Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Cross training is good for growing bodies, especially good for growing girls.

Are there any clubs that aren't continuing to practice after the season is over? i.e. taking a winter break?
    Yes. The LO Bumblebees, the Clackamas Grapevines, the Vancouver TurfBuilders and Bend Snowbirds.

Comment

Really? I thought most clubs believed in a winter break for indoor & other sports like basketball? Our club is basically after Nov.9th until late January, We may have a couple of trainings thrown in there for good measure but most of our players will be knee deep in basketball this winter. Not good to not take a break from soccer, especially at this age!

Comment

Really? I thought most clubs believed in a winter break for indoor & other sports like basketball? Our club is basically after Nov.9th until late January, We may have a couple of trainings thrown in there for good measure but most of our players will be knee deep in basketball this winter. Not good to not take a break from soccer, especially at this age!
        I think you'll find that the clubs with lots of top teams train throughout the winter, both in the gym and outdoor. A few kids will miss some practices for basketball but most have made that decision - one or the other - by U13 or U14.

It certainly helps if your club has turf fields to practice on in the winter. Grass without lights won't cut it...

What's not good about not taking a break? Winter is perfect time for strength and agility training and getting lots of touches on the ball in practice.

Comment

It's fun to recognize the soccer players from other clubs out on the basketball court.

Most of the best soccer players are also very good basketball players which I isn't a big surprise.

Comment

No wonder so many girls drop out by high school. Almost all the best players on our top ranked team also are great basketball players or just love to play basketball too. They concentrate on basketball during the winter and come back still ahead of the players who try to keep cramming in as much extra soccer as they can. The coaches have seen it year after year and now support it. Plus, our team is one of the highest ranked do I don't think it's been hurting the players soccer-wise. I'm pretty sure the top ranked team in this age-group also takes a significant winter break. Believe it's also US Soccer best practices for this age group.

Comment

No wonder so many girls drop out by high school. Almost all the best players on our top ranked team also are great basketball players or just love to play basketball too. They concentrate on basketball during the winter and come back still ahead of the players who try to keep cramming in as much extra soccer as they can. The coaches have seen it year after year and now support it. Plus, our team is one of the highest ranked do I don't think it's been hurting the players soccer-wise. I'm pretty sure the top ranked team in this age-group also takes a significant winter break. Believe it's also US Soccer best practices for this age group.
              Which "top ranked" teams are these?

Comment

What team is this?

I have a daughter an age group higher and this has not been what I have seen over the last three years. The ones taking the break or go to soccer intermittently start to fall behind. It's small but noticeable, the more athletic ones make up for it in aggression and speed at the younger ages and can catch up quicker at older ages. But there is definitely a drop. A drop in decision making, in touch, etc. They look clumsier. This is a premier level not D2. But I also think it's worth it, if a kid wants to play other sports. It's a price you pay.

Comment

What team is this?

I have a daughter an age group higher and this has not been what I have seen over the last three years. The ones taking the break or go to soccer intermittently start to fall behind. It's small but noticeable, the more athletic ones make up for it in aggression and speed at the younger ages and can catch up quicker at older ages. But there is definitely a drop. A drop in decision making, in touch, etc. They look clumsier. This is a premier level not D2. But I also think it's worth it, if a kid wants to play other sports. It's a price you pay.
                  This specialization seems risky. From a physical standpoint and from a balance standpoint. There are kids that are going to take the winter off and play basketball and kids that are going blitz through the winter doing soccer 3x a week.

I don't remember this as a kid. I played basketball, football and baseball all the way through high school. I suppose now that you have people focusing exclusively on one sport you can lose some ground.

It seems too young to pick one sport.

Comment

It's fun to recognize the soccer players from other clubs out on the basketball court.

Most of the best soccer players are also very good basketball players which I isn't a big surprise.
                    A lot of the skills and game mentality are the same with soccer and basketball.

Comment

Our pediatrician told us she needs substantial breaks at this age. Their young bodies need rest during rapid growth periods.

Comment

This specialization seems risky. From a physical standpoint and from a balance standpoint. There are kids that are going to take the winter off and play basketball and kids that are going blitz through the winter doing soccer 3x a week.

I don't remember this as a kid. I played basketball, football and baseball all the way through high school. I suppose now that you have people focusing exclusively on one sport you can lose some ground.

It seems too young to pick one sport.

I agree, but it's 2014 not 1984.

That's just it. The ones that focus, get better and better. Again, some can do multiple sports and be just fine. Most can't. Most will drop as the skill level increases, and speed/aggression become less of an equalizer.

There is nothing wrong with this.... few get scholarships.... nothing wrong with having fun. But there is an arms race in youth sports in general, not just soccer.

Comment

My daughters team is a year younger but this fall we only practiced once a week because over half the girls ran cross country. And we are still a top team in Oregon. Basketball is next and over half the team will also play basketball. It's very possible to do more than one high level sport, you just have to have parents who are dedicated to making it work, a coach willing to make it work and girls willing to work hard to make it happen.

Comment

My daughters team is a year younger but this fall we only practiced once a week because over half the girls ran cross country. And we are still a top team in Oregon. Basketball is next and over half the team will also play basketball. It's very possible to do more than one high level sport, you just have to have parents who are dedicated to making it work, a coach willing to make it work and girls willing to work hard to make it happen.
                            I agree. We had quite a few girls run xcountry. Still had 2-3 practices a week on top of that. Those were some tired kids.

Comment

Any score from the Eugene - WashT game today?

Comment

Any score from the Eugene - WashT game today?
                                4-0 Eugene

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X