Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So what about people who can't afford $2,000 a year? It's great that the system fits your needs and budget but it doesn't fit for everyone, which mean people get excluded.

And give me a single good reason to have a paid administrative staff or a DOC at all. I have less of an issue with coaches getting some sort of stipend to offset expenses but can't come up with a single reason for a DOC to make a full time salary. Not one.

And why would someone coach a kid for free? At the youth level? Is that a serious question? 95% of the coaches I have seen since being involved in this (and I'm being generous) are not professional coaches worthy of pay. Does it make sense to have some high level people in the organization? Sure. Does it make sense to compensate them to some degree? Sure. But you and I both know that for the most part we are paying Billy's dad to coach because he is bringing half of Billy's old team to our club.
    If you can't afford $2,000 there are plenty of options that may fit your budget. Some clubs are in the $600 range for competitive and $300 for rec. There is also financial aid.

Do you think clubs should only be run and managed by volunteers? Most clubs' managers are coaches as well. Coupled together, they could be full time jobs. What an ED or DOC earns is driven by the size of the club. Most clubs are in the $200K-$300K range. They aren't going to be paid much with those revenues. There are only a few in the $2MM range. A organization that size needs professional management. Whether you would be happy with the managers is not the issue.

Coaches with playing experience and who have obtained licenses are worthy of being paid. If you are unhappy with the coach, go play somewhere else. There are plenty of clubs that use "volunteer" coaches. Some may not even be parents. I think if a coach has the proper qualifications, then they should be paid. Parent coaches should not be paid.

Comment

I continue to be amazed at the people who whine about the money. First, soccer fees are not that expensive. When you break down the number of practices and games your kid receives for the registration fee, it is a few dollars. I am paying around $2,000 for this season which includes registration, team fees and tournaments. My kid will practice/train three nights per week and play around 40 games. The cost comes out to around $12.50 per session. What else can you do for $12.50?

Who works for free? Parent coaches! There are a few non-parents that will volunteer coach, but not enough to go around. Most people work and get a pay check. Why shouldn't club administrators and coaches? They aren't getting rich. I bet on an hourly rate, the average player's parent makes five times what their kid's coach is being paid. Why should they coach your kid for free?

FYSA could improve in their back office operations, especially marketing and communication. Otherwise, FYSA is doing the right things. US Club and Youth Soccer will force one another to innovate and improve. The competition will make their programs better. A single entity is a horrible idea. Today there are ample choices to find the club/team right for you.
      I was a volunteer coach at a high level (select/advanced/premier) for most of my coaching career and did for free (4 letter word) because I LOVED the game, LOVED teaching the game at a high level, my son LOVED the game, people appreciated my contribution, and it was affordable for almost everyone. I coached kids in many socio-economic classes several who couldn't afford it. We pooled money, much out of my pocket because it was about kids playing soccer and the love of the game.

Does paying a coach make them a better coach, nope. Paying coaches drives them to have to win at all costs. It stops being about the love of the game. It becomes justification for the money they made.

Look at many of the posts on this forum. It's not about kids playing soccer, it's about egos and living vicariously thru your children. It's sickening to see parents, coaches and administrators get so ugly with each other over a youth sport. We have sunk low.

The more you pay the more you expect out of it and people are willing to say and do whatever, whatever it takes to get the payoff at the end of it all. Parents don't pay $2k, $5k, $10k per year for their kid to play...it's about a pot of gold at the end of that rainbow.

it's not about the money....sure.
      And FIFA isn't about the money either.

Comment

MAKE IT FREE!!!

When playing soccer is more expensive than basketball,baseball, and football yet the least popular, you are not getting anywhere. When it gets more and more expensive as you go up the age groups, it's not going to have any improvements or changes at all.
        Let's face it. It's a pay-for-play sport that only the ones who can afford can play, and not those who are the best at it.

There is no need for a D.A., or different leagues,or those money-making tournaments. Just make it that starting U13, top teams will be free, or at least the cheapest form of soccer. That way, only the best players are rewarded, and competitions for spots will be a real one. Allow only one state tournament, and make that all season long so you'll have teams competing in their areas first and then go up the ladder. Corporate sponsors alone can do this easy. It will take a real commitment to the sport and stop treating it as a business. But clearly, FYSA is all about the money.

You would still have div.2 and others for those spoiled rich kids anyways to have their teams and win those nonsense trophies.
        FYSA is not all about money. Have you seen the books? They don't make any money.

What is with all the restrictions? This is a free country and the free market is working fine with soccer. There is even competition between YSA and US Club.

You should start a new soccer association.

Comment

I really hope you're joking. If not, it may be time to pick up a new hobby....
          It's already starting.... at a soccer field near you

http://www.news-press.com/story/mone...-use/30945747/

Comment

FYSA is not all about money. Have you seen the books? They don't make any money.

What is with all the restrictions? This is a free country and the free market is working fine with soccer. There is even competition between YSA and US Club.

You should start a new soccer association.
            You obviously didn't see the thread earlier this summer of the financials of FYSA. In sort, FYSA is loaded.

Comment

You obviously didn't see the thread earlier this summer of the financials of FYSA. In sort, FYSA is loaded.
              I reviewed the financials and provided some analysis several weeks ago. FYSA is not loaded. Why do you think it is?

Comment

I reviewed the financials and provided some analysis several weeks ago. FYSA is not loaded. Why do you think it is?
                It is a healthy organization with enough cash and investments to cover over a year in operating costs.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X