Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It takes a goal to win a game - defense can keep teams from losing but unless they score too, they don’t win games. ��. But it is almost always the goalies fault when a team loses a game.
    Can't win if your defense can't allow fewer goals than offense scores......... see what I did there? duh.

Comment

It's not a hard concept.

Messi is more skilled than Pique

Ronaldo is more skilled than Ramos

Salah is more skilled than Van Dyke.

It's just the way it is. Defenders are always needed, but goal scorers and skilled players are what makes the money and wins the games.
      skilled. sure. But Boetang and Sergio Ramos will kick your tiny punk arse if you try that cute shiote.

Comment

Forwards get moved to the backline as they get older because they are not good enough to score anymore. Scoring goals is the number one hardest thing to do in soccer.

There is no dispute about that from anyone that knows the game. A kid can't score anymore, put him on the backline. It happens all the time.
        Stupidiest thing I have heard in long time. That is like saying defenders get moved to forward when they can't defend any more. Players get moved to defense because they are more athletic with size and can body up and boss your puny child trying to score goals dribbling close enough to goal to score.

Comment

Forwards get moved to the backline as they get older because they are not good enough to score anymore. Scoring goals is the number one hardest thing to do in soccer.

There is no dispute about that from anyone that knows the game. A kid can't score anymore, put him on the backline. It happens all the time.
          https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ions-in-sports

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/top...sitions-sports

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/esp...football-pitch

Goalkeeper is the most difficult position in soccer and one of the top 3 most difficult positions in all of sports.

Comment

Stupidiest thing I have heard in long time. That is like saying defenders get moved to forward when they can't defend any more. Players get moved to defense because they are more athletic with size and can body up and boss your puny child trying to score goals dribbling close enough to goal to score.
            "bodying up" like you said is like item 8 of 10 things a central defender needs to do. Positioning is crucial. if a central defender does not understand tactically where he needs to be, he can be the incredible hulk, it will make no difference. he will be a liability. at any level that is decent, you need to learn how to play out the back. this means the central defender needs to be comfortable with the ball, read the defense and make precise passes, or take space, if given. at the professional level, there are players that check all the boxes and are then subsequently differentiated according to size. but it is wrong to put large, physical players in central defense that do NOT have the other qualities. you end up with FL style kickball. if you have a choice in central defense between a small player with defensive instincts that can play and a defensive end that just "bodies up," take the small player all day.

Comment

"bodying up" like you said is like item 8 of 10 things a central defender needs to do. Positioning is crucial. if a central defender does not understand tactically where he needs to be, he can be the incredible hulk, it will make no difference. he will be a liability. at any level that is decent, you need to learn how to play out the back. this means the central defender needs to be comfortable with the ball, read the defense and make precise passes, or take space, if given. at the professional level, there are players that check all the boxes and are then subsequently differentiated according to size. but it is wrong to put large, physical players in central defense that do NOT have the other qualities. you end up with FL style kickball. if you have a choice in central defense between a small player with defensive instincts that can play and a defensive end that just "bodies up," take the small player all day.
              You make some fair points though the post you are responding to did not dispute most of it. Your conclusion is very flawed. You hardly ever seen tiny center backs for a reason. Center backs have to play physical since they are at a disadvantage when faster players with moves are coming at them in the open field. Shoulder charges and shielding the ball are the equalizers. Not all players have the tools and ability to do that well.

Comment

You make some fair points though the post you are responding to did not dispute most of it. Your conclusion is very flawed. You hardly ever seen tiny center backs for a reason. Center backs have to play physical since they are at a disadvantage when faster players with moves are coming at them in the open field. Shoulder charges and shielding the ball are the equalizers. Not all players have the tools and ability to do that well.
                like i said, if there is a larger player with the same skill set, go with the larger player.

but if i had to choose between either (1) going with a small CB that knows how to play, knowing that I will give up goals, but accomplish a style of play, or (2) going with a large CB that does not know how to play, may not give up as many goals, but will ruin the teams style of play, I go with the small CB all day long. a central defender that does not know how to distribute the ball will not link with midfield or break lines, and will hurt the entire team, not just give away occasional goals. this player will also be out of position frequently and this will also be a defensive liability. i would go with the smaller player because it makes for a better team. of course, if a larger player is available that can handle duties, that would be preferable. but i was just refuting idea that you can take a big lumbering striker that doesn't know how to play CB and drop him into the backline. not at all.

Comment

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ions-in-sports

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/top...sitions-sports

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/esp...football-pitch

Goalkeeper is the most difficult position in soccer and one of the top 3 most difficult positions in all of sports.
                  Goalkeepers start that position from a very early age cause they were awful with their soccer ability on the field. Evrey single one of them. After goalkeepers the second worst become Defenders.I don't see a argument here.

Comment

Goalkeepers start that position from a very early age cause they were awful with their soccer ability on the field. Evrey single one of them. After goalkeepers the second worst become Defenders.I don't see a argument here.
                    The weak and cry babies and kids with parents who only see value in scoring play striker. The mentally tough grinders who like to initiate the offense out of the back and will shut down the opposing strikers become defenders.

Comment

Couldn't disagree more. Good Goalkeepers continue to play on the field and develop footskills. Bad lower level keepers were bad field players and will continue to stink.

Comment

This whole thread is dumb. It takes more skills to be a defender than to play any other position. Only Americans that have never played the sport would state otherwise.

Comment

This is by far the best thread in awhile. Bickering over the kids is not the problem here. It’s all the poor coaching. “Gotta defend”, “if we don’t concede with 6 in the back, we can tie or hopefully get a foul to win with a cheapie”. The coaching philosophy has to change. The daddy coaches out there need to be educated better.
                          The best players are the defensive mid fielders. They take whatever job they want when they’re older. I’ll give you whatever 10 field players you want and I’ll beat you to death with 10 defensive mids. No matter the size.

Comment

When Striker and attacking mid parents brag about all the goals I remind them of how their kid squeals and flops like a dying salmon when my centerback uproots his ass.

Comment

This is by far the best thread in awhile. Bickering over the kids is not the problem here. It’s all the poor coaching. “Gotta defend”, “if we don’t concede with 6 in the back, we can tie or hopefully get a foul to win with a cheapie”. The coaching philosophy has to change. The daddy coaches out there need to be educated better.
                              The best players are the defensive mid fielders. They take whatever job they want when they’re older. I’ll give you whatever 10 field players you want and I’ll beat you to death with 10 defensive mids. No matter the size.
                              Size matters unless you are super-quick and super-skilled ala Messi. Even he gets put on his arse a lot.

Comment

When Striker and attacking mid parents brag about all the goals I remind them of how their kid squeals and flops like a dying salmon when my centerback uproots his ass.
                                LOL, nothing better than nice slide tackle ending with a strikers feet point upward.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X