Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timbers' FO - revisit

I've been increasingly frustrated with the Timbers FO over the last 9 months, especially since the twitter blow-up after the Champions League elimination, its interaction with the youth soccer community and the Timbers on field results.

However, came across an historical piece that I really liked:

July 9th, 2012 Press Conference Announcing Spencer's Fire. I actually had never seen this whole video (July 9th was a particularly bad day in my own professional life) and I thought there were a number of good things in it:

-MP was well-spoken, sincere, demonstrated an historical appreciation of sports, and thoughtful about the decision.
    -Both MP/GW took tremendous pains to be respectful of Spencer on a bad day.

Came across this as there was some discussion on the Stumptownfooty board about Spencer (he was recently on Chelsea TV) and some references to what some perceived as a hatchet job on Spencer that ran on MLSSoccer early in 2013 (here).

Not a big fan of the article, but did like the original press conference.
    Last edited by Slow Xavi; 06-11-2015, 02:03 PM.

Well.......

Originally posted by Slow Xavi View Post
    I've been increasingly frustrated with the Timbers FO over the last 9 months, especially since the twitter blow-up after the Champions League elimination, its interaction with the youth soccer community and the Timbers on field results.

However, came across an historical piece that I really liked:

July 9th, 2012 Press Conference Announcing Spencer's Fire. I actually had never seen this whole video (July 9th was a particularly bad day in my own professional life) and I thought there were a number of good things in it:

-MP was well-spoken, sincere, demonstrated an historical appreciation of sports, and thoughtful about the decision.
    -Both MP/GW took tremendous pains to be respectful of Spencer on a bad day.

Came across this as there was some discussion on the Stumptownfooty board about Spencer (he was recently on Chelsea TV) and some references to what some perceived as a hatchet job on Spencer that ran on MLSSoccer early in 2013 (here).

Not a big fan of the article, but did like the original press conference.
    ....somebody had to go, and unfortunately for Spencer, he displayed some real ineptitude during his substitutions, and especially not understanding his personal. And there is a very, very long list. Wallace as a defender was one of his worst as Wallace couldn't defender anything from that position and was regularly taken advantage of. Not seeing during practice what an great midfielder he is of course is another.

Passing on McCarty, who was responsible for that one?

And of course the obvious and last hurrah, Kris Boyd.

So.....many.....other head scratchers.

As far as satisfaction of the FO, trolling around the second division in South America leaves alot to be desired. Lots of great potential players in the 2nd and 3rd Bundesliga and Ligue 2. At least they're system players and you have a much better idea of what you'll get, then fishing in the land of *manana*.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      ....somebody had to go, and unfortunately for Spencer, he displayed some real ineptitude during his substitutions, and especially not understanding his personal. And there is a very, very long list. Wallace as a defender was one of his worst as Wallace couldn't defender anything from that position and was regularly taken advantage of. Not seeing during practice what an great midfielder he is of course is another.

Yep, someone had to go. There are still some that think GW should have gone with Spencer, owner didn't which is all that matters. Agreed Wallace was misplaced in the back, although 2013 looks like a peak year for him as he has not returned to that level of play imo.

....******
      Passing on McCarty, who was responsible for that one?

And of course the obvious and last hurrah, Kris Boyd.

So.....many.....other head scratchers.

do not know who was responsible for McCarty; Boyd score a lot of goals the season after he left the Timbers (as did Cooper). It is a bit of a mystery who owns those decisions or the miss on Ibarra (MP says it was Spencer).

....******
      As far as satisfaction of the FO, trolling around the second division in South America leaves alot to be desired. Lots of great potential players in the 2nd and 3rd Bundesliga and Ligue 2. At least they're system players and you have a much better idea of what you'll get, then fishing in the land of *manana*.
      Don't know, the European champs started 5 from what you call the "land of *manana*". Salt Lake and now Vancouver have done well finding players south of Mexico. Have seen some commentary on even European players (League 1 and La Liga) struggling with MLS's physical play and lack of soccer IQ, so not sure Ligue 2 is inherently a better an option than Buenos Aires.

At a more fundamental level, the Timbers and the MLS are stingy on player spend; limits your options whether you are looking in Latin America or Europe.

My point with the post is that I have been critical of the Timbers' FO in recent months for various reasons; came across a piece of history where they handled themselves well on a tough day.

Comment

http://www.timbers.com/news/2015/06/...rian-team-year

Comment

The Timbers will continue to struggle until they get rid of that wanker GW.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X