Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Let me see this about that...... We will see the NCAA in November.
    Any decent coach would easily get BC into the top 64 in the country. Not making the NCAAs should be immediate cause for dismissal. BC is by far the most attractive school for women's soccer in New England and should be able to draw many of the top local players and beyond. The fact that they struggle is a testament to the poor coaching and recruiting.

And just making the tournament doesn't mean the coaching staff is doing a good job.

Comment

Just chiming in, when the path seems atypical, maybe they should. Might help others in similar situation. Some like myself do appreciate other experiences. Txs t-s
      Everyones situation is unique. there is no typical path. Those typing here assuming that their situation is unique or noteworthy are mistaken. No idea what they hope to gain from it. without all the facts, its impossible to relate.

Things like "she had ACC interest" means what ? "Ivies reached out" hmmm..ok What is anyone supposed to do with that ?

Comment

Any decent coach would easily get BC into the top 64 in the country. Not making the NCAAs should be immediate cause for dismissal. BC is by far the most attractive school for women's soccer in New England and should be able to draw many of the top local players and beyond. The fact that they struggle is a testament to the poor coaching and recruiting.

And just making the tournament doesn't mean the coaching staff is doing a good job.
        is it? i mean why would a top local player (If that good) not aim higher ? I dont think we have "local" players anymore. its a national stage. the best talent tends to be wiling to travel to go to the "best" schools.

Look at FC Stars MV ..was committed relatively local PSU and decided to ditch that for USC relatively late. Good for her. Top players have options, even what appears to be very late to others

Comment

Everyones situation is unique. there is no typical path. Those typing here assuming that their situation is unique or noteworthy are mistaken. No idea what they hope to gain from it. without all the facts, its impossible to relate.

Things like "she had ACC interest" means what ? "Ivies reached out" hmmm..ok What is anyone supposed to do with that ?
          Based on what I read and I logged the atypical quote seems like more than just mild interest which is where we are currently in making decisions.

Why some on here seem to want to be dismissive about others experiences is mind boggling; unless they are trolls just stirring up trouble.

Bottom line from our prespective is that boston area/new england has very good options in education and in soccer.
          Thank you.

Comment

is it? i mean why would a top local player (If that good) not aim higher ? I dont think we have "local" players anymore. its a national stage. the best talent tends to be wiling to travel to go to the "best" schools.

Look at FC Stars MV ..was committed relatively local PSU and decided to ditch that for USC relatively late. Good for her. Top players have options, even what appears to be very late to others
            Your correct but I'm assuming the player wants to stay "close" to home and allow family to attend many of the games.

Comment

Based on what I read and I logged the atypical quote seems like more than just mild interest which is where we are currently in making decisions.

Why some on here seem to want to be dismissive about others experiences is mind boggling; unless they are trolls just stirring up trouble.

Bottom line from our prespective is that boston area/new england has very good options in education and in soccer.
              Thank you.
              dismissive? no. Im very happy that you are getting what you want, just not sure its relevant to others unless accompanied by full disclosure

Comment

dismissive? no. Im very happy that you are getting what you want, just not sure its relevant to others unless accompanied by full disclosure
                Gottcha. Txs. I don't see any full disclosures on here though. No one talks $$$ as far as what is fair, what they are receiving, and the like. It is all very confusing.

Comment

Gottcha. Txs. I don't see any full disclosures on here though. No one talks $$$ as far as what is fair, what they are receiving, and the like. It is all very confusing.
                  Hence the limited value. 5k to some is material, not others. etc etc

Comment

Hence the limited value. 5k to some is material, not others. etc etc
                    Agreed. That is why i'm saying all of it has limited value but it's helpful. btw - did you disclose?

