Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    In youth soccer the aggressive player is revered especially girls at a younger age. When you think about it makes sense, If coaches want to win now and develop, it makes sense having the most aggressive players on the pitch, especially at the younger ages, where the pitch is small for 9v9 play. Most of the respected coaches that I know find a proper balance, After all some girls are just naturally more aggressive from birth and some grow into much more aggressive players during puberty and some maintain a lower level aggression throughout their youth soccer career.
    A very well respected coach from the highest level of NJ youth soccer said it best;
    "Controlled Aggression in a player is like gasoline in a car. Every car needs it, but now I want to know what kind of car is she driving? Is it a ferrari or a pick up truck". Coaches assume aggression in the better players but they look for IQ, skill, speed, and leadership as they get older by U14-u15 u16. The right combination and the right car determines the competency of the player. At some of the Redbulls showcase team tryouts they often had small sided scrimmages without a net on either side just to see how the girls played the game without being able to score. Simple idea but vey effective because the girls concentrated on movement ,with and without the ball, and IQ rather than trying to score.They simply went from touch line to touch line.

So Aggression early always stands out but quickly fades to the background of gasoline in the car-you are expected to have it. As the girls get older.,Those other qualities mentioned determine what kind of car she is driving.

That has been my own experience as I have watched my older daughter's peer group rise and Fall in quality as they have gotten older. Some you would have never expected ,made it to some of the most prestigious soccer programs in the country.

I hope this helps you

Soccer Nut
    This is a fantastic post. You see this early on through u12. Kids that are more aggressive seem to overtake the more technical kids due to field size in many scenarios, and coaches love it. That balance with soccer IQ with the other qualities you mentioned make more sense the older they get. Very well done post.

Comment

This is a fantastic post. You see this early on through u12. Kids that are more aggressive seem to overtake the more technical kids due to field size in many scenarios, and coaches love it. That balance with soccer IQ with the other qualities you mentioned make more sense the older they get. Very well done post.
      Soccer Nut,

Does kick and run reflect more on the quality of coaching or the quality of players or both? Put another way, if you see a team playing kick and run in a very competitive division or league, what would be your takeaway of that team? Are there circumstances that justify playing kick and run at a very high level of competition?

Comment

Soccer Nut,

Does kick and run reflect more on the quality of coaching or the quality of players or both? Put another way, if you see a team playing kick and run in a very competitive division or league, what would be your takeaway of that team? Are there circumstances that justify playing kick and run at a very high level of competition?
        Not super complicated. Watch how Pep coaches when he plays against a high press versus a team that sits back. Simeone rarely presses but will press aggressively when playing a team with a weaker back line. Klopp has changed his pressing philosophy based on personnel changes on the team which could flip back quickly if Alexander-Arnold or Robertson were hurt. The best coaches in the world change tactics based on the competition and their own personnel. Pep, Klopp, Simeone, Sarri, Conte etc.

Comment

Soccer Nut,

In my experience the answer to your question depends on the age group and you should not confuse a technical team that changes strategy and plays a more a direct TECHNICAL style with a u12 team's shortcuts perpetuated by a coach looking to win a state cup game.. The u12 team who simply sends the ball forward in the games that they play to win but can't change back to a very technical non direct style of play when warranted is not the same as a technical team that changes their style of play because of the competition's high press. The former u12 team has been cheated out of development, they only know one way of playing and the coach for that team has decided to shortcut their individual development for the win and glory that comes along with having a winning team at u12. How do you know that they only know one way to playing? Easy ,They never change back to a less direct style when the competition warrants it .

First comes teaching the technical non direct style which demands teaching the kids proper technique of getting out of pressure and the understanding of angles, movement and off the ball support. In order to play this way a coach cannot shortcut their training sessions. After he is assured the kids are proficient in a technical non direct style, then comes strategy and tactics, so , older teams may change their game plan for a particular team to a more direct style of play.

I have very rarely seen a team be able to change styles of play at u13 effectively, so, usually what you see at this age is one team that is less technical playing over the top against a team that plays more indirect. And the athletic ability of the more direct teams usually will dictate the win.

That has been my experience, so I am very mindful in choosing a coach that plays too direct at this age group, i personally prefer a team that is trying to work their way out of pressure. Even when the losses are hard to take sometimes.

This is what I have chosen for my little one

Remember, also that coaches will hide behind losses and blame it on the fact that their team is more technical, when in fact, his team is not really more technical and he is just telling parents this to buy him time so that the parents do not run from a losing situation. His job is to keep you there, even if he is an inferior trainer.

