Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    All I hear is how ECNL clubs are dripping with commits and the best players and yadda yadda....how much more could I honestly expect? I mean, it's already the tippity-top and every great player is there...right?

This is about ca$h grab. Don't think we are naive to think otherwise and don't try to position it that way either.
    Last time I checked, GDA, NPL, NEP were all pay to play....

ALL of those clubs are making money. GPS charges more for NEP teams than my kid's ECNL team costs....

Comment

Last time I checked, GDA, NPL, NEP were all pay to play....

ALL of those clubs are making money. GPS charges more for NEP teams than my kid's ECNL team costs....
      Right. Except, those leagues aren't run by the clubs themselves. That's the difference.

Just be up front about it and it's all good.

Comment

Nobody went running to any ECNL regional team because of this new patch. Kids were just shifted around. So many insecure parents. Stop paying the fees if the system bugs you so much.
        "Nobody"? That's blatantly false. I absolutely know of families who went into this specifically for those 4 letters.

Comment

I heard it to (I started this thread) and the way it was positioned, it was more of an ECNL-"Lite". I also thought they were going to showcases and such which is where my question came from. Maybe they were wrong, maybe I heard it wrong, maybe they lied. I know people who had had other opportunities with other clubs who declined to do this, and I guess I'm questioning why. But, everyone does what's best for them so carry on.
          They are going to showcases, they jsut aren't going to the same showcases. My daughter played NPL in 7th grade and they went to "showcases." Quotes only because 7th grade is absurd to really be doing showcases.

Anyway, she's ECNL now and the ECRL teams in her club just go to different events.

Comment

All I hear is how ECNL clubs are dripping with commits and the best players and yadda yadda....how much more could I honestly expect? I mean, it's already the tippity-top and every great player is there...right?

This is about ca$h grab. Don't think we are naive to think otherwise and don't try to position it that way either.
            What's a cash grab? There are kids who are good soccer players, but aren't player #1-18 in that age group at the club. For ECNL clubs, that means either playing ECRL (formerly NPL) or playing for regional NEP teams. No money grab, just clubs trying to meet the needs of their customers. No one is forcing player #19-36 to play ECRL/NPL or NEP or anything else. Parents willingly sign up and pay for it.

If you look at college commits, ECRL/NPL teams have commits, they just generally aren't D1. There are 440 D3 schools. Soccer players have to come from some where. Some families didn't want the ECNL travel expenses. Some families hoped they would develop into ECNL players and move up. Some just enjoy competitive soccer. Would you tell families of NEFC NPL, Seacoast NPL, etc that their teams were just money grabs? They are good teams with good players, just not the top level.

Comment

Right. Except, those leagues aren't run by the clubs themselves. That's the difference.

Just be up front about it and it's all good.
              Doesn't NEP have a board that includes SOME of the clubs and they make all of the decisions? How many small, independent clubs get in to NEP without becoming "GPS-(insert old club name here)?

NEP NPL gives automatic placement in NPL A to the teams that pay for and own licenses.

USSF pushes clubs to join GDA by threatening clubs that they will not look at players for YNT call-ups if they are not in GDA...

It's all shades of the same thing. Blame US Soccer for ignoring the girls' side of youth soccer 12+ years ago when they created BDA--that's what let to the "ECNL mafia".

Comment

Doesn't NEP have a board that includes SOME of the clubs and they make all of the decisions? How many small, independent clubs get in to NEP without becoming "GPS-(insert old club name here)?

NEP NPL gives automatic placement in NPL A to the teams that pay for and own licenses.

USSF pushes clubs to join GDA by threatening clubs that they will not look at players for YNT call-ups if they are not in GDA...

It's all shades of the same thing. Blame US Soccer for ignoring the girls' side of youth soccer 12+ years ago when they created BDA--that's what let to the "ECNL mafia".
                ECNL met a need in the market and was wildly successful at it. US Soccer didn't care about girls/women's soccer for quite some time. Only now with the failures of the USMNT to qualify for the Olympics and World Cup and continued poor performance in CONCACAF while the USWNT continues to win World Cups does US Soccer come in and fragment the landscape, trying to take over the highest level of girls soccer.

