers. My kid in NC will still be playing because his school is testing everyone and testing athletes ONCE A WEEK and his conference has decided to go for it, despite what other conferences are doing. We won't know if that was smart or stupid until the season gets going. My kid in NY had her season cancelled because, after the trauma NYC went through in the spring, with dead bodies piled up in trailers, they're taking NO chances there even though their covide rate is very very low at this point.

You want to blame our governor, but in the absence of true federal guidance, every state, every college, every league, every youth league etc is making their own determination about how to handle this. Inslee designed a phased plan for return to activity for the whole state -- if everyone across the state wore masks, skipped parties etc etc we might be further along by now. I don't agree with everything he's done, but I suspect his primary motivations are to: 1. prevent as many deaths as possible and 2. keep the WA economy from totally crashing. If you don't like what's happening with youth sports, write letters, start a petition etc Don't peddle insane theories about a plot to knee cap youth sports.

Comment

My dude, calm down and exit the Qanon forum.

I have kids on college sports teams in NC and NY. NC has seen scases piking, UNC and NC state have had to shut down due to high COVID numbers. My kid in NC will still be playing because his school is testing everyone and testing athletes ONCE A WEEK and his conference has decided to go for it, despite what other conferences are doing. We won't know if that was smart or stupid until the season gets going. My kid in NY had her season cancelled because, after the trauma NYC went through in the spring, with dead bodies piled up in trailers, they're taking NO chances there even though their covide rate is very very low at this point.

You want to blame our governor, but in the absence of true federal guidance, every state, every college, every league, every youth league etc is making their own determination about how to handle this. Inslee designed a phased plan for return to activity for the whole state -- if everyone across the state wore masks, skipped parties etc etc we might be further along by now. I don't agree with everything he's done, but I suspect his primary motivations are to: 1. prevent as many deaths as possible and 2. keep the WA economy from totally crashing. If you don't like what's happening with youth sports, write letters, start a petition etc Don't peddle insane theories about a plot to knee cap youth sports.
                The whole purpose is to slow down the infection rates in order not to overload the
                medical system and collapse, like it almost did in NYC. Funny how nobody talks about cancer, car accidents, heart attacks, etc. The people dying are the old and/or chronic
                diseases like diabetes, hypertension, obesity, heart disease, etc. Covid-19 just pushes them over the edge which they were already there on the cliff. If you haven't noticed, America is about money and greed. People are not caring b/c they will not sacrifice their lives for a bunch of old people, already on death's door. That is the true face of America.

Joke is going to be on us. Everybody wants it to be some Salk moment where Polio is defeated and there will be dancing in the streets. This virus is a smart sob and is adapting. Most likely it will be able to re-infect people with different variations, like that HK guy who
                got the Asian and European versions. Covid-19 will be just part of the ecosystem and we
                have to deal with it like the flu or a cold. We are in the first inning of a double header of economic troubles. Seattle is seriously, seriously f*cked for at least 3 years.

Pay to play soccer? Keeping my kids active and hoping for the best by spring, but I doubt it. People are starting to get really screwy and turning into violence. Be careful of those idiots out there. Good luck.

Comment

Schedules are out

The npsl just posted their fall schedule http://northpugetsoundleague.org/fall-2020-schedule . Games start in 26 days.

I am going to bet the governor puts us in phase 2.5 in mid September so he can save face. We won't meet his phase 3 requirements untill 2022 ;)

Comment

Many states around the country have now returned to play, with league ECNL, GA, and state league games starting last weekend and tournaments over the past month. States where games are being played aren’t limited to the more obvious red states like Florida, Texas and Georgia that have taken a relatively care free (or reckless) approach to the pandemic, but also Colorado, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, etc. Apart from Washington, Oregon and California it’s relatively difficult to find states that aren’t back to normal soccer, although there are a few others. Many of these states are not doing as well as Washington in terms of cases, hospitalizations or deaths, yet here we are.

Has anyone seen any report from anywhere in the world of any kid contracting or transmitting Covid at soccer training or during a soccer game? Given the number of places that are reopened, there should by now be significant numbers of soccer related cases if there was any material risk associated with youth outdoor activities like this. But there doesn’t seem to be anything apart from: (a) the mayor of Danbury, Connecticut says that families traveling to travel tournaments contributed to a recent spike there; and (b) Surf’s study, which found 0 cases contracted or transmitted during 6800+ training sessions at clubs in the San Diego area over the course of the summer. It sure seems like it would be safe to turn the reopening dial a bit more here, and that if not yet it will be if the trend of no soccer-related outbreaks around the country continues for another week or two.
                    The Surf study is very interesting - it found that some of their members (players and coaches) DID test positive - 15 out of almost 7000 studied over 8 weeks - but zero of those cases were traced back to soccer contact. In other words, those 15 people got covid in the community, not playing soccer. And none of the 15 brought it back to the soccer community. In one case, a player tested positive and found out when his entire family got tested before visiting an elderly relative. The kid trained with his team while presumably being positive, but no one else on the team got covid.

What this tells me is two things. First, as I suspected, outdoor activities are very low risk. Second, kids are safer playing soccer than they are not playing. That's worth repeating - the very few that got covid aren't getting covid playing soccer - they're getting it when they are away from playing soccer.

Both of those things tell me we could return to playing games the way New York State and other places are, with some reasonable guidelines. I think you could also make the case that coaches could influence their players' behavior more positively if they had games to look forward to. In other words, coaches and clubs can consistently reinforce things like good hand hygiene, wearing masks, etc - away from soccer - as a reminder that their team can only play if everyone follows the rules. Kids are gonna be kids and some of them will still be reckless - but games are a reward that for many kids will make being careful more worthwhile (keeping in mind that kids generally see themselves as immortal and telling them "you might get sick and die" doesn't resonate with them).

And yes, this was a small study - but it's a start and the results are very encouraging. I think it's time we move forward. Being careful and cautious, but also mindful of the fact that forcing kids to shelter in place in front of a computer screen indefinitely has its own very legitimate health risks as well.

Comment

none

...I think it's time we move forward. Being careful and cautious, but also mindful of the fact that forcing kids to shelter in place in front of a computer screen indefinitely has its own very legitimate health risks as well.
                      Amen. Let them play.

Comment

none

Petition: Student Athletes of Washington Want to Play

https://www.change.org/p/jay-inslee-...0969-en-us%3A0

Comment

Petition: Student Athletes of Washington Want to Play

https://www.change.org/p/jay-inslee-...0969-en-us%3A0
                          I don't want to be rude and I suppose there is no harm in trying, but honestly does anyone suspect that no matter how many sign this, the Governor's decision will not be effected at all.

Comment

I don't want to be rude and I suppose there is no harm in trying, but honestly does anyone suspect that no matter how many sign this, the Governor's decision will not be effected at all.
                            I hear you, but probably better way to channel concerns than complaining in this forum and fixating on conspiracy theories that this is a plot to weaken the NWSL so that China can dominate, which somebody was spouting on here

Comment

Seattle is now at 19 cases per 100k over the past week, with an average of zero hospitalizations per day for the past week. Those figures are well below the thresholds for opening schools and going to phase 3.

This despite one of the most proactive testing programs in the country, with large numbers of asymptomatic people tested for free each day (and the use of PCR tests that, while there's nothing better yet, are apparently largely catching large numbers of people who had the virus previously and are thus no longer infectious, and are thus if anything overstating the current risk of community transmission).

https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/hea...y-summary.aspx

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X