Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Club Soccer 2004 Birth Year/Freshmen HS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So you are saying playing club soccer while playing high school soccer is an option in Massachusetts? I do not have a kid in high school so I do not know for sure but I was under the impression the rule in Connecticut was that any high school kids do not have the option to play. Strange that two adjoining states would play by two totally different set of rules but I guess anything is possible.
    Its clearly not an approved nor recommended option. In MA the club leagues shut down in the fall for HS aged kids (except DA). The switch to BY created a problem/opportunity for clubs related to the "orphaned 8th grader" with a sep-dec birthday who has no league to play in during the fall because her BY (Jan - Aug) is now in HS.

Thread starter is saying his situation is that his 04 is a freshman, and has option to play club season. I'm assuming this Is essentially a fall silly season that was created to accommodate the orphaned 04s (still 8th graders) and even freshman who are not satisfied with HS option.

While it seems crazy to do both HS and club, I can are scenarios where it may make sense for a particular player. It is also far less wear and tear than the girls who play HS lacrosse and club soccer in the spring - and that's pretty common

Comment

Its clearly not an approved nor recommended option. In MA the club leagues shut down in the fall for HS aged kids (except DA). The switch to BY created a problem/opportunity for clubs related to the "orphaned 8th grader" with a sep-dec birthday who has no league to play in during the fall because her BY (Jan - Aug) is now in HS.

Thread starter is saying his situation is that his 04 is a freshman, and has option to play club season. I'm assuming this Is essentially a fall silly season that was created to accommodate the orphaned 04s (still 8th graders) and even freshman who are not satisfied with HS option.
      Putting this in fully Dickensian terms, the “orphaned 8th graders” need some “Captive 9th graders” to be loosed from the bondage of their HS servitude to fill club rosters and, once so freed, then and only then may the children play...

Comment

Putting this in fully Dickensian terms, the “orphaned 8th graders” need some “Captive 9th graders” to be loosed from the bondage of their HS servitude to fill club rosters and, once so freed, then and only then may the children play...
        Well done.

My S will be an “orphaned 8th grader” next year. I can easily ask his coach next time I talk to him, but I’ll go for the easy keyboard warrior way for now... is there any NPL-ish competition in the fall for the orphans? Was the “fall silly season” a typo, or do you mean it’s basically friendlies with no bearing on anything — just an excuse to play?

If so, that sounds fine. Good to have an option.

Comment

Some leagues/clubs let orphaned older 8th graders play down in the fall. That's the most logical and easiest solution. The kids are only a few months older and physical differences aren't that big a deal. Of course the most logical solution is to go back to school year teams since it rally only matters for maybe, at most, the top 5% of all players in the US.

HS players not getting enough PT have to find their own solutions. They want to make V as freshman but that most often comes at a cost - very little PT so be careful what you wish for. Our boys/girls teams will have a few frosh make it but maybe only two will get decent PT. The solution is all the V frosh and even some sophomores practice with V but play JV whenever possible, It's in the V coach's best interest to have those players training and playing as much as possible so they are better prepared to step up as older players age out or even get injured.

Comment

Well done.

My S will be an “orphaned 8th grader” next year. I can easily ask his coach next time I talk to him, but I’ll go for the easy keyboard warrior way for now... is there any NPL-ish competition in the fall for the orphans? Was the “fall silly season” a typo, or do you mean it’s basically friendlies with no bearing on anything — just an excuse to play?

If so, that sounds fine. Good to have an option.
            Most clubs won't have enough orphaned 8th graders at NPL level to form a team, so I'm pretty sure the NEP doesn't have an NPL bracket in the fall. Our club, which usually has three teams for the '04 birth year, is combining the orphans from all three teams just to create one team to play in the fall. So, silly season means your NPL player will be playing with lower level players for 2.5 months. Not a big deal, and at least it's an option to keep getting touches on the ball and having some fun before the serious training starts in Nov.

