Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What club actually cares about development

Honest question. Is there any club/coach in the state that actually cares about player development, or are they all just about the bottom line?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Honest question. Is there any club/coach in the state that actually cares about player development, or are they all just about the bottom line?
    I know of a few. Dedicated guys that have been around a long time. I won't out their club, but none better IMHO. There are still good people in this business. They go the extra mile, first to show up, last to leave... and have a really good idea on marrying the technical to the tactical. If you dig around these coaches exist. They aren't at a big three club and often they will coach together or train the kids together

Comment

depends on what you want
      do you want your kid to develop to the max?
      do you want to play on a good team?
      do you want the best experience?

not all are mutually exclusive , but in most places you only get 1, maybe 2

Comment

There is no perfect answer to that question. FSA is all about the win. win first, then team then player. There are a few coaches there that are decent but very little individual attention to a player. Oakwood is probably more about player development over the win at the younger ages.

One of the best coaches my son ever experienced, had no license, no big playing experience, didn't work at the big 3 clubs, but he did wonders for my son.

Add in proximity to each club, skill level of player, commitment level from the family and player..... When you over analyze everything you will drive yourself nuts. Plus there is tremendous change in each player from 3rd grade to hi school. Enjoy the time with your kid.

Comment

I think it's more of a coach thing than a club thing. I've seen coaches from CFCU, OW, and, yes, FSA just phone it in, no lesson plans, no altering an approach if the lesson isn't going well, etc. And, I've seen a town club, daddy coach, with lesson plans, improvement plans for each of the players, including the bench, and covering costs for some of the team that were not part of the dues.

That said, town clubs seem not to care much about development, because they're just babysitting with a view to creating a few high school players, and, at the other end, FSA-like puppy mills just want to have a league badge and churn teams through the rinse cycle.

Leaving aside the fact that nothing builds a player more than the player's own self-motivation and playing outside of an adult-led soccer activity, I'd check out some of the more storied, and larger, clubs, and go check out some of their coaches, and see if there's a particular coach that seems to be doing the right thing, and go from there.

Comment

I think it's more of a coach thing than a club thing. I've seen coaches from CFCU, OW, and, yes, FSA just phone it in, no lesson plans, no altering an approach if the lesson isn't going well, etc. And, I've seen a town club, daddy coach, with lesson plans, improvement plans for each of the players, including the bench, and covering costs for some of the team that were not part of the dues.

That said, town clubs seem not to care much about development, because they're just babysitting with a view to creating a few high school players, and, at the other end, FSA-like puppy mills just want to have a league badge and churn teams through the rinse cycle.

Leaving aside the fact that nothing builds a player more than the player's own self-motivation and playing outside of an adult-led soccer activity, I'd check out some of the more storied, and larger, clubs, and go check out some of their coaches, and see if there's a particular coach that seems to be doing the right thing, and go from there.
            This describes my daughters town premier coach perfectly.

Comment

This describes my daughters town premier coach perfectly.
              my son's too - best coaching experience in any sport my kids played involved a daddy coach on a town premier team. The guy was phenomenal (he's still coaching too).

Comment

My daughter's club is only about hyping and riding the coat tails of it's few star players. Even after they've committed to D1 schools, the club plays them 100% of the game (including showcase tournaments) instead of giving playing time to other players who are still trying to get looked at. Practices are mainly scrimmages with little focus on skill development. My daughter stays because it's too late to change clubs. Shouldn't a club want to help all of it's players reach their goals or only a couple that they can hype on their website?

Comment

My daughter's club is only about hyping and riding the coat tails of it's few star players. Even after they've committed to D1 schools, the club plays them 100% of the game (including showcase tournaments) instead of giving playing time to other players who are still trying to get looked at. Practices are mainly scrimmages with little focus on skill development. My daughter stays because it's too late to change clubs. Shouldn't a club want to help all of it's players reach their goals or only a couple that they can hype on their website?
                  How much work does your daughter put in to her own game
                  How much effort has she put into her own recruiting process
                  Most kids who are recruited dont want to play in showcases too uch risk of injury- but if the tea sucks without them you will get no coaches at your games-
                  Your kid gets recruited by her efforts , her reaching out, dont blame the club for not tanking games

Comment

My experience with OW is that the bench never plays (ok, some might play 5-10 minutes) even at showcases. GDA is going to make that worse. There's no point in being player 15 on an OW roster. In fact, unless you get lucky because someone else gets a good injury, there's no point in being player 12.

Comment

At the younger ages, ball handling and footwork needs to be much more of a focus. I think Everton America, JA Elite and Sebastian at Next level Soccer all do a great job.

Comment

At the younger ages, ball handling and footwork needs to be much more of a focus. I think Everton America, JA Elite and Sebastian at Next level Soccer all do a great job.
                        Ginga does a good job at younger ages but you should move to another club at U12.

Comment

My experience with OW is that the bench never plays (ok, some might play 5-10 minutes) even at showcases. GDA is going to make that worse. There's no point in being player 15 on an OW roster. In fact, unless you get lucky because someone else gets a good injury, there's no point in being player 12.
                          When you limit games to one per week and they are all league games your bench will suffer. You need to have a mix of league games and friendlies.

Comment

When you limit games to one per week and they are all league games your bench will suffer. You need to have a mix of league games and friendlies.
                            I agree 100% ..... at least one friendly every other week otherwise the kids just go through the motions at practice against the same teammates. Nothing new ever.

Comment

I agree 100% ..... at least one friendly every other week otherwise the kids just go through the motions at practice against the same teammates. Nothing new ever.
                              Opposite of what DA prescribes - only play other DA teams unless approved by USSF. They don't want to shatter the illusion of superiority when a non DA teams beast a DA team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X