Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Problem is too many kids just want to make varsity for social aspect and on field fall very short.

In da at 18/19 level breakers have maybe 5 kids on waivers and stars maybe 1-2. I'd be curious to know how this looks at 16/17 and below if anyone knows. I'll bet kids will jump the HS ship, Stars anyway has a da clinic thing going November and why bother if the goal isn't to upgrade in time with the end of HS season. It's been said before but it looks like players will be pushed down the bench for defecting HS players.
    Those currently playing high school and DA didn't give up anything. Thought that wasn't allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
      Problem is too many kids just want to make varsity for social aspect and on field fall very short.

In da at 18/19 level breakers have maybe 5 kids on waivers and stars maybe 1-2. I'd be curious to know how this looks at 16/17 and below if anyone knows. I'll bet kids will jump the HS ship, Stars anyway has a da clinic thing going November and why bother if the goal isn't to upgrade in time with the end of HS season. It's been said before but it looks like players will be pushed down the bench for defecting HS players.
      Breakers has a DA clinic too. Some teams don't need them but others do.

Comment

Based on the boys experience the average HS will only lose 1-2 players if that. An odd one here or there might be a bit more. The main issue with HS is that it is no longer a venue for college recruiting and hasn't been for awhile. It still can be a place to be discovered for football, basketball, track. In soccer it's expensive pay-to-play clubs and showcases. Yes some players willingly walk away but for many it's still a very tough choice.
        Any team losing 1-2 impact players can be irreparably impaired. That's the issue.

Comment

Any team losing 1-2 impact players can be irreparably impaired. That's the issue.
          In case you haven't been reading, plenty of DA players are not impact players.

Comment

There are always going to families who play both ends against the middle because they know their player has the desired level of talent and they know teams will always make room for it. Unfortunately it will end up costing some "bubble" player their spot on the field if not the roster. It definitely sux but it's the harsh reality of the situation.

Comment

In case you haven't been reading, plenty of DA players are not impact players.
              With 2 DA and 2 ECNL teams all looking for the same level of player it waters all of them down. Eventually the ECNL parents will recognize that their league has become an expensive backwater and it will lose its allure fixing half the problem.

Comment

Maybe this is the loop hole around giving waivers; offer a post HS season fall "ID Clinic" for DA. Everyone's happy and no giving up HS for those who want to play both.

Comment

With 2 DA and 2 ECNL teams all looking for the same level of player it waters all of them down. Eventually the ECNL parents will recognize that their league has become an expensive backwater and it will lose its allure fixing half the problem.
                  or DA players decide the quality isn't worth the sacrifice. At some clubs that is the case, not at others.

Comment

These are all overpriced soccer country clubs. Just pick one that suits you if you can afford it and if not pick something less expensive.

Comment

Maybe this is the loop hole around giving waivers; offer a post HS season fall "ID Clinic" for DA. Everyone's happy and no giving up HS for those who want to play both.
                      of course clubs are using whatever loopholes they can and not rostering a player in the fall is an easy way around that. They just add them once HS is over. However, it works here where HS is in the fall. In other states HS is winter or spring. That makes the loophole less workable. In its first year some clubs had to do what it took to get it off the ground, waivers, wait-list for the roster etc. Moving forward, if GDA becomes the in-demand league clubs can tell players "too bad. give it up or no DA."

Comment

These are all overpriced soccer country clubs. Just pick one that suits you if you can afford it and if not pick something less expensive.
                        Yup. There will always be parents who more money than common sense. Sorry but if your kid isn't on the field for more than 60% of the game you are wasting your money. Doesn't matter what the league is or how much you spend for private training, the fact is your coach is telling you that your kid isn't good enough by their actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistere
                          Yup. There will always be parents who more money than common sense. Sorry but if your kid isn't on the field for more than 60% of the game you are wasting your money. Doesn't matter what the league is or how much you spend for private training, the fact is your coach is telling you that your kid isn't good enough by their actions.
                          I can think of a couple girls who are on the field because of daddy paying bills and talking sh&&. Don't kid yourselves.

Comment

I can think of a couple girls who are on the field because of daddy paying bills and talking sh&&. Don't kid yourselves.
                            True. My daughter played beside such a girl for years. Got their comeuppance come the recruiting years when no one was interested. The dad bought her way onto a college roster and complains that his daughter only plays 5-10 minutes a game.

Comment

True. My daughter played beside such a girl for years. Got their comeuppance come the recruiting years when no one was interested. The dad bought her way onto a college roster and complains that his daughter only plays 5-10 minutes a game.
                              More common than people realize.

Comment

I have a serious and honest question for GDA parents ... well at least the parents of kids playing only 15-30 minutes of an 80 minute game. Are you ok with that? Is the extra training and social aspect enough with those limited minutes enough for you in relation to the cost, time and travel you are sacrificing? I get that families with kids playing all 80 minutes are going think the GDA is awesome, but I gotta say coming in at the 60th minute of 4-0 game to play 20 minutes after traveling to Long Island, would not be ok with me (which is why we chose to not to DA), but wondering if those families think the trade-off is still worth it for you. It might be, and that's cool, but just wondering if these were your expectations going in, or was this a bad wake up call.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X