Comment

Hard to expect these HS coaches to understand the subtleties of 8th & 9th grade player development—much less care about it given their immediate needs. Of course, we all know where catering to immediate needs gets us. I love HS sports, but that comes with a lot of tongue-biting. Someone said of HS football coaching “You have to be smart enough to do the job and dumb enough to think it matters.” Oh well. It’s a short season.

Comment

This may be the greatest gaffe of BY change. My 02 with Oct birthday was first to go through it 2 years ago. Club put together a Frankenstein team that played meaningless games, and then “the real” teams got back together for thanksgiving tournaments. I expected/hoped things would improve, but from what I can see it was still silly last year.

What is club offering for a Freshman 04?

Comment

This may be the greatest gaffe of BY change. My 02 with Oct birthday was first to go through it 2 years ago. Club put together a Frankenstein team that played meaningless games, and then “the real” teams got back together for thanksgiving tournaments. I expected/hoped things would improve, but from what I can see it was still silly last year.

What is club offering for a Freshman 04?
                  We did something similar as well. We had a team made up of 8th grade players from our A and B teams. They played a fall season within our state association, and when the HS season was over, they split into their teams and started the real soccer season.

Comment

We did something similar as well. We had a team made up of 8th grade players from our A and B teams. They played a fall season within our state association, and when the HS season was over, they split into their teams and started the real soccer season.
                    So if the fall club season is meaningless, freshman 04 should go ahead and play HS and if it feels like the right decision that week show up and play with the cobbled together 04s

Comment

So if the fall club season is meaningless, freshman 04 should go ahead and play HS and if it feels like the right decision that week show up and play with the cobbled together 04s
                      If they play HS, I would skip fall club. Sometimes you will have 4 HS games over a 6 day span, and a lot of coaches do not give days off so players get pretty beat up during the season.

Comment

Some of you people are crazy.

If your kid is playing HS, there is no logical reason to play club in the fall.

When would little Mia even have a chance to do her homework and eat dinner assuming the HS practices right after school and club is in the evening.

Priorities people, schoolwork needs to come first at this age, especially before playing extra soccer, there is a reason club doesn’t have a fall season for HS aged kids. You kid has a better chance of getting $ for his/her grades rather than soccer.

Maybe I’m off base and it is more important to tell your friends/co-workers that Mia is so busy juggelling 2 soccer teams and is the leading scorer on a team made up of kids who dont play HS Soccer than saying she is really settling into HS and getting good grades.

At some point you CAN stop drinking the kool-aide.

Comment

When would little Mia even have a chance to do her homework and eat dinner assuming the HS practices right after school and club is in the evening.

Priorities people, schoolwork needs to come first at this age, especially before playing extra soccer, there is a reason club doesn’t have a fall season for HS aged kids. You kid has a better chance of getting $ for his/her grades rather than soccer.

Maybe I’m off base and it is more important to tell your friends/co-workers that Mia is so busy juggelling 2 soccer teams and is the leading scorer on a team made up of kids who dont play HS Soccer than saying she is really settling into HS and getting good grades.

Talking about 90 minutes on a Sunday to help keep the 8th grade 04s playing. Not a full club commitment for the fall.

Comment

Take a breath Mama.... inhale..... exhale....
                            No one advocated for full commitment to HS and Club. Only a particular (not every) week player wanted join her teammates, it’s an option if parents approve.

The madness you describe above does indeed happen every spring when girls play HS Lacrosse and full club soccer. Not uncommon at all

Comment

I see your posts frequently in TS because you always use the 'little Mia' name when you write your insulting opinions. You consistently over-generalize...for example...there can be a "logical reason" in some instances for a kid to play club while playing HS. For example, my kid started on a team where all the kids were new to the team. The coach had the the kids together for a practice 3 or 4 times over the fall HS season so the kids could get a chance to know each other.

Comment

You’re not gonna believe how quickly it’s all over! Play high school. It’s gonna be ok.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X