Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Opposite of what DA prescribes - only play other DA teams unless approved by USSF. They don't want to shatter the illusion of superiority when a non DA teams beast a DA team.
    I know dat's tru! ECNL too.

Comment

Opposite of what DA prescribes - only play other DA teams unless approved by USSF. They don't want to shatter the illusion of superiority when a non DA teams beast a DA team.
      Please explain. Teams lose all the time. Even the very best. UCLA lost last night to an unranked tem. Does that shatter the illusion of superiority ?

Comment

At the younger ages, ball handling and footwork needs to be much more of a focus. I think Everton America, JA Elite and Sebastian at Next level Soccer all do a great job.
        Sebastian is a Revolution United coach. My son is in this program, the club is doing much better since the new owner took over. He wants his coaches to focus more in foot skills training and to have the players use the moves in the games vs winning the game.

Comment

Please explain. Teams lose all the time. Even the very best. UCLA lost last night to an unranked tem. Does that shatter the illusion of superiority ?
          Parent's aren't paying large sums of money for their kids to play at UCLA (well, they are, but it's not for the soccer). Parents are paying large sums of money to be in "the best" league (ECNL, DA). Clubs say that to justify the cost and travel and in the case of DA giving up HS sports. Then if they are beaten by a "lower level" team, especially one that's local and doesn't cost as much? Poof! Not so great any more are they?

BS, FSA and OW started the trend several years ago to move out of state into regional leagues, reasoning it's for better competition (partly true but not entirely). Now many CT clubs never play each other and everyone is racking up miles on their cars for "better competition." If cracks start appearing in the veneer parent start to question what it is they're doing. That's bad for clubs.

not the poster

Comment

No, they don't want teams chasing Got soccer points clubs claiming to be the #1 U10 team in the universe. Also clubs like CFC do lots of friendlies (saves money) can drag a huge roster to two games every weekend. Quality over quantity.

Comment

Parent's aren't paying large sums of money for their kids to play at UCLA (well, they are, but it's not for the soccer). Parents are paying large sums of money to be in "the best" league (ECNL, DA). Clubs say that to justify the cost and travel and in the case of DA giving up HS sports. Then if they are beaten by a "lower level" team, especially one that's local and doesn't cost as much? Poof! Not so great any more are they?

BS, FSA and OW started the trend several years ago to move out of state into regional leagues, reasoning it's for better competition (partly true but not entirely). Now many CT clubs never play each other and everyone is racking up miles on their cars for "better competition." If cracks start appearing in the veneer parent start to question what it is they're doing. That's bad for clubs.

not the poster
              Could not disagree more. Maybe thats the problem. I am paying for my child to improve and prepare for College. I dont like the travel or the cost, but all the leagues do it and GDA is the cheapest for us. I dont care if we lose to another team. none onf these games mean anything iin the context of her aspirations other than playing well, staying healthy and improving.

If a Club is trying to sell its quality based on results, I dont know why any consumer would buy in to it.

Comment

Could not disagree more. Maybe thats the problem. I am paying for my child to improve and prepare for College. I dont like the travel or the cost, but all the leagues do it and GDA is the cheapest for us. I dont care if we lose to another team. none onf these games mean anything iin the context of her aspirations other than playing well, staying healthy and improving.

If a Club is trying to sell its quality based on results, I dont know why any consumer would buy in to it.
                Seems like hundreds of parents do buy into each and every year. And if you don't think parents care you must not be talking to many of them on the sidelines. You are an exception (well, me too but I understand the market reality as well). Results shouldn't matter but they do. They matter to clubs - it feeds coach egos but more more importantly gives them nice W/L records which attracts more talent and checks. It's a business. Never forget that

Comment

Honest question. Is there any club/coach in the state that actually cares about player development, or are they all just about the bottom line?
                  None of them do. It's a business. Parents are sold on the idea of their kids getting scholarships and going pro. It's ridiculous when you really think about it.

Comment

Honest question. Is there any club/coach in the state that actually cares about player development, or are they all just about the bottom line?
                    Well the " bottom line " is important, because this is America , the land of Economic Freedom. Without an emphasis on the bottom line, there is more of a chance of stagnation and status quo.

That being said, Clubs and Coaches for the most part create the environment for development, but first and foremost, development rests on the shoulders of the individual, that being the child.

In essence, that isn't much different than any other child activity in today's world. A music teacher will not always have another Mozart emerge. The Dance School may not put a child into stage and screen. The Gymnast may never make the Olympic team. That's not to say that the child should not partake in those endeavors , as true development is an ongoing process and journey, not a destination. You will never know the potential of your child unless they immerse themselves wholeheartedly with your support.

In my opinion, parents that seek the destination concept of development are missing the big picture. Being involved in the development process is the best part about the endeavor. As long as the activity is not mentally or physically harmful or life draining rather that life enriching , there can not be any lost ground for the child.

Comment

None of them do. It's a business. Parents are sold on the idea of their kids getting scholarships and going pro. It's ridiculous when you really think about it.
                      I feel sorry for you
                      After my oldest i went coach first always and have had a great experience
                      Even went to clubs that TS ridiculed- it all paid off

Comment

No, they don't want teams chasing Got soccer points clubs claiming to be the #1 U10 team in the universe. Also clubs like CFC do lots of friendlies (saves money) can drag a huge roster to two games every weekend. Quality over quantity.
                        Thats easy for GDA and ECNL they close their tourneys
                        Tried to manipulate the college looks- it didnt work
                        But for NPL and premier they have to chase points to get into the big tourneys and get looks
                        Its harder but doable

Comment

What's so ridiculous? Just about every ECNL player gets scholarships ranging from 10% to a full ride.

Comment

My daughter's club is only about hyping and riding the coat tails of it's few star players. Even after they've committed to D1 schools, the club plays them 100% of the game (including showcase tournaments) instead of giving playing time to other players who are still trying to get looked at. Practices are mainly scrimmages with little focus on skill development. My daughter stays because it's too late to change clubs. Shouldn't a club want to help all of it's players reach their goals or only a couple that they can hype on their website?
                            To be fair, those players pay the same money that your kid does, and deserve to play whether they are committed or not. Not to mention, there is an obligation to try and win games as well. The better a team is, the more coaches that show up to watch. There are a few factors that you seem to be missing with your blinders on.

Comment

To be fair, those players pay the same money that your kid does, and deserve to play whether they are committed or not. Not to mention, there is an obligation to try and win games as well. The better a team is, the more coaches that show up to watch. There are a few factors that you seem to be missing with your blinders on.
                              and since this happens mostly at older ages -if you have enough kids, the scholarship players will elect not to go. they will bring up younger players so that they can also get looks
                              this happens regularly

Comment

Find those that care. Period. Stop. Pretty simple recipe. We have a daddy coach. Top notch. Played d1. Kid on team. Goes extra mile. He cares. His kid gets no special treatment

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X