Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Beliefs are beliefs, and while I personally have no issue, I also will respect one's wishes. If she didn't want to wear the shirt as it supports a message her beliefs don't allow, then fine. She quietly, and respectfully, declined.

The bigger concern is that she is now shamed for following her beliefs. That should scare the crap out of anyone.
    And it actions like these that results in us having the President we do. What SJW's do not understand is that freedom cuts both ways. It would be very interesting, if in this situation, the player was Muslim and not Christian. I don't think it would be a stretch to presume that the reaction would have been different, or at least a heck of lot more muted.

Comment

The shirt is not saying she dies not believe that homosexuality is sinful.

It is saying homosexuals are equal.
      You do not understand how some religions and takes on some religions feel. So, she didn't want to be a hypocrite and support something her beliefs tell her she shouldn't.

It's really not that hard to understand. Everyone has beliefs, and if they hold them close and personal, I see no issue with it.

If, for example, they played a game in Mobile, Alabama and wanted to use numbers in the form of a confederate flag, I am sure many wouldn't want to wear that jersey. That's OK too.

Would that mean they can no longer play for the WNT? What is the difference?

Comment

The shirt is not saying she dies not believe that homosexuality is sinful.

It is saying homosexuals are equal.
        So we all have to think and believe the same things or we should be ostracized. Minority groups deserve protections under the law but no one has to take up their plight and pay homage to them if they dont want to or believe in their cause.

Comment

Are they? As I understand it, they don't support a lifestyle. She quietly held her beliefs to herself, true to her conviction. I admire that in anyone.
          I dont see how a team can successfully have team members who do not consider all the team members as equal. I presume she is heterosexual and no one is objecting to her heterosexual orientation and saying that she is not an equal to others on the team because of it.

Comment

I dont see how a team can successfully have team members who do not consider all the team members as equal. I presume she is heterosexual and no one is objecting to her heterosexual orientation and saying that she is not an equal to others on the team because of it.
            Where did she say she didn't consider her teammates equal?

Comment

She just got cut. I guess she's not equal. Should she sue?

Comment

Where did she say she didn't consider her teammates equal?
                Us soccer said the shirt was about equal access and anit discrimination. It is not about a moral judgement regarding homosexuality.

Comment

She just got cut. I guess she's not equal. Should she sue?
                  No team is all equal in ablity. If they are not equal because of race or religion or sexual orientation, how can they function?

Comment

Us soccer said the shirt was about equal access and anit discrimination. It is not about a moral judgement regarding homosexuality.
                    So, we should believe the US Soccer statements, but not hers?

The rainbow is a symbol of a lifestyle she does not support. She hasn't isolated herself from the rest of her teammates, the rest of the world. Just, didn't want it on her back. Again, I don't care (and my sister-in-law will attest to that), but I fully support people's freedoms to express their views.

The intolerance of a different opinion and the pitchfork crowd who go after anyone who thinks differently is scary.

The other OP mentioned something very interesting. What if she were Muslim? There would be a court case quicker than you could respond to this post saying she is being blackballed due to her religious beliefs.

Comment

So, we should believe the US Soccer statements, but not hers?

The rainbow is a symbol of a lifestyle she does not support. She hasn't isolated herself from the rest of her teammates, the rest of the world. Just, didn't want it on her back. Again, I don't care (and my sister-in-law will attest to that), but I fully support people's freedoms to express their views.

The intolerance of a different opinion and the pitchfork crowd who go after anyone who thinks differently is scary.

The other OP mentioned something very interesting. What if she were Muslim? There would be a court case quicker than you could respond to this post saying she is being blackballed due to her religious beliefs.
                      She can be Muslim, or Christian or buddist. She can't discriminated against others that are not of that religion. I mean she can but there might be consequences. Why does us soccer have to have a player that does not believe that all the team are equals?

Comment

No team is all equal in ablity. If they are not equal because of race or religion or sexual orientation, how can they function?
                        If you are on the team, you are equals. It's really quite simple.

Women's sports has hardly had barriers in place due to sexual preferences. My sister, who is gay, graduated HS in 78 and played D1 college softball, and thereafter coached categorically believes there were no issues in athletics. In fact, she would go so far as declaring that if anyone was shunned at that time, it was straight players. Again, these things cut both ways.

Comment

I would think the USMNT could use this as an opportunity to bridge all sides into a single team, and collectively overcome their cultural differences to succeed. You can be a member of this team no matter your religion, color, education, sexuality, etc.

But, they have made a determination that you cannot be a member of this team based on her individual religious beliefs.

The ACLU would have a field day with that line of thinking.

Comment

She can be Muslim, or Christian or buddist. She can't discriminated against others that are not of that religion. I mean she can but there might be consequences. Why does us soccer have to have a player that does not believe that all the team are equals?
                            Because someone doesn't believe in a lifestyle, you assume they do not view the other as an equal? That is quite a jump there Mr. thought police.

Why stop there, what about players that disagree with others who are drunks or drug users? And don't go saying that isn't an issue, or a lifestyle for that matter. Abby Wambauch has admitted to being a lush during her WNT days.

As a society we are sliding on an extremely slippery slope.

Comment

I would think the USMNT could use this as an opportunity to bridge all sides into a single team, and collectively overcome their cultural differences to succeed. You can be a member of this team no matter your religion, color, education, sexuality, etc.

But, they have made a determination that you cannot be a member of this team based on her individual religious beliefs.

The ACLU would have a field day with that line of thinking.
                              The ACLU is very particular about the causes they take up and the angle they take. I believe they would pass on this one.

Comment

If us soccer said the rainbow represented approval of a gay lifestyle theb fine. That is not what they said. She gets to tell us soccer what to the colors represent?

Another player thinks red represents opression of native Americans and refuses to wear a red jersey? Us soccer dictates what the jersey represents. They said it is about equality. by refusing to wear it she is giving the shirt a different meaning or she is objecting to the equal rights message.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X