Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High School Soccer – To Play or Not to Play.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High School Soccer – To Play or Not to Play.

https://www.soccerparenting.com/high...r-not-to-play/

We are in a weird space in our house. My daughter (not in HS yet) doesn't want to play HS soccer. Her team has traditionally been very good, but the pipeline looks like it's eroding.

All the talking points FOR playing HS ball don't apply to her. Personally, I wish she wouldn't be so against it as I like the social aspect of it. But, she views school as a place to take classes, and sports are elsewhere.

Comment

As an aside and as a subscriber to soccerparenting.com, a lot of parents could learn a lot from the content that is posted on that site. It completely changed me as a soccer parent, and for the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        We are in a weird space in our house. My daughter (not in HS yet) doesn't want to play HS soccer. Her team has traditionally been very good, but the pipeline looks like it's eroding.

All the talking points FOR playing HS ball don't apply to her. Personally, I wish she wouldn't be so against it as I like the social aspect of it. But, she views school as a place to take classes, and sports are elsewhere.
        I would leave this decision to her, but also keep in mind that because she's not in HS yet she's young, and kids this young don't know what they want and change their minds often. Once she gets to HS she could change her mind for example, if she has local friends that play on the HS team and she wants to be part of it. My D will be attending HS in a couple of years. From my point of view there is something to be said for playing too much soccer as well(Club and HS). Not only do you risk injury and burnout but it could affect her grades and social life outside of the game. I don't really want her to play HS but I'll worry about it when she gets there.

Comment

All 4 girls will be playing for Brookline HS this season. Will now be favorite in BSL !!!!

Comment

My kid has been looking at the Globe All -Scholastics since 5th. grade. This will be his year to see his pic in that Sunday paper!

Comment

One of mine just graduated - wouldn't have given it up for anything, no regrets, not even when things were really sucky. He will play in college, but more importantly he followed his own path. His younger sister had a good first year on V as a frosh, plenty of PT but isn't a fan of the coach and the team is awful. But she loves her teammates and all the other stuff, so leaving is a tough call. I think girls have a harder time walking away from that vs boys, but then again my boy stayed too despite more than one DA opportunity. They really have to decide from themselves. One of his old club teammates got pushed into DA by his dad and just isn't happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                As an aside and as a subscriber to soccerparenting.com, a lot of parents could learn a lot from the content that is posted on that site. It completely changed me as a soccer parent, and for the better.
                This post brought to you by soccerparenting.com

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  All 4 girls will be playing for Brookline HS this season. Will now be favorite in BSL !!!!
                  You have 4 girls playing on one high school team?!

Comment

My son played DA for many years and then played his senior year in HS. He had an amazing experience and did not regret that move for one second. I let him decided what he wanted to do and supported him. DA took up more time away from school in social life and studying. He made DA work and got good grades. He is playing in college.

Only thing I would say is the level of your HS should factor into playing or not. A bottom level might not be much fun and might not get any benefit out of it. If the HS is playing in the top division it's a no-brainer to me. The coach might not be the greatest, but the experience and being part of your school is something to be remembered.

Let your kids decide.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X