Comment

I would like to comment, please and thank you. Now, when you select a school it has both the appeal of the program and the academics and maybe close to home. These are the primary factors outside of money. Each of the eagles has considered this in their decision. It should come as no surprise to all that they are inspired by the beautiful campus at Chestnut Hill or the constructive teachings of the faculty coupled with the excellent coaching they are receiving as part of the educational process.
                      The amusing thing about what goes on in threads like this one is most give very little actual information about what a real honest to goodness scholarship athlete actually considers when they are going through the process. Most here are just guessing and posturing about what they would have done so they can further whatever silly agenda they are playing out and it is pretty clear they have no clue what is actually involved in the decision nor what the actual ramifications are if you get it wrong. If you do it correctly the recruiting process is like fitting together a puzzle. Things some pass off so simplistically like "interest" are actually very complex issues. There are many more pieces than some here like to project. For example, there's just a huge difference between some random coach reaching out to a kid and the courting dance that coaches do with a kid that they are truly interested in. The reality is most kids only dance beyond the initial intro and weeding out phases with 1-2 (maybe 3 if the kid is widely seen as a talent) coaches during their entire process. That selling job that those 1-3 coaches do is what constitutes actual interest. THAT's when you know that they actually want your kid, when they start pressing and selling. Another thing people never seem to grasp here is how much personalities matter in all of this. I don't care if it is Stanford or Harvard, no kid (unless they are some nut's kid who thinks none of that matters) is going to pick a school unless they get a warm fuzzy feeling from the coaching staff and the team. Then once you get by all of that then you need to start picking apart the supposed opportunity. Meaning what are the chances the kid is going to get out on the field to contribute. This one is hugely variable but suffice to say there is a huge difference between being recruited for a position stacked with all conference upper classmen and one hit hard by graduation. A lot of times the money levels that out but not always. Lastly there are tons of little things that few here seem to think matter (like distances to training facilities, the food situation, quality of medical treatment etc) but actually can make or break a kid's spirit. Only ignorant parents don't think enough to put themselves in their kid's shoes and think through what their actual lifestyle would be like while they are selling their souls to some college soccer coach.

Comment

The amusing thing about what goes on in threads like this one is most give very little actual information about what a real honest to goodness scholarship athlete actually considers when they are going through the process. Most here are just guessing and posturing about what they would have done so they can further whatever silly agenda they are playing out and it is pretty clear they have no clue what is actually involved in the decision nor what the actual ramifications are if you get it wrong. If you do it correctly the recruiting process is like fitting together a puzzle. Things some pass off so simplistically like "interest" are actually very complex issues. There are many more pieces than some here like to project. For example, there's just a huge difference between some random coach reaching out to a kid and the courting dance that coaches do with a kid that they are truly interested in. The reality is most kids only dance beyond the initial intro and weeding out phases with 1-2 (maybe 3 if the kid is widely seen as a talent) coaches during their entire process. That selling job that those 1-3 coaches do is what constitutes actual interest. THAT's when you know that they actually want your kid, when they start pressing and selling. Another thing people never seem to grasp here is how much personalities matter in all of this. I don't care if it is Stanford or Harvard, no kid (unless they are some nut's kid who thinks none of that matters) is going to pick a school unless they get a warm fuzzy feeling from the coaching staff and the team. Then once you get by all of that then you need to start picking apart the supposed opportunity. Meaning what are the chances the kid is going to get out on the field to contribute. This one is hugely variable but suffice to say there is a huge difference between being recruited for a position stacked with all conference upper classmen and one hit hard by graduation. A lot of times the money levels that out but not always. Lastly there are tons of little things that few here seem to think matter (like distances to training facilities, the food situation, quality of medical treatment etc) but actually can make or break a kid's spirit. Only ignorant parents don't think enough to put themselves in their kid's shoes and think through what their actual lifestyle would be like while they are selling their souls to some college soccer coach.
                        Correct. which is why i question the value of what most write here. without the entire picture its pretty useless. Your comments are very accurate and look how long you post is !! To do it real justice is multiple pages.

Comment

Correct. which is why i question the value of what most write here. without the entire picture its pretty useless. Your comments are very accurate and look how long you post is !! To do it real justice is multiple pages.
                          Agreed. Although I think 3 is pretty light with very talented players. Probably 5-10 serious suitors.

Comment

Agreed. Although I think 3 is pretty light with very talented players. Probably 5-10 serious suitors.
                            I wrote the post. I've had tow kids go through the process. One a low level D1 talent the other a top level D1 talent. I can say that if you are seriously engaging with more than 3 coaches you are jerking most of them off and doing so to puff up your ego rather than get a deal done for your kid. Thing you probably don't realize is just how much a tit for tat sort of thing the process is and that coaches are neither dumb nor blind to what parents like you do. If you are not showing them that you are serious they won't be serious. That's not real interest on either side.