US Soccer can go pound turf. Not saying there is anyone innocent in this, but I don't blame the ECNL clubs/board for anything.

Comment

I believe it. College coaches get too many emails from prospects to have to deal with "misinformation", whether it was on purpose or just poor wording based on the confused marketing of the ECRL. It's like misrepresenting GPA or SAT or any other qualifier. I'm sure parents embellish on those emails or push their kids to do so assuming they may get a chance to be seen.

Talking to a friend recently and her D plays for a lower level club (not in ECNL/DA/NPL). She said her D was kind of embarrassed to tell college coaches who she played for. Very good soccer player, but family made some mistakes in terms of choosing clubs/teams the last few years and it hasn't worked out the way they had hoped. She is a good student and has no pressure to play soccer in college and has a good head on her shoulders. The point being, kids and parents are keenly aware of who they play for, what level they play at, and what that means in terms of playing in college. They may not know the whole landscape, but they understand the order of things and I'm sure some of the less scrupulous will attempt to gain an advantage. Heck, look at the Varsity Blues college admission scandel.
                  Are you really comparing the rebranding of NPL to the Varsity Blues college admission scandal? Any advantage gained by throwing alphabet soup around will quickly be thwarted if the kid can't play. There is a fine line between the bottom on the "A" team and the top of the "B" team when it comes down to individual players and positions. Give college coaches at least a little credit to be able to make their own decisions.

Comment

so you are equating yourselves with NEP?

Sheeeeeeeessshhhhh

Comment

They are going to showcases, they jsut aren't going to the same showcases. My daughter played NPL in 7th grade and they went to "showcases." Quotes only because 7th grade is absurd to really be doing showcases.

Anyway, she's ECNL now and the ECRL teams in her club just go to different events.
                      Thank you for your reply. Which events/showcases are those?

Comment

What's a cash grab? There are kids who are good soccer players, but aren't player #1-18 in that age group at the club. For ECNL clubs, that means either playing ECRL (formerly NPL) or playing for regional NEP teams. No money grab, just clubs trying to meet the needs of their customers. No one is forcing player #19-36 to play ECRL/NPL or NEP or anything else. Parents willingly sign up and pay for it.

If you look at college commits, ECRL/NPL teams have commits, they just generally aren't D1. There are 440 D3 schools. Soccer players have to come from some where. Some families didn't want the ECNL travel expenses. Some families hoped they would develop into ECNL players and move up. Some just enjoy competitive soccer. Would you tell families of NEFC NPL, Seacoast NPL, etc that their teams were just money grabs? They are good teams with good players, just not the top level.
                        Not sure you get the point....

Comment

so you are equating yourselves with NEP?

Sheeeeeeeessshhhhh
                          Since you seem a bit slow on the uptake...

The point is that the "clubs don't run the other leagues" argument is weak. Try to keep up.

And where does your kid play that you are so concerned with all things ECNL?

Comment

Not sure you get the point....
                            I'm not sure you've made a coherent point..... perhaps you could clarify.

Comment

Since you seem a bit slow on the uptake...

The point is that the "clubs don't run the other leagues" argument is weak. Try to keep up.

And where does your kid play that you are so concerned with all things ECNL?
                              Not this again.

Comment

I'm not sure you've made a coherent point..... perhaps you could clarify.
                                Sure, I'll slow it down for you:

There is a financial interest for Stars' leadership to get every player as possible into the ECNL umbrella, as it lines their own pockets in the process. No other club in the region is as tightly vested financially into the league as they are with ECNL. So, it makes no sense for the club, financially, to have team(s) in Northeast NPL (or GDA, or any other league) when they can just pull them into their own brand.

That better?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X