Sunrise Sting National Signing Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ true and families making over 200 have qualified for aid from an Ivy. Having said that, the cost of 4 yrs at heritage is probably close to what a single yr at an Ivy is.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      ^ true and families making over 200 have qualified for aid from an Ivy. Having said that, the cost of 4 yrs at heritage is probably close to what a single yr at an Ivy is.
      Who cares if it doesn’t give athletic $ are you all nuts? Playing at an Ivy League school is tremendous and still one of the hardest things to get is a recruited roster spot on an Ivy League team. But who even cares about D1 or not. It’s more about your kid going to the right school for their major and what they want to be. There are top D2 and especially D3 schools all over t(e country that your kid can also still play college soccer at so who cares if they are D1 or not? Do you really think you’d rather have your kid go to play soccer at the Univrsiity of Jacksonville D1 over MIT or Emory D3? It’s not about D1 you morons, it’s about a great education too!

Comment

Who cares if it doesn’t give athletic $ are you all nuts? Playing at an Ivy League school is tremendous and still one of the hardest things to get is a recruited roster spot on an Ivy League team. But who even cares about D1 or not. It’s more about your kid going to the right school for their major and what they want to be. There are top D2 and especially D3 schools all over t(e country that your kid can also still play college soccer at so who cares if they are D1 or not? Do you really think you’d rather have your kid go to play soccer at the Univrsiity of Jacksonville D1 over MIT or Emory D3? It’s not about D1 you morons, it’s about a great education too!
        I didn't read that anyone was disagreeing with you. I think that there was a question as to if Ivies offer any sort of scholarships and, indeed, they do not.

To answer your question, though, there are plenty of people that would choose the middling state D1 over a great D3 or Ivy. For some it's because they can't afford the pricier school and for others, foolishly, getting that athletic scholarship means more to them than sending their kids to a great academic institution.

Comment

You're wrong.

What is it that you don't understand? Ivies do not give scholarships in any way, shape, or form. Not to the very best students and certainly not to athletes - the very best or otherwise....nada, nicht, rien, nothing....
          No, I’m not. This has been discussed already numerous times on here already. Parents with kids at Ivies and parents with kids that have been recruited hard by the Ivies have chimed in and explained EXACTLY how it works. Again, these particular players may have just used soccer to help with admittance and may or may not be getting aid, but some players DEFINITELY get aid one way or another.

I understand that you think you know everything. You don’t.

Comment

My kid goes to Heritage. Its not nearly as expensive as you say it is.

Comment

Today is a great day to celebrate the many athletes that signed NLI from all clubs including Sunrise - Coach Juan had a vision and has worked with many of these players in Broward since they were 10 years old on training and preparing for the entire soccer process for today and the future.
              Instead of being nasty why not congratulate these players and coaches on years of hard work both on and off the field to accomplish this as they finish their last year of club soccer and prepare for the next level of education and yes playing soccer in college.
              Congratulations to all the athletes that signed today.
              Yes congrats Juan, refreshing to see someone begin from scratch with so many kids vs the late grabbing non developing salesmen in Alan. Juan your a true south florida soccer leader and well Alan your next job will be in car sales.

Comment

No, I’m not. This has been discussed already numerous times on here already. Parents with kids at Ivies and parents with kids that have been recruited hard by the Ivies have chimed in and explained EXACTLY how it works. Again, these particular players may have just used soccer to help with admittance and may or may not be getting aid, but some players DEFINITELY get aid one way or another.

I'm not the person that you responded to.

Anyway, the person that you were responding to is correct. Ivy league schools don't give scholarships. There is exactly one form of aid that is offered and that is need-based. To the credit of the Ivies, they all try to award that aid in the form of grants. They all want grads to have as little debt as possible. That is why an Ivy or a school like the U of Chicago is often more affordable than many state schools with much lower price tags.

There are no academic or athletic scholarships. Fwiw, I have a kid at Brown.

Comment

Let me Google that for you: http://bfy.tw/MBQY

Comment

$30,720.00 is the quoted AH tuition for high school senior. So the poster was actually way off as $120k over high school is way more than 1 year at any Ivy, more like 3-4 years as most Ivy students get tons of aid. If your AH kid is on scholarship to make is less expensive, good for you, but invalidates your post.

Comment

You're right about two things -

1. Kids do use soccer, or other sports, to gain admittance to Ivy schools. The Ivy schools use something referred to as an Academic Index (AI). The AI takes test scores, subject test scores if required, and gpa. A certain AI must be attained in order to be considered for admission or to receive "support" from a coach to get admission. The AI must be within a certain standard deviation from the general school population. As such, it is often easier for a supported athlete, or those that receive a "likely letter" to be admitted.

2. The other thing that you are correct about is athletes receiving aid. They do receive aid - need-based aid. As others have told you, there are simply no scholarships.

Comment

You're right about two things -

1. Kids do use soccer, or other sports, to gain admittance to Ivy schools. The Ivy schools use something referred to as an Academic Index (AI). The AI takes test scores, subject test scores if required, and gpa. A certain AI must be attained in order to be considered for admission or to receive "support" from a coach to get admission. The AI must be within a certain standard deviation from the general school population. As such, it is often easier for a supported athlete, or those that receive a "likely letter" to be admitted.

2. The other thing that you are correct about is athletes receiving aid. They do receive aid - need-based aid. As others have told you, there are simply no scholarships.

Did anywhere in my post use the word “scholarship?” No, I did not.

Did I say...specifically...that athletes get “aid one way or another?” Yes, I did.

English. Learn to read it and comprehend the nuances of it.

Comment

I'm not the person that you responded to.

Anyway, the person that you were responding to is correct. Ivy league schools don't give scholarships. There is exactly one form of aid that is offered and that is need-based. To the credit of the Ivies, they all try to award that aid in the form of grants. They all want grads to have as little debt as possible. That is why an Ivy or a school like the U of Chicago is often more affordable than many state schools with much lower price tags.

There are no academic or athletic scholarships. Fwiw, I have a kid at Brown.
                          Please see the above explanation. Thank you.

Comment

It's 25K a year. That's expensive for HS.

Comment

As someone else mentioned, there are no scholarships, either athletic or merit based, at the Ivies. That means the kids going to Cornell, Yale, and Columbia are not getting scholarships. All aid is need-based only.
                              It is not always about the money. Athletics opens the door to very good students who want an Ivy league education. If their families can afford it, hooray! If they can work some need based aid, even better! It's an amazing accomplishment for those players that shows their balance of academics and athletics.

Comment

"Just as a side note, there are no athletic scholarships at Ivy League schools. (only need-based, or grants)."

I am the one who started this sh!t show by making the above statement. I was simply correcting someone who was congratulating all the Sunrise girls on their "scholarships".

I was not making a judgment on whether attending an Ivy League school was good or bad, or whether it was a great accomplishment or not.

There just seems to be a lot of confusion among (newer) parents that believe that all athletic commitments equal scholarship money, as well as the lack of understanding that the Ivy League schools (only those 8 specific schools in that particular league) offer zero money for athletics (only need-based).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X