Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The USMNT is just ranked #29 in the world. Our best players aren't even good enough to sit on the bench on the top leagues in the world. (Except for our goalies)

This country needs to understand that the sport of futbol is not about being the biggest,fastest,tallest, or strongest athlete. It is an art. It is about developing individual artistry on the ball, rather than playing on set plays, and it's not a sport that coaches can just dictate everything.

Messi is just 5"6, and even fast. Xavi and Iniesta are just 5"7. I say this because the sport just requires a lot of creativity, and not physical training.

Small sided games should encourage more touches. But let me remind you too about the culture of winning in this country. Almost 90% of the small sided outdoor games I've seen are concentrated on cherry picking and booting it as hard as they can. No emphasis on passing at all. Just winning.

Younger kids need to play futsal, and 3v3. There has to be more focus on fun and these kids need to play at least 10 times more games than they do here in Florida.
    LET THEM PLAY THE GAME. That is the only secret that the rest of the world does so well. Since our kids don't play it with their friends at home, at the park... The solution is not on "training", but just let them play it more.
    My daughter has been playing 6 years and was never exposed to futsal until recently. With all the rain in Florida this year, her new coach moved practice inside for one-hour of ball mastery drills and one-hour of futsal games. It is incredible! The message above is right on! I can't believe how many touches they get and they have a blast. Come out completely drenched in sweat and wanting more!

Comment

My daughter has been playing 6 years and was never exposed to futsal until recently. With all the rain in Florida this year, her new coach moved practice inside for one-hour of ball mastery drills and one-hour of futsal games. It is incredible! The message above is right on! I can't believe how many touches they get and they have a blast. Come out completely drenched in sweat and wanting more!
      Where did your kid play indoors?

Comment

This is about much more than just more touches. Of course, it should NOT be mandated, it should come as a result of coaching education.

http://www.cbcdutchtouch.com/images/...Sidedgames.ppt

http://www.soccerindiana.org/UserFil...es%20Study.pdf

Comment

Interesting. I am curious to see how quickly FYSA jumps on board and announces this. The build out line and the age determination will be the biggest adjustment. I think this is a good move on the part of USSF.

Comment

The USMNT is just ranked #29 in the world. Our best players aren't even good enough to sit on the bench on the top leagues in the world. (Except for our goalies)

This country needs to understand that the sport of futbol is not about being the biggest,fastest,tallest, or strongest athlete. It is an art. It is about developing individual artistry on the ball, rather than playing on set plays, and it's not a sport that coaches can just dictate everything.

Messi is just 5"6, and even fast. Xavi and Iniesta are just 5"7. I say this because the sport just requires a lot of creativity, and not physical training.

Small sided games should encourage more touches. But let me remind you too about the culture of winning in this country. Almost 90% of the small sided outdoor games I've seen are concentrated on cherry picking and booting it as hard as they can. No emphasis on passing at all. Just winning.

Younger kids need to play futsal, and 3v3. There has to be more focus on fun and these kids need to play at least 10 times more games than they do here in Florida.
            LET THEM PLAY THE GAME. That is the only secret that the rest of the world does so well. Since our kids don't play it with their friends at home, at the park... The solution is not on "training", but just let them play it more.
            Thank you for one of the few intelligents comments on this thread. Over half the comments are related "breaking up my team" and "big field teaches spacing." F'ing retarded comments. This is all abouts more touches on a ball and high level skill development. I love the "Build from the back" line concept.

Btw, if soccer was all about having the best athletes, the US would win hands down. Its not even about the fastest, or Jamaica would win. It's more about developing elite skill and soccer iq.

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly with much of what you said but I take issue with one significant point. "the sport just requires a lot of creativity, and not physical training". Granted, the lack of creativity is indeed a problem but the "not physical training" part is absolutely untrue. You used your three examples to emphasize your point but their diminutive size does not mean they are not highly trained athletes. In fact, I would contend that one of the biggest flaws in the soccer community's perspective is that speed, power and explosiveness are for football players, etc. If you want to be elite you have to either be an athletic anomaly or you have to train like an elite athlete. Look up the really good ones and you will see how hard they train.

