Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Club Soccer 2004 Birth Year/Freshmen HS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So if the fall club season is meaningless, freshman 04 should go ahead and play HS and if it feels like the right decision that week show up and play with the cobbled together 04s
    04s should play high school if they want and should not have to worry about sneaking in club games during the season. It is not healthy. Also, it is not their responsibility to play extra to accommodate the 8th graders. There are plenty of options for “trapped” 8th graders. It’s not like you didn’t know it was coming. Plan accordingly- Go DA, join a trapped 8th grader team, train on your own, play the fall under the trapped player rule, apply to a prep school and play as an 8th grader. Clubs shouldn’t be putting pressure on kids double up in the fall to accommodate a prized Little Lionel or Mini Mia. Clubs do enough for rhose kids.

Comment

04s should play high school if they want and should not have to worry about sneaking in club games during the season. It is not healthy. Also, it is not their responsibility to play extra to accommodate the 8th graders. There are plenty of options for “trapped” 8th graders. It’s not like you didn’t know it was coming. Plan accordingly- Go DA, join a trapped 8th grader team, train on your own, play the fall under the trapped player rule, apply to a prep school and play as an 8th grader. Clubs shouldn’t be putting pressure on kids double up in the fall to accommodate a prized Little Lionel or Mini Mia. Clubs do enough for rhose kids.
      Do you have a life? All of your comments are insulting and not helpful. Does it make you feel good to write insulting posts all the time. Internet tough guy. Seems like you work for a club and are aggravated at parents and kids...you should find a different line of work.

Comment

Do you have a life? All of your comments are insulting and not helpful. Does it make you feel good to write insulting posts all the time. Internet tough guy. Seems like you work for a club and are aggravated at parents and kids...you should find a different line of work.
        Original poster had a valid point. Just because you didn’t plan doesn’t mean we should over extend our kids. High school is a tough enough adjustment. The kids don’t need to take anything more on.

Comment

Original poster had a valid point. Just because you didn’t plan doesn’t mean we should over extend our kids. High school is a tough enough adjustment. The kids don’t need to take anything more on.
          Wah! That 3 hour travel/play block on Sunday is too much for Johnny? Please. As for planning, the plan WAS these 9th graders would play but now that the HS "program" needs their full attention (under penalty of benching or exclusion) THEIR plans have changed. As for adjusting to HS, how about the value of the continuity of their club teammates to help them thru it? Maybe that doesn't fit the narrative the weaker HS teams will try to sell, which is "the soccer is dire, but the experience is great", but wouldn't it be great to be able to make a choice that fits for your kid?
          I think the coaches of teams that are poor year in/year out put extra emphasis on the camaraderie/HS experience/bonding/commitment/"be true to your school"... angle to compensate for their systemic weaknesses. Can't develop talent in your town? Don't worry, just say it is all about the "high school experience" and extend your contract another year. Can't coach up the product? No problem, just say you are more interested in 'building character'. Playing High School soccer is like learning High School Spanish--short lived, unsatisfying, and won't help you order dinner in Madrid.

Comment

Wah! That 3 hour travel/play block on Sunday is too much for Johnny? Please. As for planning, the plan WAS these 9th graders would play but now that the HS "program" needs their full attention (under penalty of benching or exclusion) THEIR plans have changed. As for adjusting to HS, how about the value of the continuity of their club teammates to help them thru it? Maybe that doesn't fit the narrative the weaker HS teams will try to sell, which is "the soccer is dire, but the experience is great", but wouldn't it be great to be able to make a choice that fits for your kid?
            I think the coaches of teams that are poor year in/year out put extra emphasis on the camaraderie/HS experience/bonding/commitment/"be true to your school"... angle to compensate for their systemic weaknesses. Can't develop talent in your town? Don't worry, just say it is all about the "high school experience" and extend your contract another year. Can't coach up the product? No problem, just say you are more interested in 'building character'. Playing High School soccer is like learning High School Spanish--short lived, unsatisfying, and won't help you order dinner in Madrid.
            Continuity with their club teammates? Thats' what social media and texting is for. Their focus should be integrating into HS. It's a big adjustment for all freshmen. Just the workload alone is a slammer, let alone having HS sports 5-6 days a week with longer practices and bus rides on school nights than with club. They're going to be spending much of their waking hours for the next four years with those kids. Club will always be there in November. We're talking about missing 2.5 months of club at the most, even less if you're JV. It's not going to hurt anyone's soccer career or friendships unless they let it.

Best solution is get rid of the stupid calendar year mandate outside of DA, but that ship has sailed and may never return to port.

Comment

Hey snowflake. If you were insulted by that comment you really are on the wrong forum.

