• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 on 4 Beaverton Cup

Anybody go to this? How was it?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Anybody go to this? How was it?
    Ok. Mostly Pcu and Ws teams. So most brackets were WS top teams competing against PCU. Which are two different levels. Nice weekend though.

Comment

sure wish who ever plans these things would chat with either other, there were 3 other small sided (3v3) tournaments this weekend.

Comment

I really like this tournament, my kids have played in it multiple years and always enjoyed it. Personally, the 4v4 is a much better format than 3v3, you can commit 3 to offense and create some passing triangles without leaving your back totally exposed. While still fun, if you commit 3 forward, 3v3 seems to be fastbreak after fastbreak, if you hold one back, it's much harder to support the ball. Yes, it would be nice if they spaced these a bit more as they are great options for teams in the summer when numbers are harder to organize due to families traveling. BSC is hosting a 3v3 this weekend, I believe it's affiliated with a national tourney, so there are regionals and nationals to move onto.

Agreed, it is too heavy in PCU and Westside teams, but it is their tourney and it's nice to have full brackets. I wish other clubs would enter and make it more well rounded with better competition, esp on the girls side. Girls side is mostly PCU and that isn't very pretty soccer to watch, esp in small sided.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          I really like this tournament, my kids have played in it multiple years and always enjoyed it. Personally, the 4v4 is a much better format than 3v3, you can commit 3 to offense and create some passing triangles without leaving your back totally exposed. While still fun, if you commit 3 forward, 3v3 seems to be fastbreak after fastbreak, if you hold one back, it's much harder to support the ball. Yes, it would be nice if they spaced these a bit more as they are great options for teams in the summer when numbers are harder to organize due to families traveling. BSC is hosting a 3v3 this weekend, I believe it's affiliated with a national tourney, so there are regionals and nationals to move onto.

Agreed, it is too heavy in PCU and Westside teams, but it is their tourney and it's nice to have full brackets. I wish other clubs would enter and make it more well rounded with better competition, esp on the girls side. Girls side is mostly PCU and that isn't very pretty soccer to watch, esp in small sided.
          Interesting analysis on 4 v 4 vs 3 v 3. My kid did the 4 v 4 this weekend and enjoyed it as well. Sorta stress free, fun. Different than the usual. It seems that a 3 v 3 could be equally interesting but the players would need to be very good at interchanging positions at all times to keep the triangle and still not give up the fast break. A lot of rotation, knowing who has back.

Comment

As I'm sure there are DOCs or Club Directors on this site, I'd be curious to know, why don't some of the larger Portland clubs participate in this tourney? It looks like 90% WST and PCU. There were one or two single teams from some other clubs but very, very few. It seems like the perfect venue for a available kids to get together and play, competitive small sided soccer at a very reasonable cost, on nice fields at, no club coach even needed, lots of teams seem to be parent/volunteer coached.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X