Comment

Thank you for one of the few intelligents comments on this thread. Over half the comments are related "breaking up my team" and "big field teaches spacing." F'ing retarded comments. This is all abouts more touches on a ball and high level skill development. I love the "Build from the back" line concept.

Btw, if soccer was all about having the best athletes, the US would win hands down. Its not even about the fastest, or Jamaica would win. It's more about developing elite skill and soccer iq.
                No, the U.S. would not win hands down if soccer were about having the best athletes because our best athletes don't play soccer. If they did it would be a very different story.

Comment

Daughter born August 10, 2001. As things are currently set up she is a rising U-14 because on the cut-off date of August 1st, 2015 she will be 13 (for 9 more days until she turns 14). She is the oldest on her rising U14 team; about 1/2 of the girls are rising 8th graders [graduation date of 2020] and 1/2 are rising 9th graders [graduation date of 2019]). It starts to get tricky from a scheduling standpoint because some of the rising 9th graders want to play for their High School team in a few months but half the club team is going to still be in middle school. If they change the birth date rule it would rip teams like this down the middle.
                  Correct and they would reform by their birth year. With regard to competition I think it will have an impact on some more then others. Clubs that play their august birthdays down will struggle the most. Clubs that play their august birthdays up will do well

Comment

No, the U.S. would not win hands down if soccer were about having the best athletes because our best athletes don't play soccer. If they did it would be a very different story.
                    Yeah our best athletes are playing baseball LMAO. Or maybe football players or Basketball LMAO. Soccer takes a lifetime to master the foot skills to be at an elite level. You cant just take Lebron James and put him on the National team and expect results as he would be totally laughed off the field. You don't have a clue.

Comment

Florida has been pretty much devoid of this type of soccer. Up north they have indoor soccer with walls. I believe has a similar effect to futsal. The key is Fast paced, intense, high speed of play soccer in a small area.

Comment

Florida has been pretty much devoid of this type of soccer. Up north they have indoor soccer with walls. I believe has a similar effect to futsal. The key is Fast paced, intense, high speed of play soccer in a small area.
                        My son, now U17, played futsal for 3 years indoors in the off season. Not only did it help him develop his foot skills, it also greatly improved his passing skills. If you watch any championship futsal games on YouTube, you will see that passing skills are probably more important than foot skills.

Comment

Yeah our best athletes are playing baseball LMAO. Or maybe football players or Basketball LMAO. Soccer takes a lifetime to master the foot skills to be at an elite level. You cant just take Lebron James and put him on the National team and expect results as he would be totally laughed off the field. You don't have a clue.
                          What was your point? The original poster basically stated that our best athletes migrate to sports other than soccer. So do you contend the opposite? That the best athletes in the US play soccer?

If you don't think that's the case then I'm not sure what your argument is. LBJ is a physical freak internationally. He's not an example of the top athletes found in the US or any country. He's an oddity in that regard. He has the physique to excel at just about any sport where size, speed and height is a benefit.

Comment

Yet another buffoon who "cleverly" replied to a post without giving it any real thought. I did not, in any way, suggest that we take a great athlete out of one sport and simply plug them into another. You're right, anyone who thinks that has no clue.
                            In the vast majority of the United States the money and notoriety are in football, basketball and baseball. All you have to do is watch TV to see that this is true. And if that's not enough for you, check out the average salaries of the team sports in our country. That's what draws our best athletes to those sports. If you believe our best athletes play soccer, you are delusional.
                            Since you mentioned LeBron James, imagine if he had grown up playing soccer instead of basketball. How about Adrian Peterson, Russell Westbrook, Mike Trout, Aaron Rodgers, to name a few. Let's not forget Kobe Bryant, who grew up playing soccer but ultimately went the basketball route because of the money.

Comment

Do you think Messi would have made a great basketball or football player if he had grown up in the US

Comment

Do you think Messi would have made a great basketball or football player if he had grown up in the US
                                No way to know for sure but Muggsy Bogues, Earl Boykins, and Spud Webb had nice careers. Darren Sproles isn't too bad either. It's really a moot point in this conversation though because we are talking about the actual best athletes in the U.S. Name one guy who plays, or has ever played, soccer for the U.S. that is a superior athlete to any of the American athletes who were mentioned above. I'll give you Tim Howard as a possible equal.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X