Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soccer commentary has racial bias

"RunRepeat, in partnership with The Professional Footballers' Association, has analyzed 2,073 statements from commentators in 80 soccer matches from the 2019/20 season. This is the first time a study of this kind has been conducted to understand if there is a difference in the way the soccer media talks about players of different skin color."

https://runrepeat.com/racial-bias-study-soccer

Let's not ignore the fact that players "with darker skin tone," as they put it, are often faster and more powerful. Look at track and field. It's not racist, it's just a fact. And did anyone ever consider that a "lighter skin tone" player might be receiving praise for his work ethic because the announcer is trying to find a way to say, "He has to work really hard to make up for the fact that he doesn't have the pace that others (who may or may not have a darker skin tone." There are many reasons for things to be said, but I guess if you're a hammer, you're going to see a nail wherever you look.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Let's not ignore the fact that players "with darker skin tone," as they put it, are often faster and more powerful. Look at track and field. It's not racist, it's just a fact. And did anyone ever consider that a "lighter skin tone" player might be receiving praise for his work ethic because the announcer is trying to find a way to say, "He has to work really hard to make up for the fact that he doesn't have the pace that others (who may or may not have a darker skin tone." There are many reasons for things to be said, but I guess if you're a hammer, you're going to see a nail wherever you look.
      They should do that same study and break it down by position and then look at race with relation to position. If white players are more in central positions and black players more in wing and forward positions, I wonder how the results would break down. Similarly, look at games of all white players and all black players and see if you find similar metrics about positions rather than races. I bet you would and I would bet, that (right or wrong) you might find faster players (possibly more black players than whites) are generally put more into outside and forward positions and that the comments are more geared at positions and the characteristics that constitute a good XYZ player. Very easy to make stats say whatever the user wants them to if you take a narrow brush of the topic.

Comment

They should do that same study and break it down by position and then look at race with relation to position. If white players are more in central positions and black players more in wing and forward positions, I wonder how the results would break down. Similarly, look at games of all white players and all black players and see if you find similar metrics about positions rather than races. I bet you would and I would bet, that (right or wrong) you might find faster players (possibly more black players than whites) are generally put more into outside and forward positions and that the comments are more geared at positions and the characteristics that constitute a good XYZ player. Very easy to make stats say whatever the user wants them to if you take a narrow brush of the topic.
        Why should we care what the color of a players skin happens to be?

Comment

Why should we care what the color of a players skin happens to be?
          Agree wholeheartedly.

Good God, commentators from Liverpool think any player from Manchester isn’t worth shyte and vice versa. They could care less about color.
          What a total waste of time.

Comment

Agree wholeheartedly.

Good God, commentators from Liverpool think any player from Manchester isn’t worth shyte and vice versa. They could care less about color.
            What a total waste of time.
            There are no worse people on the planet now than race-baiters. Unfortunately they have been given the floor by the globalists, at least for the time being.

Comment

Article does not mention the numbers of each dark skin or light skin player. It would be interesting to see what commentaries come from African countries where most players have dark skin.

Comment

Really? Bias on broadcasts? Aren't they color commentators?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X