Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GDA Coaching Assignments - Was This Thought Out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GDA Coaching Assignments - Was This Thought Out?

Building off of some of the other threads to ask a basic question: have these girl DA coaching assignments been thought through?

First they try to poach THUSC DOC - get what they were trying to do, didn't work, but hey worth a shot.

Then they add 2 HS coaches. Putting aside the conflicts issues for a second, mechanically how does this work - girls DA is supposed to train 3 to 4x per week; 1-2 games per weekend. How can a HS coach possibly do that during HS season? Thorns have no Portland opponents - 50% of their league games are out-of-town and more than 50% of their games should be (assuming 1-2 showcases).

Gaff is also DOC at Eastside. How can he serve as DOC of a major club, coach HS, coach girls DA all at the same time?

Asking these questions from an ECNL club, so assume biased. Just watching how hard Thorns are trying to recruit, how much badmouthing we've lived through over the last couple of years from SOME alliance coaches (others continue to send their players to ECNL), and wondering how exactly is this suppose to work.

My assumption is that the same very busy staff were given the job of slapping this together on top of their regular load of work on short notice. Seems like they haven't really thought a lot of this through.

US Soccer says try out fees prohibited. Thorns are charging a very large fee.

US Soccer says minimum required 4 trainings per week. Thorns say only 3.

US Soccer says no high school activities. Thorns say maybe.

Assumuption is that they might rally once they get a chance to review the rules and have some time.

Comment

Does anyone know where I can apply? I have been to at least a hundred youth games and practices over the years and know I can do a good job. Also I am a hard worker.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Building off of some of the other threads to ask a basic question: have these girl DA coaching assignments been thought through?

First they try to poach THUSC DOC - get what they were trying to do, didn't work, but hey worth a shot.

Then they add 2 HS coaches. Putting aside the conflicts issues for a second, mechanically how does this work - girls DA is supposed to train 3 to 4x per week; 1-2 games per weekend. How can a HS coach possibly do that during HS season? Thorns have no Portland opponents - 50% of their league games are out-of-town and more than 50% of their games should be (assuming 1-2 showcases).

Gaff is also DOC at Eastside. How can he serve as DOC of a major club, coach HS, coach girls DA all at the same time?

Asking these questions from an ECNL club, so assume biased. Just watching how hard Thorns are trying to recruit, how much badmouthing we've lived through over the last couple of years from SOME alliance coaches (others continue to send their players to ECNL), and wondering how exactly is this suppose to work.
        I'm a TA parent and I have the same questions.

Comment

I'm a TA parent and I have the same questions.
          Instead of asking this question on an anonymous board, why don't you contact the Thorns Academy staff directly and ask them?

Comment

My assumption is that the same very busy staff were given the job of slapping this together on top of their regular load of work on short notice. Seems like they haven't really thought a lot of this through.

Assumuption is that they might rally once they get a chance to review the rules and have some time.
            There won't be time for HS activities. Thorns is saying "maybe" and 3x/wk (for now) so they can con the current Thorns Academy starters that do multiple sports. My guess is the GDA starting 11 will be basically the same as this year's starters in the Academy. Thorns can go against all GDA rules for now but they can change at anytime and blame it on US Soccer. The GDA program was thought out, clearly spelled out & US Soccer wants it implemented. I say do it right for a better chance of success. At the subsidized price, GDA will still get enough good players apply.

Comment

If they want kids to join the four minimum practices a week and banned from high school sports don't really work. Who know if they will change once they have them in.

Did thorns get ANY kids in college this year?

Comment

If they want kids to join the four minimum practices a week and banned from high school sports don't really work. Who know if they will change once they have them in.

Who cares. Current Thorns are not in the US Soccer GDA program.

Comment

Instead of asking this question on an anonymous board, why don't you contact the Thorns Academy staff directly and ask them?
                  After witnessing the lies told in the last year by current academy staff, I wouldn't expect any honest information from them. To recap:

ODP will have teams for every age group (week before tryouts when most kids had signed up and paid, announced 00/01 pool would be combined).

2016-17 academy teams will do a summer college showcase tournament (turned out to be in Beaverton).

Academy will require practice 4x's/week (recently changed to 3).

Thorns website stated for over a year that TA clubs unanimously supported sending players to academy (TA clubs howled until thorns took this down - because it wasn't true).

I could go on and on. But the point is I wouldn't waste me time asking the lying liars of thorns academy for information so they could lie a few more lies at me.

Comment

Don't think they did but they did try.

Comment

After witnessing the lies told in the last year by current academy staff, I wouldn't expect any honest information from them. To recap:

ODP will have teams for every age group (week before tryouts when most kids had signed up and paid, announced 00/01 pool would be combined).

2016-17 academy teams will do a summer college showcase tournament (turned out to be in Beaverton).

Academy will require practice 4x's/week (recently changed to 3).

Thorns website stated for over a year that TA clubs unanimously supported sending players to academy (TA clubs howled until thorns took this down - because it wasn't true).

I could go on and on. But the point is I wouldn't waste me time asking the lying liars of thorns academy for information so they could lie a few more lies at me.
                      So, instead you are just the toxic person who can't move on with your life? If you really feel this way then turn the page. Otherwise, it is you who have the problem.

Comment

Who cares. Current Thorns are not in the US Soccer GDA program.
                        They soon will be. Word is top 14 are already penned onto Gda roster and will be the ones getting all the playing time next year.

Comment

get it through your thick skull and quit bringing this up. thorns is a pro path for kids that want to go pro. college is not the end goal.

Comment

Don't think they did but they did try.
                            The 2 Seniors on their roster this year are both playing in college next year. The rest of the juniors and sophomores will have to wait. At least 2 players from the current oldest team are committed to D1 schools.

Comment

ECNL teams in Oregon got 40 girls into college.

Timbers Alliance and other got 40+ girls into college.

Thorns have gotten a few over the years but night to write home about.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X