Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very few kids want to play for the USMNT

All this talk about the Developent Academy not succeeding is laughable.

I've never heard one kid say he wanted to play for the U.S. Men's National Team. They all want to play college soccer. Every once in a while you get a kid that says he wants to play professionally.

The Development Academy is doing a pretty effective job of getting players exposure to college coaches.

I'm glad to report that the DA is meeting the needs of a majority of the families involved in the system. That it's not what the die hard USMNT fans want is completely irrelevant.

Insert "My kid's driven" comment soon

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Insert "My kid's driven" comment soon
      My kid wants to drive to a nice D1 college some day soon.

Comment

All the people that complain about a dreadful feeder system for the men's team don't have a kid playing DA and being scouted. I assume their tune would change if they were benefiting from the training, competition level and scouting.

Comment

All the people that complain about a dreadful feeder system for the men's team don't have a kid playing DA and being scouted. I assume their tune would change if they were benefiting from the training, competition level and scouting.
          There's only a few unicorns in this state that applies to. The vast majority it's college and that's it. And here they're training almost always with the suboptimal club teams (the Revs are supposed to be the "top" club. Ask them how it's going with their Nt prospects). The better training at the NT level they only get occassionally. In an ideal world DA would be much smaller, focused just on the true top talent. But, with our geography and that annoyance of attending school on a regular basis ;) that's tough to pull off.

Comment

There's only a few unicorns in this state that applies to. The vast majority it's college and that's it. And here they're training almost always with the suboptimal club teams (the Revs are supposed to be the "top" club. Ask them how it's going with their Nt prospects). The better training at the NT level they only get occassionally. In an ideal world DA would be much smaller, focused just on the true top talent. But, with our geography and that annoyance of attending school on a regular basis ;) that's tough to pull off.
            Why did they kill off the U17 residential program? While far from ideal, since so few players could be included, at least there was a core group of high level players training together day in, day out for at least one semester, many for two or three semesters. If they could have expanded that to a few more age groups, and maybe four different locations across the country, then most of the very best kids would have that same intense environment in which to develop (I know, who would pay for it?). Seems they went the wrong way by killing it altogether.

Comment

Why did they kill off the U17 residential program? While far from ideal, since so few players could be included, at least there was a core group of high level players training together day in, day out for at least one semester, many for two or three semesters. If they could have expanded that to a few more age groups, and maybe four different locations across the country, then most of the very best kids would have that same intense environment in which to develop (I know, who would pay for it?). Seems they went the wrong way by killing it altogether.
              Totally agree. How much can players get out of practicing and playing games together once in awhile? It isn't how things operate internationally. Some DAs are starting residency programs but that's for club teams, not NT. I agree with above that DA would be better off being much smaller. If our geography and education are a hinderance to that happening then residency programs make a ton of sense. But, that would require USSF making the effort (using 70+ clubs is much easier) and putting in some serious cash (again, easier to shirk most development costs onto the clubs)

Comment

I've never heard one kid say he wanted to play for the U.S. Men's National Team. They all want to play college soccer. Every once in a while you get a kid that says he wants to play professionally.

The Development Academy is doing a pretty effective job of getting players exposure to college coaches.

I'm glad to report that the DA is meeting the needs of a majority of the families involved in the system. That it's not what the die hard USMNT fans want is completely irrelevant.
                That's wonderful. Now let's get back to discussing the objectives for DA as stated by US Soccer.

Comment

That's wonderful. Now let's get back to discussing the objectives for DA as stated by US Soccer.
                  I think the point is that no one cares other than you.

Comment

I think the point is that no one cares other than you.
                    Actually, I think the point is that no one, especially US Soccer gives a **** what you think about your own kid.

Comment

Actually, I think the point is that no one, especially US Soccer gives a **** what you think about your own kid.
                      Lucky to have had my kid play DA. All I care about. Life is too short to freak out about this my friend.

Comment

????????????????

That is one dumb statement. Looks like someone has just run out of antidepressants.

Comment

????????????????

That is one dumb statement. Looks like someone has just run out of antidepressants.
                          Probably should read: Very few kids consider this a realistic option for them, or anyone around them, so stop harping on that dream as it's a waste of most people's time.

Comment

Lucky to have had my kid play DA. All I care about. Life is too short to freak out about this my friend.
                            That's lovely, and if that's all you care about, why reply at all with claptrap about anyone "freaking out" or whether "life is too short" when that's off topic?

Sorry dummy, DA is NOT successful and USSF doesn't give a **** what YOU think about YOUR kid.

Comment

That's lovely, and if that's all you care about, why reply at all with claptrap about anyone "freaking out" or whether "life is too short" when that's off topic?

Sorry dummy, DA is NOT successful and USSF doesn't give a **** what YOU think about YOUR kid.
                              It worked exactly the way my son hoped it would for him. I don't care about USSF. Life is too short.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X