Comment

I wrote the post. I've had tow kids go through the process. One a low level D1 talent the other a top level D1 talent. I can say that if you are seriously engaging with more than 3 coaches you are jerking most of them off and doing so to puff up your ego rather than get a deal done for your kid. Thing you probably don't realize is just how much a tit for tat sort of thing the process is and that coaches are neither dumb nor blind to what parents like you do. If you are not showing them that you are serious they won't be serious. That's not real interest on either side.
                              While I appreciate your experience, I can only speak on behalf of my kid a top level D1. And, she had more than 5 very serious. None of it was jerking the other around. Each school/program offered different experiences. Ego was not in the mix at all. Neither she nor I didn't let on to others about her interest. Some was even outside of her club since she would attend various invitational training events attended by high level coaches.
                              Coaches would show up at club trainings too.

Sometimes the coach/the program /league were great, but the school didn't meet her needs as far as what she wanted to study. She would explore other programs within the schools.

She took her time. Most coaches understood this and preferred this so they didn't have someone who regretted their decision and wanted to decommit and/or transfer immediately.

We always let the other coaches know who was in the mix. Full disclosure.

Comment

Happy 2018 season!

Here's my very pre-season New England Girl's soccer ranking
                                BC should once again be the #1 Women's team in New England this year.
                                Chill out if your insulted, it's early, lots of opportunity

2018 Women's Rankings - 8/6/2018

1) Boston College - Lots of depth, questionable coaching, and tough conference but still the class of the region
                                2) Harvard - Should be improved with a highly regarded recruiting class
                                3) Boston University - Who's gonna score? team has taken a step back from previous years but still a solid squad, what's with the 30 person roster?
                                4) Uconn - New coaching, long way to go to regain past glory, needs some better recruiting to compete nationally
                                5) Northeastern - Big losses to graduation so new additions need to step up
                                6) Yale - Top scorers back
                                7) Providence - Needs to start season better than last year...
                                8) Brown - Seems to be heading in the positive direction, big move up possible
                                9) Maine - Interesting roster with lots of foreign players...who knows
                                10) New Hampshire - Always a contender in conference

Other New England D1 teams to watch

Bryant
                                URI
                                UMass Amherst
                                UMass Lowell
                                Quinnipiac
                                Fairfield
                                Central CT
                                Hartford
                                Dartmouth
                                Holy Cross
                                Vermont
                                Sorry for the late release, as opening weekend is upon us.

Here's my latest New England Girl's soccer ranking with a few notes.
                                Good luck to everyone rooting for the area teams and try to be civil.

This is strickly one person's opinion and debate is welcome!

2018 Women's Rankings - 8/17/2018

1) Boston College - vs Quinnipiac on Fri 8/17 at 7pm
                                2) Harvard - at California Fri 8/24 5:30pm, at San Francisco Sun 8/26 3:30pm
                                3) Boston University - lost to Michigan 3-1, at Michigan St on Sun 8/19 1pm
                                4) Uconn - at Northeastern Fri 8/17 at 6pm, vs Syracuse Mon 8/20 6pm
                                5) Northeastern - vs Uconn Fri 8/17 at 6pm, vs Boston College Sunday 8/19 1pm
                                6) Yale - at Howard Fri 8/24 7pm, at Georgetown 8/26 1pm
                                7) Providence - beat Holy Cross 2-0, vs Fairleigh Dickinson Sun 8/29 1pm
                                8) Brown - at Pepperdine Fri 8/24 6pm, at UC Santa Barbara Sun 8/26 4pm
                                9) New Hampshire - beat URI 4-3, vs Holy Cross Sun 8/29 2pm
                                10) UMass Amherst - beat Maine 2-0, vs Central CT Sun 8/19 6pm

Other New England D1 teams to watch

Maine - lost UMass 2-0, vs Marist Fri 8/24 4:30pm
                                Bryant - vs Quinnipiac Mon 8/20 4pm
                                URI - lost to NH 4-3, at Bryant Thu 8/23 4pm
                                UMass Lowell at Loyola Chicago 8/17 7pm, at Depaul Sun 8/19 12pm
                                Quinnipiac at Boston College Fri 8/17 7pm, at Bryant Mon 8/20 4pm
                                Fairfield beat LIU Brooklyn, at Hofstra Sun 8/19 1pm
                                Central CT vs UMass Fri 8/19 6pm
                                Hartford beat Delaware St. 7-0, at Siena Mon 8/20 3pm
                                Dartmouth vs Quinnipiac Fri 8/24 5pm, vs URI Sun 8/26 1pm
                                Holy Cross lost to Providence 2-0
                                Vermon vs American Sun 8/19 12pm

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X