Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hope they enjoyed that 3 second break, because they are coming back again and you still don't have the ball. And, now you are stretched out and have gaps all over.

I'd prefer we dribble & pass out of pressure at the 18 in a cohesive unit and make them chase for a while.

You rest when you have the ball, and you chase while you are defending.

Basic athletics.
    You must coach one of those u8 super teams

Comment

Yeah, the punts are getting cheered for long after the ball has already been turned over and is making its way towards the net of the goalie who just booted it.
      Our GK. All. The. Time.

Comment

Yeah, the punts are getting cheered for long after the ball has already been turned over and is making its way towards the net of the goalie who just booted it.
        Agreed. That is why most keepers are taught to not punt it away anymore.

Comment

Agreed. That is why most keepers are taught to not punt it away anymore.
          If they're well coached.

Comment

Premier U9 teams at quality organizations are taught to play out of the back and are doing so by the time spring rolls around regardless of whether you have witnessed it or not. Why would keep them from being able to? Ball controls skills are something they will be taught for many years to come but once they get down the basics of receiving and are taught about open space and looking up and passing to the open foot, bringing it out of the back is the next natural progression. You're watching a lot lower level of soccer than I do if you think its impossible. My own kid is not top tier so it took his team until spring of U10 to get the knack of doing it but its not as remarkable as you make it out to be.
            Brought to you by GPS...

Comment

And every college in the country...irony is that we are discussing a style of play they will never use while playing at the highlight of their soccer career...unless they are one of the old men who knows how to play according to earlier poster.
              So that makes all arguments moot. If you’re college bound

Comment

I still fail to see the harm in wanting to play with, vs chasing after, the ball.

Comment

I still fail to see the harm in wanting to play with, vs chasing after, the ball.
                  Especially at younger ages, what better way to build skill, decision-making, and teamwork than to emphasize possession. Even if it costs the team a goal or two when mistakes are made. The only thing that they learn from playing kickball is who can kick the farthest and which forwards can run the fastest.

I do recall seeing the keepers at NT camps always focusing on ball distribution as opposed to bombing the ball to the other end. I once asked my D which of the keepers at camp had the biggest leg and she said she couldn't really tell; they never punted the ball, and their goal kicks were taken for accuracy vs. pure distance. That was a good sign, in my mind.

The question is whether those keepers and the defenders in front of them played with that style when they returned to their respective club teams, or did they resort to long balls to open space.

Comment

Especially at younger ages, what better way to build skill, decision-making, and teamwork than to emphasize possession. Even if it costs the team a goal or two when mistakes are made. The only thing that they learn from playing kickball is who can kick the farthest and which forwards can run the fastest.

I do recall seeing the keepers at NT camps always focusing on ball distribution as opposed to bombing the ball to the other end. I once asked my D which of the keepers at camp had the biggest leg and she said she couldn't really tell; they never punted the ball, and their goal kicks were taken for accuracy vs. pure distance. That was a good sign, in my mind.

The question is whether those keepers and the defenders in front of them played with that style when they returned to their respective club teams, or did they resort to long balls to open space.
                    All depends on who their coaches are. Good ones know the GK are doing it properly; bad ones do not. At their level they most likely are with club coaches that know what they're doing. HS games are a different story. Not many teams are lucky enough to have a well trained GK who knows what they're doing. Parents who don't understand the game go mental when the ball is played back. BOOT IT! CLEAR IT! lmao...

Comment

All depends on who their coaches are. Good ones know the GK are doing it properly; bad ones do not. At their level they most likely are with club coaches that know what they're doing. HS games are a different story. Not many teams are lucky enough to have a well trained GK who knows what they're doing. Parents who don't understand the game go mental when the ball is played back. BOOT IT! CLEAR IT! lmao...
                      There are maybe 3 keepers in the world who are comfortable enough with a ball at their feet to play for City. Now you’re expecting h/s kids who might be ok to distribute to players without a clue. They are keepers because their foot skills suffer, even the best in this country...Howard was miserable with a ball as is Guzan.
                      I’m pressing your keeper and defenders every chance I get and they will make mistakes, giving my forwards the ball in your third.
                      Thank you very much...

Thank you all for a sometimes lively discussion. Other than a few stupid barbs, it has been a good look at philosphy. I still think you’re all dreaming

Comment

I agree with your defeatist attitude. Things are hard, and it doesn't matter if results are rewarding. So, if just abandon it.

I don't get Algebra, so I'm just not going to do it anymore.

Comment

There are maybe 3 keepers in the world who are comfortable enough with a ball at their feet to play for City. Now you’re expecting h/s kids who might be ok to distribute to players without a clue. They are keepers because their foot skills suffer, even the best in this country...Howard was miserable with a ball as is Guzan.
                          I’m pressing your keeper and defenders every chance I get and they will make mistakes, giving my forwards the ball in your third.
                          Thank you very much...

Thank you all for a sometimes lively discussion. Other than a few stupid barbs, it has been a good look at philosphy. I still think you’re all dreaming
                          I agree. We should always use aging goalies who were never known for their footskills in our discussions to prove our point. It's most effective that way.

Off the top of my head:
                          Barthez
                          Casillas
                          Alisson
                          Ederson
                          Neuer
                          Navas
                          DeGea
                          Lloris
                          ter Stergen

Champions League, Euro, World Cup, La Liga, EPL, Bundesliga winners.

But, you know, Guzman...

Comment

Thank you very much...

Better GK are often ones that played field all along, or at least until U14. They work at their foot skills, even if it's just pickup games. Of course they won't be as skilled as full time field players, but it is a skill that cannot be ignored. Same with distribution. You won't see GKs practicing punts very often. They're working on everything else.

Comment

Anybody watching Arsenal putting themselves under tremendous pressure by constantly trying to have keeper and defenders play out of the back? Even the Arsenal supporters cheered a proper clearance.
                              This tactic is a flash in the pan by Guardiola attempting to make a name for himself as he has the best players to do it
                              And now we have all the u10s lining up like a German wolfpack at mid field to steal any wayward pass they can.
                              Give me 3 hard working forwards and 1 mid and I’ll never let you get the ball out of the back.
                              What a stupid tactic...especially for American soccer
                              While more nervy moments (Cech cannot succeed in this role, sad to say), the strung together 19 passes for a very nice goal that started with passing out of the back against Chelski.

Comment

Having your balls played with from the back? Yes I like very much.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X