Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Good post. With so many clubs out there it's easy for those middle kids to find a spot somewhere. Town programs can reverse the trend by offering a better price value than those check cashing clubs. Maybe they have to raise the price a bit but if they bring in quality pro coaches and take some of the town politics out of it, they could win those middle families back.
    Maybe Covid19 will change things. I don't disagree with the logic of your post, but i strongly disagree with the reality of your post. You seem to not get that Parents who decide to pay for club soccer are not making a "value" decision. Club soccer is about paying a premium to to keep up. It could be for social or soccer reasons but at minimum parents pay so their kid isn't left behind.

Comment

Maybe Covid19 will change things. I don't disagree with the logic of your post, but i strongly disagree with the reality of your post. You seem to not get that Parents who decide to pay for club soccer are not making a "value" decision. Club soccer is about paying a premium to to keep up. It could be for social or soccer reasons but at minimum parents pay so their kid isn't left behind.
      Certainly, some parents are simply "keeping up" with their neighbors/friends/rivals. It's a HUGE overreach to apply that thinking across the board in club soccer.

In our case, our kid was bored out of her mind playing against the cones in her town travel league. Even though her team was very successful, there were kids at the bottom of the roster who could not play at all. Practice was boring, and there were only 2-3 kids who tried to compete or challenge each other at anything. Moving to a club was the only way to keep it fun and interesting. We couldn't care less what other people were doing with their kids.

Comment

Certainly, some parents are simply "keeping up" with their neighbors/friends/rivals. It's a HUGE overreach to apply that thinking across the board in club soccer.

In our case, our kid was bored out of her mind playing against the cones in her town travel league. Even though her team was very successful, there were kids at the bottom of the roster who could not play at all. Practice was boring, and there were only 2-3 kids who tried to compete or challenge each other at anything. Moving to a club was the only way to keep it fun and interesting. We couldn't care less what other people were doing with their kids.
        I said it could be for social or soccer reasons. You literally just said the other kids couldn't keep up with your little soccer star. So you switched her to a club where they could. Still wasn't about value, it was about quality

Comment

I said it could be for social or soccer reasons. You literally just said the other kids couldn't keep up with your little soccer star. So you switched her to a club where they could. Still wasn't about value, it was about quality
          You said it was about not wanting to be left behind. That never entered into our minds.

Comment

You said it was about not wanting to be left behind. That never entered into our minds.
            From observation of parents around me it isn't that rare a concern.

Your town team isn't that good, your kid isn't playing as well as you (as the parent) believe they are capable of, maybe the problem is the coaching. Wait, the teammates who are doing well are playing club and getting extra training with a professional coach?!? Where can I sign up?

Comment

My observation as well. Posters point is valid that the decision on “value” is either to do it or not do it. Once “in” each family has their own reasons from Convenience, being with friends, performance, status, hope.

Comment

Good post. With so many clubs out there it's easy for those middle kids to find a spot somewhere. Town programs can reverse the trend by offering a better price value than those check cashing clubs. Maybe they have to raise the price a bit but if they bring in quality pro coaches and take some of the town politics out of it, they could win those middle families back.
                Good grief...90% of this board bitches all day long about coaching.
                There is no such thing as “Quality pro coaches” at the youth level in this country.
                NO SUCH THING.
                If you’re lucky, you get a few dedicated individuals who make no money willing to coach. At club level. Even more rare at town.
                Be happy you get any coaching.
                And just wait until we run out of refs...

Comment

Good grief...90% of this board bitches all day long about coaching.
                  There is no such thing as “Quality pro coaches” at the youth level in this country.
                  NO SUCH THING.
                  If you’re lucky, you get a few dedicated individuals who make no money willing to coach. At club level. Even more rare at town.
                  Be happy you get any coaching.
                  And just wait until we run out of refs...
                  Having badges doesn’t make you a pro, either.
                  It does show that you’re serious, at any level

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X