Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECNL National Showcases for U18/19

My daughter is an 03/2022 player on an ECNL team. Next year she'll play on the U18/19 team and be a trapped junior. Looking at the upcoming ECNL events, I only see them listing competitive play for up to U17. Which events do the U18/19 players attend? I asked our team manager and she said she didn't know - her daughter graduates next year so I don't think she cares. Anyone know?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My daughter is an 03/2022 player on an ECNL team. Next year she'll play on the U18/19 team and be a trapped junior. Looking at the upcoming ECNL events, I only see them listing competitive play for up to U17. Which events do the U18/19 players attend? I asked our team manager and she said she didn't know - her daughter graduates next year so I don't think she cares. Anyone know?
    Yeah, your coach knows. Ask him

Comment

This is where you hope for a return to grad year teams.

Comment

Or you play gda that has u18/u19 teams.

Comment

ECNL switces to grad year and instantly increase market share

If ecnl switches to grad year, they would seriously and instantly gain a whole heck of a lot of players - about 1/3 exactly!

Comment

The national events are listed on the ECNL website. Under the current system, the trapped players are particularly screwed after U17 (their sophomore year) in the Northeast because they have fall high school season and there are no showcase events after January. Very sad!

Comment

I have an 02/2021 (hs jr) so we are living your next year now.
              Her team is playing ECNL FL in Jan, PDA in May, and Playoffs in June.
              The only change from last year is no Phx in April.

Next year will essentially be same since the Composite teams accommodate for trapped seniors

Comment

Make the most of her showcasing opportunities NOW while she has them. As a sophomore she needs to get on coaches' watch lists. In June, when coaches are allowed to talk to her, she'd then get invited to various ID events if they are interested. Coaches know the system is messed up because of the calendar year move and they generally shop by grade anyway. This is the time most will be looking at her grad year. Make sure she makes it clear in her correspondence what her graduation year is. If all goes well she will already wrapped up by this time next year, or at least far along in the process so the showcasing will become less important.

Comment

I have an 02/2021 (hs jr) so we are living your next year now.
                  Her team is playing ECNL FL in Jan, PDA in May, and Playoffs in June.
                  The only change from last year is no Phx in April.

Next year will essentially be same since the Composite teams accommodate for trapped seniors
                  When my kid played ECNL, the Composite teams were an NPL equivalent which got little to no love.

Comment

When my kid played ECNL, the Composite teams were an NPL equivalent which got little to no love.
                    Likely because it’s blending all the players. But this year, her Junior year, seems fine. A) whole team is committed b) only skipping one showcase (phx). Fine with me

Comment

Likely because it’s blending all the players. But this year, her Junior year, seems fine. A) whole team is committed b) only skipping one showcase (phx). Fine with me
                      And weirdly, some kids stop playing at the older ages, too.

Comment

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lq92aegr8z...-2020.pdf?dl=0

Check out section 2.9. Your daughter is eligible to be listed as a "Trapped U18-19 Player" and can play 'down' with U17s in two national events (showcases), but is not eligible to play down in post season events.

It is a pretty sweet carve out to help girls in this particular situation who are still looking for college opportunities and by no fault of their own can't access showcases with the team they are rostered on.

While it is a very intentional rule, and one that does a great job in differentiating ECNL from GDA, it is not widely publicized or used.

By the time you get to the U18/19 level many girls are committed, and families are just not up for travelling to yet another showcase, so there are definitely fewer options for those still uncommitted kids. But those same clubs are sending their U17s. This rule allows your U18 to tag along.

Point your coach to the rule book and get your U18 into the showcase!

Comment

If you are worried about following the link above, here is the 'link to the link'.

https://www.eliteclubsnationalleague...source-center/

Comment

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lq92aegr8z...-2020.pdf?dl=0

Check out section 2.9. Your daughter is eligible to be listed as a "Trapped U18-19 Player" and can play 'down' with U17s in two national events (showcases), but is not eligible to play down in post season events.

It is a pretty sweet carve out to help girls in this particular situation who are still looking for college opportunities and by no fault of their own can't access showcases with the team they are rostered on.

While it is a very intentional rule, and one that does a great job in differentiating ECNL from GDA, it is not widely publicized or used.

By the time you get to the U18/19 level many girls are committed, and families are just not up for travelling to yet another showcase, so there are definitely fewer options for those still uncommitted kids. But those same clubs are sending their U17s. This rule allows your U18 to tag along.

Point your coach to the rule book and get your U18 into the showcase!
                            This is where some of the DOC's suck. All of this should be pointed out to these teams in the beginning of the season.

Comment

Just curious, do ECNL seniors attend showcases their senior year? Seems like most girls would be recruited by then and would be a serious waste of money. We are knew to all this. My daughter just started ECNL, only in 8th grade.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X