Coronavirus Risk with Soccer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agreed with Gods Cuomo/Murphy and there approach to this virus while other States ignored the advice of the medical community. I wear a mask in public when I am around other people /crowds and I wash my hands often and carry around hand sanitizer. That being said I have educated myself and read and listened to podcasts with the leading Doctors in the medical community who are all in agreement that what I am doing is the best we can do right now to prevent the spread. In addition, I now believe based on their information that “herding” is the next giant leap we can make for the vast majority who do not have any underlining illnesses or the elderly. School should start in September and sports should start as well. That means soccer should go back now for these kids. This virus is not going away anytime soon. There will no be no vaccine till 2021 and as I have red the vast majority of doctors would not recommend giving the vaccine to healthy people for at least 3 years thereafter till they know the effects of the vaccine. It’s time to move forward now in an intelligent manner. Quarantine worked in our area it’s time to move forward, be smart.

Comment

Disagree. Should probably wait until 2021 after the fall/winter months especially since parts of country still struggling.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I agreed with Gods Cuomo/Murphy and there approach to this virus while other States ignored the advice of the medical community. I wear a mask in public when I am around other people /crowds and I wash my hands often and carry around hand sanitizer. That being said I have educated myself and read and listened to podcasts with the leading Doctors in the medical community who are all in agreement that what I am doing is the best we can do right now to prevent the spread. In addition, I now believe based on their information that “herding” is the next giant leap we can make for the vast majority who do not have any underlining illnesses or the elderly. School should start in September and sports should start as well. That means soccer should go back now for these kids. This virus is not going away anytime soon. There will no be no vaccine till 2021 and as I have red the vast majority of doctors would not recommend giving the vaccine to healthy people for at least 3 years thereafter till they know the effects of the vaccine. It’s time to move forward now in an intelligent manner. Quarantine worked in our area it’s time to move forward, be smart.

Comment

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...parents-summer

In January, a 9-year-old on a ski holiday in the French Alps with his family was exposed to a traveler with COVID-19. His experience may provide the best-case scenario of what can happen when a child is infected.

After contracting the coronavirus, the child experienced mild symptoms. And despite attending three different schools while ill, he did not transmit the virus to any of the 55 school contacts tested, researchers reported April 11 in Clinical Infectious Diseases. Nor did his two siblings become infected. Yet influenza was spreading between children at the schools and among the siblings at the very same time.

One of the rationales behind the quick closure of schools in the face of COVID-19 was drawn from past experience with children and influenza. Children — particularly young children — are considered the main drivers of flu transmission within communities, and shutting schools has curtailed the spread of the flu during past epidemics and pandemics.

But the role that children play in spreading SARS-CoV-2 is less apparent. The vacationing schoolboy and his classmates may have just been lucky, but there’s other early evidence that children may not be as important to the spread of the coronavirus as they are to influenza.

A peek into schools in Australia early in the pandemic suggests that the virus may not spread wildly among students. In New South Wales, the Australian state that includes Sydney, 18 people from 15 schools — nine students and nine staff — were confirmed with COVID-19 from March 5 through April 3. Even though 735 students and 128 staff were in close contact with the initial 18, only two students appeared to have contracted the coronavirus at school from those first cases.

Ireland reported its first case of COVID-19 — a student who had been to Northern Italy — at the beginning of March; schools closed at the end of the day on March 12. In that time, three students (one without symptoms) and three adult staff with COVID-19 were in contact with 924 children and 101 adults at schools. None of the contacts become infected, researchers report May 28 in Eurosurveillance.

Sweden has kept many schools open during the pandemic, but the country’s Public Health Agency hasn’t released data on how students and teachers have fared. Meanwhile, in Israel, some recently reopened schools have shut again after cases of COVID-19 were reported among some staff and students.

Within the home, studies have suggested adults rather than children are more often the first to get sick in a family. But kids may not be any less susceptible to infection, according to a study in Shenzhen, China of 391 COVID-19 cases and 1,286 close contacts. Children under the age of 10 were as likely to be infected as adults, the researchers reported April 27 in the Lancet Infectious Diseases.
        So it's safe for kids to play ... but who is paying the bills? Adults!!! :)

Comment

Herd is closer then you think.
          Research t-cell immunity. Some estimates indicated 60% have t-cell immunity
          Then add in another 15% who got it, puts us in the 75% range.

https://jamesfetzer.org/2020/06/swis...bout-covid-19/

Comment

Why were the Match Fit coaches not wearing masks at there so called socially distant practices? That is not following state guidelines for reopening.

Comment

Probably maintained 6 feet distance. It’s ok.

Why were the Match Fit coaches not wearing masks at there so called socially distant practices? That is not following state guidelines for reopening.

Comment

In there own protocols that Match Fit issued it stated that all coaches would be wearing masks.
                Just like everything else out of match fit it was a lie!!!!

