Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D3 college rosters

Why are earth do coaches carry more than 20 players? Nichols has 27, Endicott has 35.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why are earth do coaches carry more than 20 players? Nichols has 27, Endicott has 35.
    Pretty much standard at all college levels.

From the players point of view - dispite all the harsh talk here, a lot of kids like being college athelete and like playing soccer, even if it means only getting into a handful of games per year.

From the coaches point of view - lots of injuries, a good amount of turnover, you want enough players to be able to run 11 v 11 in practice, that means at least 22 + injuries so 26 is a much safer number.

Comment

From the players point of view - dispite all the harsh talk here, a lot of kids like being college athelete and like playing soccer, even if it means only getting into a handful of games per year.

From the coaches point of view - lots of injuries, a good amount of turnover, you want enough players to be able to run 11 v 11 in practice, that means at least 22 + injuries so 26 is a much safer number.
      As a former college assistant coach, this has ALWAYS been the norm for the reasons above. Usually 65 - 70 % will be underclassman as well. You always want more than you think you need.

Comment

Absolutley the norm 25 to 26, thus a couple more is no big deal. Reasons stated above are absolutely correct--especially the injury factor (and especially the men's side). The college game is so physical and such a high contact/collision sport now that players drop left and right, thus a very deep bench is a key to having a successful season as many players will likely have to contribute in certain games. The need to have enough players so you can practice properly and scrimmage is also a must, thus large rosters (and hopefully deep rosters) are a must.

Comment

OP here; Understand the injury issue, etc.. so 24 with 3 GK wouldnt be enough?? You cant tell me that players listed #15-X on the depth chart are going to see any playing time. Seems to be the norm for D3, not all levels, or am I missing something?

Comment

OP here; Understand the injury issue, etc.. so 24 with 3 GK wouldnt be enough?? You cant tell me that players listed #15-X on the depth chart are going to see any playing time. Seems to be the norm for D3, not all levels, or am I missing something?
            It is true for most teams. UNH (D1) has 26. The harsh reality that is hard for parents to accept is that once the sweet-talk courting is done and your kid is on the field, the coach is looking to replace them with someone just a little bit better.

Making a college soccer team is not the bed of roses you think it is. I know several of the parents of UNH players and they have seen their roles diminish each year as new hotshot freshman catch the coaches eye. Now of course UNH soccer is an embarrassingly lousy program this year so the coach may not know what they are doing but that does not make it easy on the players or parents. In my view the pursuit of a roster spot in college is largely a waste of time unless you are one of the top 3 to 4 players from day one. Have your kid focus on their education and networking in preparation for making a living. Soccer does not always help them in that more important goal.

Sincerely,

The current parent of a former college player

Comment

Yer kid's gettin' splinters ay? Collij soccer ain't whut you thunk it wuz, huh?

Tellum to git an edge-yoo-kayshun.

Comment

I definately happens at all levels. Do they "need" player 26. Probably not, but so what? Obviously the players want to be there and the coaches have use for them. I'm not sure what the issue is.

Comment

It is true for most teams. UNH (D1) has 26. The harsh reality that is hard for parents to accept is that once the sweet-talk courting is done and your kid is on the field, the coach is looking to replace them with someone just a little bit better.

Making a college soccer team is not the bed of roses you think it is. I know several of the parents of UNH players and they have seen their roles diminish each year as new hotshot freshman catch the coaches eye. Now of course UNH soccer is an embarrassingly lousy program this year so the coach may not know what they are doing but that does not make it easy on the players or parents. In my view the pursuit of a roster spot in college is largely a waste of time unless you are one of the top 3 to 4 players from day one. Have your kid focus on their education and networking in preparation for making a living. Soccer does not always help them in that more important goal.

Sincerely,

The current parent of a former college player
                  I would expect the coach of an embarrassingly lousy team to be looking to replace their embarrassingly lousy players. Otherwise they will remain an embarrassingly lousy team.

Comment

I would expect the coach of an embarrassingly lousy team to be looking to replace their embarrassingly lousy players. Otherwise they will remain an embarrassingly lousy team.
                    More likely they will be an ex-D1 coach. Given that you pick your own players and have four years to develop a new crop your team should run in 4 year cycles.

Comment

More likely they will be an ex-D1 coach. Given that you pick your own players and have four years to develop a new crop your team should run in 4 year cycles.
                      That depends a lot on the school and their attitude towards women's soccer. A coach that isn't getting much support from the administration is probably not going to lose their job unless the shoot someone or they start making life difficult for the AD.

Expectations are very different at a school like UNH vs somewhere like BC.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X