Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    ECNL will never compete with the Thorns because they don't have a league to play in.

The angst against ECNL is because the Timbers and TA can't compete with the ECNL. They aren't in it and can't get in. This is why we see all this propaganda against the ECNL and local ECNL clubs.
    ECNL will have to compete with the Thorns Academy for talented players. The Thorns Academy has a lot of resources behind it and should be able to keep the costs down.

This whole thing comes down to marketing and recruiting players. Who comes out on top will be the club that recruits the best.

Comment

Traveling all over the country, spending a fortune, will only go so far unless they can have some success.

Comment

Traveling all over the country, spending a fortune, will only go so far unless they can have some success.
        It seems to be working for over 70 clubs across the country right now. Someone always ends up at the bottom and many near the bottom. Those teams still played great games and learned from it.

What am I saying? Your comment is silly.

Comment

This is pure comedic gold!
          Yes it is. And the best part is that he didn't intend for it to be comedy. It just comes across that way.

Comment

Not True

Mistake number one is to try to have a reasonable conversation with Angry Poster. The nasty o grams AP leaves all over this forum have led to a lot of people flinging "mud" back at AP so then AP gets defensive and ratchets up the nasty o grams.

If everyone toned it down, meaning stop responding to the bait, they would find that the mud slinging would subside.

AP - If you just stopped, no matter how strongly you think you are right, you would see a dramatic ramping down of the chatter for and against. Your defensive and angry responses will get a reply every time.
            If only. I didn't open TS Oregon for a month and that did not stop the haters from spewing their distortions or hate. You could/can track their multiple DAILY attacks in nearly every ECNL related thread and even some not related to the ECNL or the Academy.

You may think treating them civilly is a better approach but theirs is an argument supported only by their hate and their limited individual opinions. The supporters on the other hand have provided reams of factual data and first hand experience only to have it countered by "what ifs" and "you don't know until you do" crap!

Angry? If you say so. Fed up 100% spot on. No matter how many times the haters are faced with counter arguments that are backed up with either facts or experience they insist on repeating the lies & distortions.

You may think allowing them to go unchallenged will boost the ECNL cause but we have seen here in the past week "new" people log in and buy the Haters claims so countering the Haters forcefully and repeatedly is required least one person buy into their line of "reasoning". Being "nice" might make you feel better but there is a reason negative advertising works in politics' and allowing the Haters to go unchallenged is the same as not responding to the attack ads.

Signed
            The real THUSC mom
            Accept no substitutes

Comment

If only. I didn't open TS Oregon for a month and that did not stop the haters from spewing their distortions or hate. You could/can track their multiple DAILY attacks in nearly every ECNL related thread and even some not related to the ECNL or the Academy.

You may think treating them civilly is a better approach but theirs is an argument supported only by their hate and their limited individual opinions. The supporters on the other hand have provided reams of factual data and first hand experience only to have it countered by "what ifs" and "you don't know until you do" crap!

Angry? If you say so. Fed up 100% spot on. No matter how many times the haters are faced with counter arguments that are backed up with either facts or experience they insist on repeating the lies & distortions.

You may think allowing them to go unchallenged will boost the ECNL cause but we have seen here in the past week "new" people log in and buy the Haters claims so countering the Haters forcefully and repeatedly is required least one person buy into their line of "reasoning". Being "nice" might make you feel better but there is a reason negative advertising works in politics' and allowing the Haters to go unchallenged is the same as not responding to the attack ads.

Signed
              The real THUSC mom
              Accept no substitutes
              The problem is what you call "factual data" is based on "every other ECNL team" The celebrations of success are based on the to level So cal teams. There is no factual data regarding Oregon ECNL because only one team has played just a few games.

The question is do you expect them to immediately jump to the top of the league, or should we expect them starting at the bottom.

I won't provide my answers, because I don't want you to accuse me of pushing an angle…but just be aware your "factual data" is not compelling because it is only an estimate. That is all anyone has.

Comment

Signed
                The real THUSC mom
                Accept no substitutes

As a ECNL supporter I really don't think your "heated" posts do anything positive.

Comment

As a ECNL supporter I really don't think your "heated" posts do anything positive.
                  Oh no! Please don't stop - This is hilarious

Comment

Signed
                    The real THUSC mom
                    Accept no substitutes
                    I'm skeptical of who you really are. However, regardless, this is very funny. Between AP and Thusc Mom, who must be related if indeed they aren't the same person, I don't know which one brings out more enjoyment.

Comment

The problem is what you call "factual data" is based on "every other ECNL team" The celebrations of success are based on the to level So cal teams. There is no factual data regarding Oregon ECNL because only one team has played just a few games.

The question is do you expect them to immediately jump to the top of the league, or should we expect them starting at the bottom.