Comment

money money money

The main reason for rushing back for soccer this summer is so the clubs can say your child received their spring training...We paid for spring soccer not summer soccer. Clubs are trying to pack the summer with games, tourneys and trainings only to appease the parents. There is no reason for children in grammar and middle school to be playing this summer. First soccer is not a fun sport in 100 degree heat, humidity and especially on turf where it gets even hotter. Remember all the bitching about the heat for world cup players? No one cares about impact of covid...just want to validate the little or no money credited for cancelled spring.

Second, why rush back for high schoolers when soccer season starts just around corner...you guessed it money money money.

Also if all kids on top clubs need to play this summer to appease coaches, when is the off season? Top clubs already want you to play winter leagues, futsal and the one season where you can play basketball if it doesn't interfere with all your soccer winter commitments.

If clubs and edp really cared about health risks they would say let's monitor situation do some socially distant training or possibly contact scrimmage within team. I am naive enough to think the kids/families on my kid's team will do the right thing, but I wouldn't vouch for opposing clubs and they probably feel the same about us. EDP should tell us to forget summer games and hopefully be back on field in September.

Comment

The main reason for rushing back for soccer this summer is so the clubs can say your child received their spring training...We paid for spring soccer not summer soccer. Clubs are trying to pack the summer with games, tourneys and trainings only to appease the parents. There is no reason for children in grammar and middle school to be playing this summer. First soccer is not a fun sport in 100 degree heat, humidity and especially on turf where it gets even hotter. Remember all the bitching about the heat for world cup players? No one cares about impact of covid...just want to validate the little or no money credited for cancelled spring.

Second, why rush back for high schoolers when soccer season starts just around corner...you guessed it money money money.

Also if all kids on top clubs need to play this summer to appease coaches, when is the off season? Top clubs already want you to play winter leagues, futsal and the one season where you can play basketball if it doesn't interfere with all your soccer winter commitments.

If clubs and edp really cared about health risks they would say let's monitor situation do some socially distant training or possibly contact scrimmage within team. I am naive enough to think the kids/families on my kid's team will do the right thing, but I wouldn't vouch for opposing clubs and they probably feel the same about us. EDP should tell us to forget summer games and hopefully be back on field in September.
                    We do need to monitor the situation, and it’s been 4 months. Here’s what we know:
                    1) New, nasty virus, very contagious (asymptomatic or symptomatic), with long 2-3 week recovery period (still contagious)
                    2) Most dangerous to over 65 population, and in rare cases, has caused severe clotting and immunological effects in ~ 200 children under age 18
                    3) ~ 80% of deaths in 65 and older population. Let’s break this down, according to CDC, which has analyzed 107,000 of the deaths, over 86,000 deaths were in people aged 65 or older.
                    This means fewer than 21,000 deaths in under 65 age group.
                    4) No cure, a treatment called remdesivir is available by iv and reduces the hospital duration by 4 days. Studies are ongoing to learn if RDV can be administered earlier.
                    5) No vaccine, and in all likelihood, a vaccine may not be available until 2021
                    Take home message:
                    While dangerous and nasty, for people without underlying health issues or the younger than 65 age group, practice social distancing and good hygiene.
                    Be open and quarantine if exposed to people with known case of coronavirus, return to work or play, gradually.
                    Here’s the CDC link:
                    https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisiona...nd-S/9bhg-hcku

Comment

Now they’re saying there may be an unknown long-term health risk to kids who test positive for COVID. Hopefully that’s not the case.

Comment

Now they’re saying there may be an unknown long-term health risk to kids who test positive for COVID. Hopefully that’s not the case.
                        Everyday they come out with some new cause for concern with covid-19. New numbers showing bad things and that the world is ending. What ever happened to that thing with kids getting covid-19 and then developing that rare lung condition that was plastered all over the news a month ago?

Comment

Please stop with your fear mongering. The kids 18-25 who are testing positive are a symptomatic.

Comment

Unfortunately, with a new virus no one really knows. I read an article where they believe a subset of asymptomatic people are stroking out suddenly due to unnoticed clotting of their blood. Only time will tell I guess.

Please stop with your fear mongering. The kids 18-25 who are testing positive are a symptomatic.

Comment

I saw same article. I think we’re going to see an increase in sudden strokes and aneurysms due to this thing going forward. Hopefully vaccine soon. The way this thing is spreading it doesn’t look good.

Unfortunately, with a new virus no one really knows. I read an article where they believe a subset of asymptomatic people are stroking out suddenly due to unnoticed clotting of their blood. Only time will tell I guess.

Comment

I think there’s 30-35 kids infected with it in NJ if I’m not mistaken.

Everyday they come out with some new cause for concern with covid-19. New numbers showing bad things and that the world is ending. What ever happened to that thing with kids getting covid-19 and then developing that rare lung condition that was plastered all over the news a month ago?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X