I hope this helps you

Soccer Nut

Comment

Red Bull’s 08 girls are fantastic

Comment

In my experience the answer to your question depends on the age group and you should not confuse a technical team that changes strategy and plays a more a direct TECHNICAL style with a u12 team's shortcuts perpetuated by a coach looking to win a state cup game.. The u12 team who simply sends the ball forward in the games that they play to win but can't change back to a very technical non direct style of play when warranted is not the same as a technical team that changes their style of play because of the competition's high press. The former u12 team has been cheated out of development, they only know one way of playing and the coach for that team has decided to shortcut their individual development for the win and glory that comes along with having a winning team at u12. How do you know that they only know one way to playing? Easy ,They never change back to a less direct style when the competition warrants it .

First comes teaching the technical non direct style which demands teaching the kids proper technique of getting out of pressure and the understanding of angles, movement and off the ball support. In order to play this way a coach cannot shortcut their training sessions. After he is assured the kids are proficient in a technical non direct style, then comes strategy and tactics, so , older teams may change their game plan for a particular team to a more direct style of play.

I have very rarely seen a team be able to change styles of play at u13 effectively, so, usually what you see at this age is one team that is less technical playing over the top against a team that plays more indirect. And the athletic ability of the more direct teams usually will dictate the win.

That has been my experience, so I am very mindful in choosing a coach that plays too direct at this age group, i personally prefer a team that is trying to work their way out of pressure. Even when the losses are hard to take sometimes.

This is what I have chosen for my little one

Remember, also that coaches will hide behind losses and blame it on the fact that their team is more technical, when in fact, his team is not really more technical and he is just telling parents this to buy him time so that the parents do not run from a losing situation. His job is to keep you there, even if he is an inferior trainer.

I hope this helps you

Soccer Nut

It’s really unfortunate that 95% of the parents don’t appreciate your analysis while in an overall losing environment, especially at the younger ages. Winning and stupid rankings mask everything until they get to an older age when it becomes more tactical. It’s tough but when you see a team play the right way, it’s a thing of beauty. I always felt bad for good athletic or up and coming goalies who are told to just punt the ball rather than develop a Swiss Army knife of skills/tactics to switch up levels.

Comment

It’s really unfortunate that 95% of the parents don’t appreciate your analysis while in an overall losing environment, especially at the younger ages. Winning and stupid rankings mask everything until they get to an older age when it becomes more tactical. It’s tough but when you see a team play the right way, it’s a thing of beauty. I always felt bad for good athletic or up and coming goalies who are told to just punt the ball rather than develop a Swiss Army knife of skills/tactics to switch up levels.
                Unfortuneltly, I have made lotsa errors in choosing environments for my first daughter going through the NJ soccer system. My friendship with some high level coaches, combined with some youth soccer investments have given me a pretty good look behind the curtain. And it is not a pretty look. I hope parents are educated enough to make the right choices for their daughters. We really are at a disadvantage in this state in having enough trainers that really know how to teach the game of soccer. But all coaches are experts in knowing how to collect a paycheck.

Good Luck

Soccer Nut

Comment

Soccer Nut - Do you coach or have preferred coaches, clubs or leagues?

Comment

Soccer Nut - Do you coach or have preferred coaches, clubs or leagues?

I do not coach. I love the game. I have played the game at a reasonably good level. I am now too old. I have two older daughters and one younger daughter that love the game. Two play at good programs in college currently. One starts and one does not start and gets limited playing time. The non starter is at a prestigious program. The starter is at a good academic program. I have one more child to get through the system. I am just a parent that has had a good look inside and outside the system. I hope I can help.

I am hesitant to name coaches willy nilly, that seems to become a ******* match on these boards, but if you know of one or a program, I can tell you my experience.

Soccer Nut

Comment

Red Bull’s 08 girls are fantastic
                      Lol seriously they can’t play in any type of average edp league let alone GA or ECNL that’s the best joke I’ve heard all weekend.

Side note: they have a team?

Comment

Lol seriously they can’t play in any type of average edp league let alone GA or ECNL that’s the best joke I’ve heard all weekend.

Side note: they have a team?
                        It was a troll. Everybody knows the program is over.

Comment

I do not coach. I love the game. I have played the game at a reasonably good level. I am now too old. I have two older daughters and one younger daughter that love the game. Two play at good programs in college currently. One starts and one does not start and gets limited playing time. The non starter is at a prestigious program. The starter is at a good academic program. I have one more child to get through the system. I am just a parent that has had a good look inside and outside the system. I hope I can help.

I am hesitant to name coaches willy nilly, that seems to become a ******* match on these boards, but if you know of one or a program, I can tell you my experience.

Soccer Nut
                          We are in SJ and the ECNL, USYS, GA mess is really starting to hurt my head.

Comment

Is there some team or club or coach you are considering? Has your daughter been playing at a high athletic level?

Soccer Nut

Comment

I would just look at them as equal leagues at this point. Go with best situation

Soccer Guru

Comment

It was a troll. Everybody knows the program is over.
                                Someone tell Red Bulls that...I heard they are trying to revive things with a new crop of parents and are forming an 09 team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X