Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Most boys never get anywhere near even seeing ballet, much less trying it & deciding not to do it because it is "too hard". Right or wrong, most boys consider ballet strictly for girls. Our popular sports for athletic boys in this country are football, baseball & basketball. Soccer is definitely hugely popular among all the younger kids but most of our best male athletes choose the traditional powerhouse boys sports as they get older. My young son and his friends play all the sports now but only one of the boys wants to be a pro soccer player when he grows up (he is tiny but very gifted in soccer). All the other boys talk about playing football, baseball and/or basketball when they're older and if they could go "pro".
    Let's be honest, baseball is boring and doesn't take that much athleticism. Soccer has caught up and passed baseball, and gaining even more momentum.

Football is struggling right now with all the horrific publicity on concussions and early dementia from slugging it out on each and every play. Every play, the brain rocks and shuffles. Parents are very much questioning the game, as well they should be. And with football, it doesn't take much to make the team. If you try out, you will be on the team... all the way through HS. Some players are great athletes, and then there are a large percentage that are not. Youth football is on the decline. Although we Americans love our NFL! Including me.

Basketball, great sport. But only 1 out of 10,000,000 will go pro. Only 5 players get much time on the court. Only 12 or so make the team. Sport is stable, maybe slightly growing but mostly flat.

More and more boys are playing soccer, and sticking with soccer. It's on the rise. While many will argue against it, these days, some of the best athletes are soccer players, especially at the Premier A level... and also most Varsity HS programs. Don't get me wrong, there are top athletes that will never play soccer, or they would be better. But that can now be said the other way around too. At our HS, the football team would be a heckuva lot better if some of the soccer players would have played football. And I'm talking at the skill positions where speed and athleticism are required.

Ok, time to flame me!

Comment

Let's be honest, baseball is boring and doesn't take that much athleticism. Soccer has caught up and passed baseball, and gaining even more momentum.

Football is struggling right now with all the horrific publicity on concussions and early dementia from slugging it out on each and every play. Every play, the brain rocks and shuffles. Parents are very much questioning the game, as well they should be. And with football, it doesn't take much to make the team. If you try out, you will be on the team... all the way through HS. Some players are great athletes, and then there are a large percentage that are not. Youth football is on the decline. Although we Americans love our NFL! Including me.

Basketball, great sport. But only 1 out of 10,000,000 will go pro. Only 5 players get much time on the court. Only 12 or so make the team. Sport is stable, maybe slightly growing but mostly flat.

More and more boys are playing soccer, and sticking with soccer. It's on the rise. While many will argue against it, these days, some of the best athletes are soccer players, especially at the Premier A level... and also most Varsity HS programs. Don't get me wrong, there are top athletes that will never play soccer, or they would be better. But that can now be said the other way around too. At our HS, the football team would be a heckuva lot better if some of the soccer players would have played football. And I'm talking at the skill positions where speed and athleticism are required.

Ok, time to flame me!
      Spot on.

I agree, baseball sucks. Organized boredom.

Football, bad PR.

Basketball, if you're not going to be 6'6" then forget it.

Comment

Don't have a son in ballet. I don't think he would last. Since you think it's so easy, go take a class sometime. You wouldn't make it 10 minutes. But then again, your glory days were back when you were in 5th grade when you were bigger than everyone and therefore were the star in all the sports. Your dad went around and bragged to everyone about how you would go to college in sports. Too bad everyone else caught up and passed you and by 11th grade, you had quit everything.
        Maybe your son will stop doing ballet and soccer when he reaches puberty in the 11th grade like you did.

Comment

Spot on.

I agree, baseball sucks. Organized boredom.

Football, bad PR.

Basketball, if you're not going to be 6'6" then forget it.
          How many people will watch the college world series vs. the men's soccer college cup?

Curry is 6'3"

Football is bad PR, but what are most HS kids doing Friday nights during the fall. Ever been to a HS boy's soccer game?

Comment

How many people will watch the college world series vs. the men's soccer college cup?

Curry is 6'3"

Football is bad PR, but what are most HS kids doing Friday nights during the fall. Ever been to a HS boy's soccer game?
            How many people watch the World Cup vs. Any Other Sporting Event in the World including the Olympics?

