Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Chances are she's not an ECNL superstar if she isn't starting. Not all ECNL (or club for that matter) players are created equal. It's a tough lesson for parents who have been paying top $ for their kids to play club soccer, expecting them to waltz onto the HS field as freshmen.
    Amen brother.

Toughest dime for Club parents to swallow
    in any sport.

How can my daughter, from an elite club team,
    not start as a freshman.

At end, about the coach.

Quality coaches, supported by quality AD's
    manage this event out every year in every
    sport.

Comment

Amen brother.

Toughest dime for Club parents to swallow
      in any sport.

How can my daughter, from an elite club team,
      not start as a freshman.

At end, about the coach.

Quality coaches, supported by quality AD's
      manage this event out every year in every
      sport.
      Ok town player dad. Read my lips. No high school this year has 10 players better than an ecnl player. The ecnl kid has to probably sit behind three seniors that are captains. Once The captains are named, if they aren't one of the best 11 on the team, good luck to your team, because coach boxed himself in. I know he doesn't have to start them, but trust me, 99 percent do. Why a soccer team needs 3 or 4 captains is beyond me. Actually it isn't. The coach doesn't want to make a hard decision or create issues with pissed off kids and parents

Then you have some of the big body upper classman girls that the coach feels he needs to throw out there over the smaller freshman because most of these hs coaches think bigger is better and tougher.

That's why the hs soccer is so tough to watch most of the time.

Comment

The issue is that 90% of high school coaches aren't good coaches. Qualified, yes. To coach high school that is. Qualified to identify and utilize talent, no.

Plus, high school soccer isn't about technique and IQ, it's about seniority, physical strength and booting it.

A wrestler or hockey player is more effective in a hs soccer game than an ECNL player.

Comment

Ok town player dad. Read my lips. No high school this year has 10 players better than an ecnl player. The ecnl kid has to probably sit behind three seniors that are captains. Once The captains are named, if they aren't one of the best 11 on the team, good luck to your team, because coach boxed himself in. I know he doesn't have to start them, but trust me, 99 percent do. Why a soccer team needs 3 or 4 captains is beyond me. Actually it isn't. The coach doesn't want to make a hard decision or create issues with pissed off kids and parents

Then you have some of the big body upper classman girls that the coach feels he needs to throw out there over the smaller freshman because most of these hs coaches think bigger is better and tougher.

That's why the hs soccer is so tough to watch most of the time.
          True dat! Kids that started over my kid as a freshman did not go on to play soccer, or any sport, in college. Did they suddenly lose the passion? Maybe no college college coach in their right mind would even carry them on their bench should say something. Coach felt like he owed them for staying with the program all these years. Even worse, coach felt obligated to support them for post season honors. Funny how the next year, we were better without the dead wood. I would much rather get an ecnl freshman on the field, one who is more technical or has a better understanding of the game and who practices outside of high school and will improve and pay dividends to the program over 4 years, then a player who is bigger and has one Fall to give back to the program.

Comment

The issue is that 90% of high school coaches aren't good coaches. Qualified, yes. To coach high school that is. Qualified to identify and utilize talent, no.

Plus, high school soccer isn't about technique and IQ, it's about seniority, physical strength and booting it.

A wrestler or hockey player is more effective in a hs soccer game than an ECNL player.
            Mighty broad brush strokes there. There are quite a few solid Hs coaches out there that also coach decent club teams. A bigger issue is the great disparity in skills a HS coach has to work with. He may have a few stud club players, a few lower levels ones, and then everyone else. Few high schools are stacked with quality players. Then add in injuries, the short season jammed with games not quality practices, and the "must win to keep my job and parents off my back" mentality and the result is HS soccer.

Comment

True dat! Kids that started over my kid as a freshman did not go on to play soccer, or any sport, in college. Did they suddenly lose the passion? Maybe no college college coach in their right mind would even carry them on their bench should say something. Coach felt like he owed them for staying with the program all these years. Even worse, coach felt obligated to support them for post season honors. Funny how the next year, we were better without the dead wood. I would much rather get an ecnl freshman on the field, one who is more technical or has a better understanding of the game and who practices outside of high school and will improve and pay dividends to the program over 4 years, then a player who is bigger and has one Fall to give back to the program.
              you are the reason i hate coaching- the know nothing know-it-all parent

makes for a long day

Comment

Soccer purists need to get over yourselves. The purpose of HS sports isn't to play the beautiful game. It's to engage kids, keep them busy and active, build school spirit etc. Coaches of all sports lament the same thing. It isn't how they would prefer to run a program but they have to work with who they have, plus deal with administrators and parents. Yes it can be very ugly and frustrating to watch. But if you just accept it for what it is, and remind yourself that your kids are enjoying it (hopefully they are, otherwise why are they doing it?) and the season will be over before you know it. Actually, they will be off to college before you know it and you'll see all this angst was pretty absurd.

-ECNL parent with another athlete already in college

Comment

Soccer purists need to get over yourselves. The purpose of HS sports isn't to play the beautiful game. It's to engage kids, keep them busy and active, build school spirit etc. Coaches of all sports lament the same thing. It isn't how they would prefer to run a program but they have to work with who they have, plus deal with administrators and parents. Yes it can be very ugly and frustrating to watch. But if you just accept it for what it is, and remind yourself that your kids are enjoying it (hopefully they are, otherwise why are they doing it?) and the season will be over before you know it. Actually, they will be off to college before you know it and you'll see all this angst was pretty absurd.

Don't kid yourselves. ECNL players aren't small. You can feel the ground shaking for 20 seconds before they unleash the hip check of death. So, if your freshman is an ECNL player, then ... then she's FSA and the high school coach has bigger, faster, boot-it types ahead of her. Give it a year and she'll be playing, as the older kids move on to McDonalds.

Comment

If taxes pay for the program, then the program is for the tax payers. Within reason, these programs need to engage and teach the kids in the district about these sports if they were selected for the team. You dont pay a bigger or smaller tax bill based on the athletic, academic, or artistic talent.

Comment

What exactly is an ECNL parent? Your kid plays, not you.

Comment

Just a hunch but I am guessing they mean the parent of an ECNL player. No need to be a DB

Comment

Put your phone down during Algebra and pay attention to your teacher. Idiot.

Comment

Calling yourself an ECNL parent is a sign that you're one of those dbag parents that goes around bragging that their kid has an ECNL game instead of a game to anyone within earshot. You guys don't even see what elitist snobs and blow hard you are. Your kid is an ECNL player. You are an ECNL dbag.

Comment

Calling yourself an ECNL parent is a sign that you're one of those dbag parents that goes around bragging that their kid has an ECNL game instead of a game to anyone within earshot. You guys don't even see what elitist snobs and blow hard you are. Your kid is an ECNL player. You are an ECNL dbag.
                              You're all nuts

Comment

You're all nuts
                                No kidding. I'm the one saying I'm an ECNL parent. Yes it merely means my kid is in ECNL. I am anything but a purist as I could care less about how good or bad HS soccer is. My kid loves it, starts, and gets a lot out of it on and off the field. ECNl or club soccer in general is different. Nothing more than that.

This site is full of dbags who jump all over posters and read too much into every post. Get a life y'all.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X