I won't provide my answers, because I don't want you to accuse me of pushing an angle…but just be aware your "factual data" is not compelling because it is only an estimate. That is all anyone has.
                      I have reasonable expectations for our entries this first year and that does not include a lot of wins but it does include being exposed to truly competitive soccer where all of the girls on the pitch are there because they want to be not just because it's what they have been doing with their "friends' for years. I also expect a ton of individual grow from the players willing to put in the work. And that growth will be far greater than any other team offering including the academy simple because of the volume and quality of the competition.

"One" of the reason that Oregon does not place more of our equally physically talented girls on more top programs is that only a small handful get exposure to this type of competition. Now all the girls with the desire have the opportunity to measure themselves against the best.

I have never ever said the ECNL was anything more than an opportunity. When I talk about facts and results all of those were achieved by players who had the talent AND the desire. Previously local players with the same had to drive North.

I also agree that the price of ECNL will dilute the talent pool. I know there are 30 ECNL caliber girls in the Willamette Valley and the Couve in each age group if only they had the money Oregon could represent.

As a parent whose DD took her game to a new level and reaped the rewards of a D1 offer I only want others to have the same chance and the Haters constant dogging of a single team that just came together is neither representative or productive. Anybody can be the old guys in the Muppet balcony!

Comment

I have reasonable expectations for our entries this first year and that does not include a lot of wins but it does include being exposed to truly competitive soccer where all of the girls on the pitch are there because they want to be not just because it's what they have been doing with their "friends' for years. I also expect a ton of individual grow from the players willing to put in the work. And that growth will be far greater than any other team offering including the academy simple because of the volume and quality of the competition.

"One" of the reason that Oregon does not place more of our equally physically talented girls on more top programs is that only a small handful get exposure to this type of competition. Now all the girls with the desire have the opportunity to measure themselves against the best.

I have never ever said the ECNL was anything more than an opportunity. When I talk about facts and results all of those were achieved by players who had the talent AND the desire. Previously local players with the same had to drive North.

I also agree that the price of ECNL will dilute the talent pool. I know there are 30 ECNL caliber girls in the Willamette Valley and the Couve in each age group if only they had the money Oregon could represent.

As a parent whose DD took her game to a new level and reaped the rewards of a D1 offer I only want others to have the same chance and the Haters constant dogging of a single team that just came together is neither representative or productive. Anybody can be the old guys in the Muppet balcony!
                        Thank you, I wish them all the best of luck. Now how about dropping the "haters"tag…You are an enthusiastic early adopter.

Some people want to see actual Oregon based outcomes rather than jumping in based on results in other states.

Some people are circumspect about spending the money required. You argue most of the cost is travel, but why would i have my daughter do something like this and have her not travel. Being Circumspect about spending $8-$10,000 does not make me poor. I may just be careful with how I spend, so is Warren Buffett.

There maybe some Old men in the Muppet Balcony, but I believe the majority who ask questions still are not completely sure…labeling these folks as Haters only alienates them from ever making a pro-ECNL decision.

Comment

Thank you, I wish them all the best of luck. Now how about dropping the "haters"tag…You are an enthusiastic early adopter.

Some people want to see actual Oregon based outcomes rather than jumping in based on results in other states.

Some people are circumspect about spending the money required. You argue most of the cost is travel, but why would i have my daughter do something like this and have her not travel. Being Circumspect about spending $8-$10,000 does not make me poor. I may just be careful with how I spend, so is Warren Buffett.

There maybe some Old men in the Muppet Balcony, but I believe the majority who ask questions still are not completely sure…labeling these folks as Haters only alienates them from ever making a pro-ECNL decision.
                          Excellent post and I agree. You didn't even mention the coaching. And remember, this is their first foray into the "big time". They are going to have growing pains as well. They may think they are providing the right training and may find out that they are woefully off in the training. It might take them a year or so to figure it out. I mean, investing big dollars in year one while hoping that the clubs and coaches have their act together is a risk that I didn't want to take.

Comment

A "Reasonable" position

Excellent post and I agree. You didn't even mention the coaching. And remember, this is their first foray into the "big time". They are going to have growing pains as well. They may think they are providing the right training and may find out that they are woefully off in the training. It might take them a year or so to figure it out. I mean, investing big dollars in year one while hoping that the clubs and coaches have their act together is a risk that I didn't want to take.
                            Both of those perspectives are valid. It is reasonable to have questions about the value of of the initial years of the local ECNL effort compared to established programs.

I too have doubts about the coaching of a few of the teams and also worry that those coaches may not be up to the task of dealing with the psychology of the expected results for a few of the teams. However unless your 15 or 16 is going to be in a similarly intense training and travel program you are going to be literally throwing one of the most critical years of her development in the toilet.

So the choice IMHO is to have her put her development on hold for one of the most critical years or take the plunge and realize that is it far, far better to suffer the growing pains than the local alternative.

Comment

watching people burn their money

is hard to watch

Comment

Simple Solution

is hard to watch
                                Don't

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X