Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After D1 Soccer

What happens to all of these kids once the reach the dream of playing D1 Soccer...the dream comes to a grinding halt....then they just end up in the real world like everyone else...seems sad really...

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    What happens to all of these kids once the reach the dream of playing D1 Soccer...the dream comes to a grinding halt....then they just end up in the real world like everyone else...seems sad really...
    My kid did that. Made some great friends and learned a lot about teamwork and competition. Some employers like that on a resume. And it paid for half his college education.

Comment

We've gone onto the working world, similar to everyone else. Some employers like to see what you do besides just taking classes, and I've used the experiences gain by excelling in a team environment as a good example. It's helped me when I was starting out, and it's helped me in a management role as well.

I've made lifelong friends who we keep in touch with when possible. A few I still play with on Sunday mornings.

Life is a sum of your experiences, and this is just another one.

Comment

We've gone onto the working world, similar to everyone else. Some employers like to see what you do besides just taking classes, and I've used the experiences gain by excelling in a team environment as a good example. It's helped me when I was starting out, and it's helped me in a management role as well.

I've made lifelong friends who we keep in touch with when possible. A few I still play with on Sunday mornings.

Life is a sum of your experiences, and this is just another one.
        Go to school for education first and soccer second, whether its D1 or not. Turns out you need it.

Comment

I played D1 in another sport. It ends and life goes on, you get a job, get married, have a family, whatever, just like everything else. Not sure I understand your snarky-ness. No regrets.

Comment

My kid did that. Made some great friends and learned a lot about teamwork and competition. Some employers like that on a resume. And it paid for half his college education.
            The US military shuns soccer players as it’s a girlie game...

Comment

Hopefully they can settle in an area where there is a '3rd tier' US soccer team or a competitive amateur team to try out for.

Comment

Hopefully they can settle in an area where there is a '3rd tier' US soccer team or a competitive amateur team to try out for.
                They join the OTHSL, get married and have kids who will start the process all over again. Simple really.

Comment

Men’s soccer is the World’s most popular game. No other sport even comes close. All our Military Academies have teams. So go play your manly Neanderthal sport and mess up your brain like Mike Webster and Junior Seau did.

Comment

Actually, since the repeal of "Don't ask, don't tell" it's been much easier to be an openly playing soccer player. Most of my shipmates don't seem to mind that I play soccer. Usually I just get the snarky comment "It's not football, it's European". During the World Cup, we even watched some games on the mess deck TV. I had a lot of explaining to do, but hey it has to start somewhere!

Comment

I actually wonder more about what happens to the parents and the future of this excellent website

Comment

Actually, since the repeal of "Don't ask, don't tell" it's been much easier to be an openly playing soccer player. Most of my shipmates don't seem to mind that I play soccer. Usually I just get the snarky comment "It's not football, it's European". During the World Cup, we even watched some games on the mess deck TV. I had a lot of explaining to do, but hey it has to start somewhere!
                        I loved it when big ,sweaty , black sea men would get to shove their big pads up all up on me .Sometimes I would put the ball , nice and tucked into my stomach and roll around a couple of extra seconds just for the extra hit.

I miss those days playing football on the ship.

Comment

The only time it's sad is when former players can't let go. Yes you're supposed to move on into lcareers and relationships, get a more balanced life. You made great friends and memories. Soccer can always be a part of your life (or not), however much you want. But some former athletes can't stop reliving their glory days. They're usually the ones with the miserable kids.

Comment

And that's why there is good soccer to be found in Annapolis and West Point. I've played against both in both locations. Tons of fun.

Comment

Plenty of places to play for the ones who are good enough to play after college.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X