Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Odds of Landing an Athletic Scholarship < odds being admitted to Harvard ??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Odds of Landing an Athletic Scholarship < odds being admitted to Harvard ??

Just 3.3 percent of high school seniors playing men's basketball will have roster positions on NCAA teams as freshmen—with or without scholarships, according to NCAA data. For women, the figure is 3.7 percent.The odds are almost as slim in men's soccer, football, and baseball. The chance of getting an athletic scholarship is even smaller, even for students whose parents can devote the hundreds of hours--and thousands of dollars--that high-level youth sports often require.

Put another way, the odds of landing a college scholarship in many major sports are lower than the chances of being admitted to Harvard, Yale, Princeton or Stanford.

Overall, colleges and universities awarded more than $3 billion in athletic scholarships in 2013, but very few of those were full rides. In most sports, coaches are allowed to divvy up scholarships. In 2013, the average amount of money awarded to NCAA Division 1 athletes was $13,821 for men and $14,660 for women. Other divisions offer less, and Division 3 schools offer no athletic scholarships at all.

"There's this great myth about how many scholarships there are out there," said Earhart.

There's also a lot of pressure on those who do get athletic scholarships. Long practice hours, diminished fan attendance, and life on a different schedule from most students can take their toll on young athletes—as can the physical intensity of the sport itself.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101980451

College athletes as a percentage of high school athletes:
    Men's soccer 9%
    Women's soccer 9.5%

Full rides are almost mythical

I don't know about athletic scholarships but I can tell you from experience that getting into Stanford, Harvard..the big academic schools is incredibly difficult.

4.4 GPA, perfect SATs, a history of volunteer work, impressive extracurricular activities and a letter of recommendation from a US Senator gets you a relatively small shot.

Knowing someone, being related to a graduate, being in affirmative action categories, making large contributions are things that could swing the odds.

Comment

NOONONONONONONO

This cant be true. I was told specifically by my ECNL coach and his parent minions that ECNL's 10k a year will for sure guarantee my kid a full ride at a D1 school or better. We have spent our kids college tuition on this idea!

Nevermind we are already losing to teams that local teams would beat and my kid doesn't travel sometimes. BUt because Socal Blues ECNL team has some college destined players on it, by damned because my kid has teh ECNL patch she is just as good!

Don't believe these facts! YOu need to listen to our FC coaches who know how to recruit with propaganda while letting mediocre college players coach the teams...

My kid is getting a top scholarship and we are going into debt to do it! If you don't do it, well that means you are just sheep or OYSA whatever.

If your kid just started playing soccer or has played you need to think about ECNL, we are taking anyone who cant pay and has "faith" that our coaches know what is best. Come and join us and don't deny the "facts" that your kid will do it only with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I don't know about athletic scholarships but I can tell you from experience that getting into Stanford, Harvard..the big academic schools is incredibly difficult.

4.4 GPA, perfect SATs, a history of volunteer work, impressive extracurricular activities and a letter of recommendation from a US Senator gets you a relatively small shot.

Knowing someone, being related to a graduate, being in affirmative action categories, making large contributions are things that could swing the odds.
        I don't disagree, but this is the way the article was written. Whether we agree 100% with their assumptions, it is interesting. This is the reason I put the ??? after the subject. Also, it may be that more people receive soccer scholarships than other sports.
        Even so, if you think of it in terms of how many high school athletes are playing their sport in college (soccer < 10%) it adds some perspective. The point is that scholarships are not what many believe. Getting an offer is difficult and of those who do receive them the offers are not as big as people might think.

Comment

I don't disagree, but this is the way the article was written. Whether we agree 100% with their assumptions, it is interesting. This is the reason I put the ??? after the subject. Also, it may be that more people receive soccer scholarships than other sports.
          Even so, if you think of it in terms of how many high school athletes are playing their sport in college (soccer < 10%) it adds some perspective. The point is that scholarships are not what many believe. Getting an offer is difficult and of those who do receive them the offers are not as big as people might think.
          That is why Oregon athletes go to Oregon colleges. It is easy to get an offer there.

Comment

That is why Oregon athletes go to Oregon colleges. It is easy to get an offer there.
            Oh brother. Really? You must be trying to get a rise.

Comment

Title 9 makes athletic scholarships a lot easier for girls.

The ECNL comment is just a desperate TA fool going on about the fallacy they made up. ECNL will give athletes more exposure. That's it. ECNL will also give competitors the opportunity to compete at a higher level.

This is a good article that puts athletic scholarships into perspective.

Comment

Title 9 makes athletic scholarships a lot easier for girls.
                In soccer. It would be very difficult for a girl to get a football scholarship which still makes up the bulk of all scholarships.

Comment

1 - UCLA
                  2 - Stanford
                  11 - Washington
                  16 - Washington State
                  19 - California

It would appear that there is serious competition in the PAC 12. While Oregon State is struggling to pull of a win in the PAC 12 they are not getting slaughtered. Oregon has had a little more success in terms of wins but again the scores are generally a 1 point spread with many overtime games. These are all closely matched games. For young ladies wishing to play soccer in college, Oregon colleges do provide a high level of play. It is unlikely that these colleges are throwing scholarship money away.

