Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How well does 3v3 success predict full-sided success?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How well does 3v3 success predict full-sided success?

Let's say you have two very strong 3v3 teams (6 players each) and they merge to form an 8v8 team.

If the two 3v3 teams pretty much dominant whomever they play, is that a pretty good indicator that they can join to form a top 8v8 team? Or is there very little correlating between the success in 3v3, and success in fullsided play?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Let's say you have two very strong 3v3 teams (6 players each) and they merge to form an 8v8 team.

If the two 3v3 teams pretty much dominant whomever they play, is that a pretty good indicator that they can join to form a top 8v8 team? Or is there very little correlating between the success in 3v3, and success in fullsided play?
    Is this a serious question?

Comment

Is this a serious question?
      Yes it's a serious question. I've heard both arguments. Some say it's a waste of time, and teaches the wrong things, and players develop bad habits that don't translate well into fullsided play. Others say it is vital for the development of young players, as it provides coUntless touches on the ball, with lots of ball handling, passing, 1v1, etc.

Comment

Yes it's a serious question. I've heard both arguments. Some say it's a waste of time, and teaches the wrong things, and players develop bad habits that don't translate well into fullsided play. Others say it is vital for the development of young players, as it provides coUntless touches on the ball, with lots of ball handling, passing, 1v1, etc.
        I'd be interested in hearing opinions on this too. I have a child that is a rising U13 player that has played 3v3 for a few years now and will now be playing 11v11. Is there any benefit to playing 3v3 over the summer to keep up touches on the ball?

Comment

Ponte Vedra Storm U17 Girls

They combined 3 very successful 3 v 3 Teams at the U12 age I believe. They are probably the best example of the benefits of playing 3 v 3 based on their accomplishments over the last 4 or 5 years.

Comment

They combined 3 very successful 3 v 3 Teams at the U12 age I believe. They are probably the best example of the benefits of playing 3 v 3 based on their accomplishments over the last 4 or 5 years.
            3V3 is a training tool for real soccer

Comment

I have seen players that were good at full sided, but were not good at 3 v 3. But I have never seen a good 3 v 3 player that was not good at full sided.

Comment

The two teams that just played for the U13 boys state cup were both former 3 v 3 national champions.

Comment

It makes a big difference, especially at the younger ages....you know who has done 3v3 and who hasn't.

Comment

The purists will tell you it doesn't translate to full-field, it's not as good as Futsal, it's just a money-making scam, etc. The bottom line is it's better than playing Nintendo all summer. You don't have to play 3v3 to get better, but the best players play 3v3 because they take advantage of every opportunity to play more soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                      the purists will tell you it doesn't translate to full-field, it's not as good as futsal, it's just a money-making scam, etc. The bottom line is it's better than playing nintendo all summer. You don't have to play 3v3 to get better, but the best players play 3v3 because they take advantage of every opportunity to play more soccer.
                      bravo

Comment

1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, 5v5...Yes, Yes, Yes!

Why 4v4

In the fun day sessions we play predominantly 4v4 but also sometimes 3v3 and 5v5 for variety as it poses different problem solving skills.

The Dutch introduced 4v4 as a training tool in the mid 1980s. It is the simplest version of the game where you have options forward, backwards, to the left and to the right.

‘4 v 4 generates many match situations, involves all the players, with small numbers guaranteeing repetition of opportunity to problem-solve and learn (i.e. see it, make a decision, execute a skill).’

John Allpress – National Player Development Coach The FA

The co-founder of GUBOG, Rick Fenoglio from Manchester Metropolitan University compiled a year long study of Manchester United’s 4v4 pilot programme (U9s). When comparing it to the 8v8 game he came up with the following findings.

– 135% - more passes

– 260% - more attempts on goal

– 225% - more 1 on 1 encounters

– 280% - more ‘tricks’ attempted

Martin Diggle, a development coach at Bolton Wanderers has talked to many coaches and academics around the world and did his own study on decision making in small sided games.

GAME SIZE
                        MINIMUM
                        MAXIMUM
                        AVERAGE

3V3

4V4

5V5

6V6

These figures were based on 10 minute line soccer games with the player in possession.

Kids at all levels of the game need this game therapy for their enjoyment, their football development and for the sheer celebration of being a child.

From my own personal observations, from the research above (and this is just a small section) and from the hundreds of email I have received from coaches now using these games, the transformation and enjoyment of players has been nothing short of staggering.

Keep them ‘playing’!

“We have to be faithful to the way we want to play the game”

Arsene Wenger.

Comment

Based on the study of Dr. Rick Feneglio, Man Utd. Youth program only allows players to play 4v4 or smaller through age 12. In fact, they often do not play other youth academies because some don't adhere to this development model.

Comment

Juggling

A player that juggles well doesn't necessarily become a great soccer player, however, every great soccer player is a great juggler.

3v3 is the same.

Comment

Why 4v4

In the fun day sessions we play predominantly 4v4 but also sometimes 3v3 and 5v5 for variety as it poses different problem solving skills.

The Dutch introduced 4v4 as a training tool in the mid 1980s. It is the simplest version of the game where you have options forward, backwards, to the left and to the right.

‘4 v 4 generates many match situations, involves all the players, with small numbers guaranteeing repetition of opportunity to problem-solve and learn (i.e. see it, make a decision, execute a skill).’

John Allpress – National Player Development Coach The FA

The co-founder of GUBOG, Rick Fenoglio from Manchester Metropolitan University compiled a year long study of Manchester United’s 4v4 pilot programme (U9s). When comparing it to the 8v8 game he came up with the following findings.

– 135% - more passes

– 260% - more attempts on goal

– 225% - more 1 on 1 encounters

– 280% - more ‘tricks’ attempted

Martin Diggle, a development coach at Bolton Wanderers has talked to many coaches and academics around the world and did his own study on decision making in small sided games.

GAME SIZE
                              MINIMUM
                              MAXIMUM
                              AVERAGE

3V3

4V4

5V5

6V6

These figures were based on 10 minute line soccer games with the player in possession.

Kids at all levels of the game need this game therapy for their enjoyment, their football development and for the sheer celebration of being a child.

From my own personal observations, from the research above (and this is just a small section) and from the hundreds of email I have received from coaches now using these games, the transformation and enjoyment of players has been nothing short of staggering.

Keep them ‘playing’!

“We have to be faithful to the way we want to play the game”

Arsene Wenger.
                              Great stuff. Now go start a national tour with tournaments every weekend through the summer to generate some interest and maybe we'll all start playing 4 v 4 instead. Until then my kids will be playing 3 v 3.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X