Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    12 year olds don't need to drive hundreds of miles, or travel by air, or rent cars, or stay in hotels to learn to play soccer for starters.
    What kind of car rental place rents cars to 12 year olds?

Our team is one that travels to tourneys all over. Why? Competition. Instead of playing the same teams over and over again, we'll visit a tourney somewhere and they reciprocate later. So, we are playing different -and better- teams at their tourneys and it improves ours.

Comment

Http://thesocceryoda.com/

Pay to Play – In order for developing American soccer players to join large clubs and experience the game in an organized manner plus gain experienced coaching ( more about the coaching later), parents must hand over thousands of dollars to those clubs. I do not have anything against club directors for wanting to make soccer into a full-time job. I would have loved to have been able to support my family with soccer back in my employment days. But, there are a couple problems with this setup that combine to limit the development of youth players as the clubs drive to increase income.

1) What happens to the youth whose parents cannot afford to place their kids in these programs? Some clubs have scholarships but many have no form of financial assistance and others offer only token aid. This leaves tens of thousands of potential superstars without the means to develop their game.

2) In the attempt to increase the income gained from the sport, it is common for club coaches to work with two, three or even more teams at the same time. Coaching multiple teams absolutely diminishes the personal attention needed by coaches to bring each player to his/her full potential. If a club can’t find enough coaches for a “one coach – one team” philosophy, that club could reduce it’s number of players. Of course, that would decrease the total financial income and THAT would strain the full-time adults in the club.

3) In order to attract more families, clubs adopt a win-at-all-cost-now philosophy since unknowing parents don’t understand that developing players to top levels takes time and the willingness to endure possibly poor win-loss records while the caliber of play gets better.

Comment

You forget that there are 12 year olds that are well beyond 18 year olds in vision and skill.
        Reasons a - z can continue to be trotted out to justify keeping things as is. The ones benefiting form the current situation have no incentive to change anything and will continue with their script. Just rings hollow now.

If we want to attract more talent to the game, we must institute changes to lower the barriers to playing. We are perfectly capable of demanding brute change when it suits us (remember the age change).

Comment

Our team is one that travels to tourneys all over. Why? Competition. Instead of playing the same teams over and over again, we'll visit a tourney somewhere and they reciprocate later. So, we are playing different -and better- teams at their tourneys and it improves ours.
          Leaves out a lot of players. Is that system worth excluding young players? Do successful soccer nations operate that way?

Comment

Leaves out a lot of players. Is that system worth excluding young players? Do successful soccer nations operate that way?
            Where else are we to play against quality competition? Just play games against the same teams you play over and over again?

As for other successful soccer Nations, who is as spread out as the US is that has this geographic problem? Brazil?

Comment

You forget that there are 12 year olds that are well beyond 18 year olds in vision and skill.
              Not the OP. Completely irrelevant to the point. The "But our country is so YUGE!" so travel is necessary aspect of pay-to-play for improved soccer outcomes (rather than improved profit outcomes) is shaky at best, arguably a complete sham.

PS - one of my favorite things about TS is nonsense like "You forget that..."

Comment

Where else are we to play against quality competition? Just play games against the same teams you play over and over again?

As for other successful soccer Nations, who is as spread out as the US is that has this geographic problem? Brazil?
                I guess we just hopelessly stuck with this amazing soccer system forever and ever.

Comment

Absolute club propaganda.

Comment

Absolute club propaganda.
                    That or one of those hooked in soccer travel agencies. You know - the ones that get a rate so "special" that it is higher than other available rates?

Comment

I guess we just hopelessly stuck with this amazing soccer system forever and ever.

No, er...I certainly hope not. I would like to see where top players are siphoned off from clubs and centralized in their development. Clubs woudn't like it as they would get the "just below the tops". Paying for it all...I don't have that answer.

But, as a parent, I enjoy the tournaments and I also understand that there are many who cannot participate. Even some of our own team sees the struggle. I don't have a solution to it, but I do see it.

I grew up playing different club sports so this isn't unusual to me. Hockey dragged us all over the country. It hasn't held back the development of hockey in the country.

The size and range of cultural backgrounds is unique to the US, so any "this is how the other Nations do it" means nothing.

To be clear, and I'll say it again: I don't have the answer. But, what presented here doesn't work either.

(not Club propaganda as mentioned in the next post...just a parent of a kid who will not be playing on any National-level team)

Comment

No, er...I certainly hope not. I would like to see where top players are siphoned off from clubs and centralized in their development. Clubs woudn't like it as they would get the "just below the tops". Paying for it all...I don't have that answer.

But, as a parent, I enjoy the tournaments and I also understand that there are many who cannot participate. Even some of our own team sees the struggle. I don't have a solution to it, but I do see it.

I grew up playing different club sports so this isn't unusual to me. Hockey dragged us all over the country. It hasn't held back the development of hockey in the country.

The size and range of cultural backgrounds is unique to the US, so any "this is how the other Nations do it" means nothing.

To be clear, and I'll say it again: I don't have the answer. But, what presented here doesn't work either.

(not Club propaganda as mentioned in the next post...just a parent of a kid who will not be playing on any National-level team)
                        The parents pay here so the cheaper the sport, the more parents can pay. Right now, there are few rules and the system is set to extract maximum cash out of the families. Change the rules to control that.

Comment

The parents pay here so the cheaper the sport, the more parents can pay. Right now, there are few rules and the system is set to extract maximum cash out of the families. Change the rules to control that.
                          How ?

Comment

How ?
                            Limits on travel distances permitted. Different limits for different ages.

Comment

That or one of those hooked in soccer travel agencies. You know - the ones that get a rate so "special" that it is higher than other available rates?
                              Probably a local Club Tournament Director.

That such a position exists at a club says a lot.

Comment

While the US might have unique elements in culture, geography, population relative to many other countries, "means nothing?" No.

If you want to shoot down the crowd that says simplistically, "This is what Iceland did, so let's copy them," then fine. But there is plenty to learn, adapt and deploy from other nations. Suggesting we're so "unique" that there's "nothing" has become the favorite straw man of everyone defending the status quo.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X