Comment

NOONONONONONONO

This cant be true. I was told specifically by my ECNL coach and his parent minions that ECNL's 10k a year will for sure guarantee my kid a full ride at a D1 school or better. We have spent our kids college tuition on this idea!

Nevermind we are already losing to teams that local teams would beat and my kid doesn't travel sometimes. BUt because Socal Blues ECNL team has some college destined players on it, by damned because my kid has teh ECNL patch she is just as good!

Don't believe these facts! YOu need to listen to our FC coaches who know how to recruit with propaganda while letting mediocre college players coach the teams...

My kid is getting a top scholarship and we are going into debt to do it! If you don't do it, well that means you are just sheep or OYSA whatever.

If your kid just started playing soccer or has played you need to think about ECNL, we are taking anyone who cant pay and has "faith" that our coaches know what is best. Come and join us and don't deny the "facts" that your kid will do it only with this.
                    You're not even a very good liar. Give it up.

Comment

Doesn't change the thesis of this thread (scholarships are rare), but comes at it at a different angle (just d1 scholarships as a % of HS athletes). I do not believe the following captures % of student-athletes that receive academic scholarships, only D1 athletic scholarships.

Following does call out the dramatic differences in available d1 scholarships for women than men, outside of football. However, odds still long.

Article. When considered across all of Division I, that means that the maximum number of possible scholarships offered to women in the sport in Division I outnumber those available to men by a ratio of greater than 2-1 (4340 to 1950.3). According to the latest participation data from the National Federation of State High School Associations, almost 384,000 boys and 345,000 girls participated in soccer in the nation's high schools in the 2008-09 academic year. However, the odds against obtaining a Division I college scholarship for men are far longer (197-1) than they are for women (79-1).

Odds of getting scholarship (source).

Girls basketball - .9%
                      Boys cross country/track and field - . 5%
                      Girls cross country/track and field - .9%

Football - 1.4%
                      Boys Golf - .6%
                      Girls Golf - 1.6%

Boys Soccer - .4%
                      Girls Soccer - 1%

Softball - .7%

Boys swimming and diving - .8%
                      Girls swimming and diving - 1.2%

Boys tennis - .6%
                      Girls tennis - 1.1%

Comment

You're not even a very good liar. Give it up.
                        But if you are not trying to get a scholarship by playing ECNL, then why are you doing it?

Comment

Originally posted by Slow Xavi View Post
                          Doesn't change the thesis of this thread (scholarships are rare), but comes at it at a different angle (just d1 scholarships as a % of HS athletes). I do not believe the following captures % of student-athletes that receive academic scholarships, only D1 athletic scholarships.

Following does call out the dramatic differences in available d1 scholarships for women than men, outside of football. However, odds still long.

Article. When considered across all of Division I, that means that the maximum number of possible scholarships offered to women in the sport in Division I outnumber those available to men by a ratio of greater than 2-1 (4340 to 1950.3). According to the latest participation data from the National Federation of State High School Associations, almost 384,000 boys and 345,000 girls participated in soccer in the nation's high schools in the 2008-09 academic year. However, the odds against obtaining a Division I college scholarship for men are far longer (197-1) than they are for women (79-1).

Odds of getting scholarship (source).

Girls basketball - .9%
                          Boys cross country/track and field - . 5%
                          Girls cross country/track and field - .9%

Football - 1.4%
                          Boys Golf - .6%
                          Girls Golf - 1.6%

Boys Soccer - .4%
                          Girls Soccer - 1%

Softball - .7%

Boys swimming and diving - .8%
                          Girls swimming and diving - 1.2%

Boys tennis - .6%
                          Girls tennis - 1.1%
                          Good statistics.

The NCAA allows each Division I college to give out up to 85 football scholarships! The next highest allotment of scholarships is women’s rowing at a maximum of 20 scholarships per school. Men's football programs definitely relegate male non football athletes to the poor step child category. But we still need to consider the following:

More Men Receive Athletic Scholarships than Women

Female athletes at the typical Division I-FBS (formerly Division I-A) school receive roughly: 28% of the total money spent on athletics, 31% of the recruiting dollars, and 42% of the athletic scholarship dollars.

It is what it is

Comment

Good statistics.

The NCAA allows each Division I college to give out up to 85 football scholarships! The next highest allotment of scholarships is women’s rowing at a maximum of 20 scholarships per school. Men's football programs definitely relegate male non football athletes to the poor step child category. But we still need to consider the following:

More Men Receive Athletic Scholarships than Women

Female athletes at the typical Division I-FBS (formerly Division I-A) school receive roughly: 28% of the total money spent on athletics, 31% of the recruiting dollars, and 42% of the athletic scholarship dollars.

It is what it is
                            Remember, that is what they CAN offer. They don't HAVE to offer that many.

Comment

But if you are not trying to get a scholarship by playing ECNL, then why are you doing it?
                              Competition moron. Granted, I wouldn't expect a fat ass who never played competitive sports to understand this simple concept.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X