Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugly Soccer Wins Again

This likely is going to be unpopular, but our team does not play "The Beautiful Game." We are athletic, can execute a game plan, have speed (of course), but overall, I would not say our game is beautiful. But who cares -- we win. Actually, I wish we could play "The Beautiful Game" and win!

Not at all. Team puts a lot of pressure on their opponents. They are physical too and the Spanish players did not like to play against it.

Comment

Good Ol Murican Soccer.

Its a shame the men's teams in other countries have enough talent to shut the physicality down.

These ladies are beast mode though! Bring it on FROGS!!!

Comment

You obviously never played competitive soccer , a win at a world cup is a win , NEXT

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Not at all. Team puts a lot of pressure on their opponents. They are physical too and the Spanish players did not like to play against it.
          I think quite the opposite. I think the Americans aren't used to playing teams that are as physical as they are and it throws them off their game. They were crying for fouls all game.

I also thought it was pretty evident when they called Morgan off from taking that second PK that they were a bit scared. You let Morgan take it so the 5 against Thailand aren't her only goals for the tournament. You let Rapinoe take it, if you really need that goal to take the lead.

Comment

You obviously never played competitive soccer , a win at a world cup is a win , NEXT
            On the contrary. I have played competitive soccer. I am not talking about this one particular win. I mean in general, our focus is on aspects of the game that don't necessarily translate into a Beautiful Game (aka Ugly Soccer). But as you so brilliantly wrote, a win at a world cup is a win. That earlier BS phrase just shows your ignorance to assume someone who can assess the style of play for the US as unattractive surely hasn't played competitive soccer. Typical American mindset. And THAT's what irks me.

Comment

On the contrary. I have played competitive soccer. I am not talking about this one particular win. I mean in general, our focus is on aspects of the game that don't necessarily translate into a Beautiful Game (aka Ugly Soccer). But as you so brilliantly wrote, a win at a world cup is a win. That earlier BS phrase just shows your ignorance to assume someone who can assess the style of play for the US as unattractive surely hasn't played competitive soccer. Typical American mindset. And THAT's what irks me.
              Typical non-American mindset to always find a reason to say anything about America is ugly. I have seen some ugly soccer from very good European and South American teams as well. Does that mean they don't play "pretty soccer"? No, it means it was an ugly game. Someone else mentioned that Spain played physical and it made USA adjust and try to counter that physicality. This is what made the game ugly. The USWNT typically plays very pretty tactical soccer. You are just another non-American mindsetted person that has nothing good to say about American soccer (that being, it is USMNT or that its the women). Don't hold USMNT play against the women. $h!t, your country has probably just started letting women play. No wonder you don't like it. Go back to the cave.

Comment

France is going to beat us, and I'm giddy for it to happen.

Comment

Of course you are. Typical hater.

Comment

France's last 2 games have been crap. Should have tied Nigeria, thanks VAR.

It will be a good game. If they hadn't had 2 crappy games, I would agree that France would win but they are not as dominate as everyone thought before the tournament.

Comment

No doubt you're an anti-American liberal POS.

Comment

Typical non-American mindset to always find a reason to say anything about America is ugly. I have seen some ugly soccer from very good European and South American teams as well. Does that mean they don't play "pretty soccer"? No, it means it was an ugly game. Someone else mentioned that Spain played physical and it made USA adjust and try to counter that physicality. This is what made the game ugly. The USWNT typically plays very pretty tactical soccer. You are just another non-American mindsetted person that has nothing good to say about American soccer (that being, it is USMNT or that its the women). Don't hold USMNT play against the women. $h!t, your country has probably just started letting women play. No wonder you don't like it. Go back to the cave.
                        First of all, I am American. If that wasn't clear in the "we" in my initial post, let me clarify. Second, I did play competitive soccer. Third, I didn't say other teams didn't play Ugly Soccer either. Fourth, I am not speaking on one specific game. My assessment of our women's team (and the men's too) is that the overall style of play is not all that attractive. It gets the job done, we have amazing, athletic players, we are strong and we are fast. I can look at my team objectively and recognize flaws. For me, that is one of our flaws. If you don't like it, sue me! That's about as American as anything!

Comment

Then don't include your sorry self with "us". US pulls for OUR National Team, "us" doesn't get giddy at for the possibility of losing to another country.

Comment

So if you are a soccer pro , then you must have watched Italy’s last 2 World Cup wins - beautiful soccer was the last thing on anyone’s mind when watching them win those world cups

But hate away , I’m sure Colombia or Peru or what ever country you hail from , play beautiful soccer til it actually matters

Comment

First of all, I am American. If that wasn't clear in the "we" in my initial post, let me clarify. Second, I did play competitive soccer. Third, I didn't say other teams didn't play Ugly Soccer either. Fourth, I am not speaking on one specific game. My assessment of our women's team (and the men's too) is that the overall style of play is not all that attractive. It gets the job done, we have amazing, athletic players, we are strong and we are fast. I can look at my team objectively and recognize flaws. For me, that is one of our flaws. If you don't like it, sue me! That's about as American as anything!
                              So you just have a hardon for non-American soccer (which is it? English, Spanish, French, German, or Mexican soccer you think is PRETTY). Got it. Point out flaws in the game but don't generalize what the USWNT does as ugly. That just shows your animosity towards soccer played by Americans. Yes I played competitive soccer too. My U16 comp team was almost the best in my county. ;)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X