Comment

The dad asked for a simple straight-forward advice, but the usual suspects of TS responded with sarcasm, name-calling, half truths etc. Here are my 2 cents based on my experience in HS & club soccer: MIAA and schools changed the old "bona fide" loyalty to HS sports teams, formerly known as the "hockey rule" which prohibited athletes from participating in 2 practices (HS and club) in a single day, and dual-rostering. MIAA and schools believe that parents are in the best position to decide what is good for their kids. Familiarize yourself with Rule #45 "loyalty to school teams", i.e. your son/daughter is considered a bona fide member of her school team after the tryouts and only after he/she accepts a roster position. You don't need permission for your HS coach, but here is a "caveat": Your son/daughter can't skip or miss a HS practice or game. Granted most HS teams don't play on Sundays, however, some coaches do schedule Sunday practices, because of rainouts, and/or before BIG games on Mondays. The weather in October is always dicey, and with the MIAA's cut-off date (last day a game can be played) looming in the horizon, it is not unusual to schedule games on Sundays. The penalty is a 2 game suspension or 2 weeks whichever is harsher. Furthermore, if you take the advice of the "don't ask/don't tell" guy and your son/daughter plays for his/her HS team, all games played while your kid was secretly in violation must be forfeited. Potential list of people who are going to snitch on your kid: teammates, and parents, esp. those who are jealous, club teammates, rival schools etc. Furthermore, serious club soccer for U14 and up don't start until after thanksgiving. Please don't ask your club coach for advice. Most of them are "snake-oil salesmen" and think HS soccer is "rubbish". Do what's best for your kid, but give HS & club coaches heads-up.

Comment

The dad asked for a simple straight-forward advice, but the usual suspects of TS responded with sarcasm, name-calling, half truths etc. Here are my 2 cents based on my experience in HS & club soccer: MIAA and schools changed the old "bona fide" loyalty to HS sports teams, formerly known as the "hockey rule" which prohibited athletes from participating in 2 practices (HS and club) in a single day, and dual-rostering. MIAA and schools believe that parents are in the best position to decide what is good for their kids. Familiarize yourself with Rule #45 "loyalty to school teams", i.e. your son/daughter is considered a bona fide member of her school team after the tryouts and only after he/she accepts a roster position. You don't need permission for your HS coach, but here is a "caveat": Your son/daughter can't skip or miss a HS practice or game. Granted most HS teams don't play on Sundays, however, some coaches do schedule Sunday practices, because of rainouts, and/or before BIG games on Mondays. The weather in October is always dicey, and with the MIAA's cut-off date (last day a game can be played) looming in the horizon, it is not unusual to schedule games on Sundays. The penalty is a 2 game suspension or 2 weeks whichever is harsher. Furthermore, if you take the advice of the "don't ask/don't tell" guy and your son/daughter plays for his/her HS team, all games played while your kid was secretly in violation must be forfeited. Potential list of people who are going to snitch on your kid: teammates, and parents, esp. those who are jealous, club teammates, rival schools etc. Furthermore, serious club soccer for U14 and up don't start until after thanksgiving. Please don't ask your club coach for advice. Most of them are "snake-oil salesmen" and think HS soccer is "rubbish". Do what's best for your kid, but give HS & club coaches heads-up.
                  Good post to which I will also add - like it or not HS sports can be very political. If your kid gets busted, or even worse costs the team games, it won't sit well with the high school coach for a really long time. Your kid better be a g-dam rock star to make up for it. But you were that good you wouldn't be worried about PT and needed to squeeze in some half-hearted club games.

Comment

Hey snowflake. If you were insulted by that comment you really are on the wrong forum.
                    It's not the one post...it's the thousands of posts where you constantly reference lil Mia and Messi. I hope I hear you on the sidelines one day...referencing lil Mia/Messi. We'll see who's a snowflake.

But I doubt you will...always hiding behind your keyboard.

Comment

It's not the one post...it's the thousands of posts where you constantly reference lil Mia and Messi. I hope I hear you on the sidelines one day...referencing lil Mia/Messi. We'll see who's a snowflake.

But I doubt you will...always hiding behind your keyboard.
                      While you may be right that one poster has many posts, I am not that poster, and I use "Mia". I think it's a fairly common phrase on TS and not the Tell that you think it is.

Comment

Good post to which I will also add - like it or not HS sports can be very political. If your kid gets busted, or even worse costs the team games, it won't sit well with the high school coach for a really long time. Your kid better be a g-dam rock star to make up for it. But you were that good you wouldn't be worried about PT and needed to squeeze in some half-hearted club games.
                        My understanding is that a player can not be "busted" for simply going to a club activity. The infraction is missing any scheduled HS activity (practice, meeting, game) for a club event. Doesn't matter if it is same or different sport. For instance a HS Athlete focused on Lacrosse, but playing soccer in fall can't miss a Friday practice to fly to a fall-ball lax showcase (even if there are no soccer games/practices over weekend)

So general advice is that if your D chooses to play HS soccer (at any level), you can not make any club commitments, and you should not expect her to attend club events. But, if in the parents opinion it is OK that day, attending a club activity (e.g. Sunday practice) is not an MIAA violation.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X