6'3" is still really tall. Like the coach said, "you can't coach height." It's the sport most dependent upon a single physical characteristic that an athlete has no control over.

Most HS kids aren't watching HS football on Friday nights anymore -- at least not in this part of the country. It's not like it used to be and becoming less so every year. Sort of sad actually.

Comment

Curry is 6'3"

Curry also shoots better than about any player in the NBA. And he's lightening quick. Trust me, if your son can shoot like Curry or is as quick as he is then he's got a shot. Otherwise he better be 6'6" or taller.

Comment

Maybe your son will stop doing ballet and soccer when he reaches puberty in the 11th grade like you did.
                No, ballet is too difficult for him and would have been for me too. No, I just give credit where credit is due and those guys work harder and are tons stronger than any soccer or basketball or football player. Too bad you can't see facts for what they are. But I can see why trailer park trash like you and the Mrs have a hard time understanding this.

Comment

No, ballet is too difficult for him and would have been for me too. No, I just give credit where credit is due and those guys work harder and are tons stronger than any soccer or basketball or football player. Too bad you can't see facts for what they are. But I can see why trailer park trash like you and the Mrs have a hard time understanding this.
                  Sadly predictable. First an incendiary comment is made about dads being glad there son is doing soccer instead of ballet...which they couldn't do anyways...and then when called out as the BS comment it is suddenly the poster becomes all "reasonable" and "doesn't understand" why people don't get it.

It is sad that you spend more time trying to "play" people than actually communicating with them. Sadly that is how most of this board "communicates". No wonder Oregon Soccer has so many problems.

Comment

How many people watch the World Cup vs. Any Other Sporting Event in the World including the Olympics?

6'3" is still really tall. Like the coach said, "you can't coach height." It's the sport most dependent upon a single physical characteristic that an athlete has no control over.

Most HS kids aren't watching HS football on Friday nights anymore -- at least not in this part of the country. It's not like it used to be and becoming less so every year. Sort of sad actually.
                    We are talking about the United States here. If you are talking about the rest of the world, then the top male athletes go into soccer. There is no argument there.

Pretty funny that you make that comment about High School football. I went to a few games last year and it looked pretty crowded to me. At least it was for Metro League games.

The argument is not the world wide popularity of soccer. It is that in the US it is mostly for the boys with more of a feminine side once you get into HS.

Comment

Did I hurt your feelings?

Comment

Ok, time to flame me!
                        The reason that this forum attracts lunatic girls parents is simple: it's the ONLY team sport that hands out scholarships to white girls. So they come on here to talk smack.

I wish girls had other sports so half the idioot parents could go appeshiite over there.

Comment

We are talking about the United States here. If you are talking about the rest of the world, then the top male athletes go into soccer. There is no argument there.

Pretty funny that you make that comment about High School football. I went to a few games last year and it looked pretty crowded to me. At least it was for Metro League games.

The argument is not the world wide popularity of soccer. It is that in the US it is mostly for the boys with more of a feminine side once you get into HS.
                          You haven't been to HS soccer game lately. Freaking hard core, testosterone, vicious as times. The football team wishes they had the soccer players... to improve all the skill positions on the football team.

Comment

You haven't been to HS soccer game lately. Freaking hard core, testosterone, vicious as times. The football team wishes they had the soccer players... to improve all the skill positions on the football team.
                            Yes, I heard they were looking for soccer players and ballerinas.

Comment

The reason that this forum attracts lunatic girls parents is simple: it's the ONLY team sport that hands out scholarships to white girls. So they come on here to talk smack.

I wish girls had other sports so half the idioot parents could go appeshiite over there.
                              Girls do have other sports: Volleyball, Track, Swimming, etc...

Ever wonder why Men's football get 85 scholarships vs. less than 10 for men's soccer?

Soccer is all girls once you get to High School in the US. This includes the High School boy's teams.

Comment

Curry also shoots better than about any player in the NBA. And he's lightening quick. Trust me, if your son can shoot like Curry or is as quick as he is then he's got a shot. Otherwise he better be 6'6" or taller.
                                Trust me, if your soccer player son was any more feminine, he would be your daughter.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X