Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New England and National D1 Womens Soccer (only please)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must have been watching Penn State 2011 re-runs. That was an ugly, direct, disorganized side.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Must have been watching Penn State 2011 re-runs. That was an ugly, direct, disorganized side.
      Penn State is just not that good. Some great individual players, but as a team, not that impressive. Here's another instance of rankings hiding the real story. Good luck to BC!

Comment

Penn State is just not that good. Some great individual players, but as a team, not that impressive. Here's another instance of rankings hiding the real story. Good luck to BC!
        One must look at the trends and the league - Most will acknowledge that Big Ten is not ACC or Pac 12 women's soccer - and Penn State lost in the Big 10 tournament semis, right? BC has an opening here - and the Penn State keeper has had some very weird games (I actually wondered at one point if she may have had an undiagnosed concussion).

Comment

Penn State direct? Troubles on defense? Are you sure you watched the right team?
          I'm not a big fan of BC, but in PSU, they have the best possible chance to slip into the final 8. I think the game is a toss up. What won't be a toss up is if they manage to meet up with UVA again in the final 8. But that's along way off.

Comment

One of PSUs major strengths - their CM - can also be one of their major weaknesses. If she gets it into her head that it's all about her and takes millions of shots rather than setting up other players (and it HAS happened) - or if she gets into an arguing match with the refs (that too has happened) then the team can wither from bad leadership.

Comment

Sounds like BC.

Neither team is very good.

Comment

Sounds like BC.

Neither team is very good.
                lol. Some people on here have such impossibly high standards. I'm glad I don't live in your house.

Comment

Penn State has had their own problems with defense but their direct style should sufficiently batter BC's woobly defense to come out on top - especially in front of a home crowd which will be large given there is nothing to do in State College but watch sports (unlike BC students' visits to art museums and the opera). Penn State has some great athletes up front who can take advantage of opponent's mistakes and, as we've seen, BC is susceptible to those types of teams.

That said I've watched a couple of Penn State games and find their keeper has some extremely odd and large lapses of judgment. If she has a bad game and Mewis and her teammates have a good one, BC can pull this off.
                  Penn State fans are horrible. I hope the BC players have some thick skins and can tune it out!

Comment

If you look at the type of teams that BC has struggles with, they are teams that put lots of pressure on the defensive outside, and that is absolutley what Penn State will do. BC's tie with Stanford and win over FSU are clear indications that the Eagles can beat anybody - including the N Lions - but I don't get how the Eagles got what amounts to a #8 seed. UVA is #2 but get Rutgers in the 2d Round? And #3 Duke gets Miami of Ohio? It seems like the selection committee was more concerned about travel in Rd. 1 and avoiding intra-conference rematches in Rd. 2 than getting a balanced/competitive bracket - and that hurt the Eagles - who at a pre-selection RPI of 23, really deserved to get a #3 seed like Baylor or UCLA in the 2d Round. The good news for the Eagles is that if they can upset Penn State, they will likely have an easier time with the Michigan/ Portland winner!

Playing at Penn State has more downs than ups for the Eagles. They will probably bus in on Thursday. That is actually the worst scenerio of any of the East Coast or mid Atlantic sites, where it would be no more than 4 - 4.5 hours of total travel, as opposed to 7 hours to central PA. PSU is a tough venue, especially on a Football weekend, so BC could be staying a full 45 minutes to better than an hour off campus. And yes, there will be 2 - 3 thousand loud (and sometimes obnoxious) fans supporting the N Lions on Friday night. The Big 10 sports experience dwarfs what you see in the ACC - never mind on Chestnut Hill. So, the bottom line is that the Eagles have their hands full, and if they pull and upset, they will deserve it!!!

Comment

If you look at the type of teams that BC has struggles with, they are teams that put lots of pressure on the defensive outside, and that is absolutley what Penn State will do. BC's tie with Stanford and win over FSU are clear indications that the Eagles can beat anybody - including the N Lions - but I don't get how the Eagles got what amounts to a #8 seed. UVA is #2 but get Rutgers in the 2d Round? And #3 Duke gets Miami of Ohio? It seems like the selection committee was more concerned about travel in Rd. 1 and avoiding intra-conference rematches in Rd. 2 than getting a balanced/competitive bracket - and that hurt the Eagles - who at a pre-selection RPI of 23, really deserved to get a #3 seed like Baylor or UCLA in the 2d Round. The good news for the Eagles is that if they can upset Penn State, they will likely have an easier time with the Michigan/ Portland winner!

Playing at Penn State has more downs than ups for the Eagles. They will probably bus in on Thursday. That is actually the worst scenerio of any of the East Coast or mid Atlantic sites, where it would be no more than 4 - 4.5 hours of total travel, as opposed to 7 hours to central PA. PSU is a tough venue, especially on a Football weekend, so BC could be staying a full 45 minutes to better than an hour off campus. And yes, there will be 2 - 3 thousand loud (and sometimes obnoxious) fans supporting the N Lions on Friday night. The Big 10 sports experience dwarfs what you see in the ACC - never mind on Chestnut Hill. So, the bottom line is that the Eagles have their hands full, and if they pull and upset, they will deserve it!!!
                      Tough to get hotel rooms if it's a football weekend. I hope the athletic department reserved a block of rooms for the visiting teams but i bet they didn't.

Comment

Tough to get hotel rooms if it's a football weekend. I hope the athletic department reserved a block of rooms for the visiting teams but i bet they didn't.
                        You're kidding right.

Comment

You make some valid points.

However, to point to the Stanford tie which was played months ago as an indicator that the Eagles can play with anyone is absurd. Stanford is playing far better now than they were then, and the Eagles, truth be told, are playing worse.

BC received an 8th seed based on their entire body of work. They had mediocre results with a decent to semi-tough schedule. That said, complaining about what-might-have-beens, while amusing to the rest of us, has no bearing. If they're good enough to get wins on the road, including at State College, they will win the game against Penn State. If they're not good enough, they won't.

Buses, hotels, hostile fans, blah-blah-blah -- those are all excuses/distractions.

Comment

Our fine feathered friends make no excuses. They soar, hunt, target, dive, and kill prey with brutal efficiency. Remember, "Eagles inhabit the heavenly heights, they know neither limit nor bound.They're the guardian angels of darkness and light, they see all and hear every sound.My spirit will never be broken or caught for the soul is a free-flying thing.Like an eagle that needs neither comfort nor thought to rise up on glorious wings." PSU nifty Lions won't know what hit them.

Fly like an Eagle

Comment

However, to point to the Stanford tie which was played months ago as an indicator that the Eagles can play with anyone is absurd. Stanford is playing far better now than they were then, and the Eagles, truth be told, are playing worse.
                              I would point instead to the decisive late-season victory over #1 ranked FSU as an indicator that, with a healthy Mewis (and she wasn't 100% against Hofstra), BC can indeed beat anyone.

Comment

mens pairing

BC/NU, winner gets Uconn

Comment

Working...
                                X