Daddy Coach is not a troll

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a paying club parent, if the owner rolled you out as my kid's new coach I would be disappointed and likely go elsewhere. U16 parent.

Comment

My question is, if you "cannot even kick a ball", how do you demonstrate something? Where are they learning technique?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        As a paying club parent, if the owner rolled you out as my kid's new coach I would be disappointed and likely go elsewhere. U16 parent.
        As a coach i wouldnt want any parent who makes a decision without actualy watching a practice or two. See ya

Comment

Daddy coach not a troll

You would make an excellent ref. It's a great way to stay involved. Some of the best refs I've seen have been "Daddy coaches." They love the game and do a nice job of explaining some of the calls to the younger kids (that sometimes have no idea why the whistle is being blown), as well as managing difficult parents/situations. Or consider reffing at a high school or premier level, where the stakes are high and quality refs are in high demand.

Comment

You would make an excellent ref. It's a great way to stay involved. Some of the best refs I've seen have been "Daddy coaches." They love the game and do a nice job of explaining some of the calls to the younger kids (that sometimes have no idea why the whistle is being blown), as well as managing difficult parents/situations. Or consider reffing at a high school or premier level, where the stakes are high and quality refs are in high demand.
            this nails it. You'd be great at the younger levels, especially if you're patient with them and explain things to kids and show them how to do things properly after you blow the whistle (throw-ins, etc). You'd be worth your weight in gold, seriously. Make a little fun money too.

Comment

What's starting to grate on me, personally, is the constant references to winning and records and such, and not enough on player development.
              OP here: These are not close to being mutually exclusive. Not even in the same neighborhood. My teams win because my kids play better ball. They play better ball because I'm a good coach. I communicate well, diagnose their individual weaknesses and then prescribe drills that will fix their weaknesses or add to their strengths. I inspire them, and most importantly, I teach them to think their way to a win. You don't need a license or past playing experience to be able to reach kids and inspire them.

My question is whether I should move to the next level. If a person coaches little league baseball and has a very high win streak, moving to the next level of coaching high school baseball would/should be considered. If a high school (American) football coach has a great win/loss record, perhaps they should consider moving to coaching in college. Nobody would every accuse them of "focusing on wins" instead of development. That's absurd! Kids win games when they play better.

The push-back on this question has pretty much given me my answer...I need to stay at the lower levels where sanity prevails. In any other sport, the win/loss record would be enough to consider coaching at a higher level. Here, parents are too star-struck by C-licenses, Foreign Accents, and joining exclusive albeit losing teams who get fed the line that development is more important than wins at the U14 level.

Here's a follow-up question for you. If your C-licensed, Foreign Accented coach can't find a way to get their NPL/DA/ENCL/LMNOP team to win consistently at the U14 level and you're shelling out a ton of money for that, then are you getting fleeced?

At least the parents on my team can point to actual results. And their kids can plug into so-called elite teams any time they like for 3 times the cost.

Comment

this nails it. You'd be great at the younger levels, especially if you're patient with them and explain things to kids and show them how to do things properly after you blow the whistle (throw-ins, etc). You'd be worth your weight in gold, seriously. Make a little fun money too.
                Thanks. I'm not quite done coaching yet, but maybe some day.

Comment

OP here: These are not close to being mutually exclusive. Not even in the same neighborhood. My teams win because my kids play better ball. They play better ball because I'm a good coach. I communicate well, diagnose their individual weaknesses and then prescribe drills that will fix their weaknesses or add to their strengths. I inspire them, and most importantly, I teach them to think their way to a win. You don't need a license or past playing experience to be able to reach kids and inspire them.

My question is whether I should move to the next level. If a person coaches little league baseball and has a very high win streak, moving to the next level of coaching high school baseball would/should be considered. If a high school (American) football coach has a great win/loss record, perhaps they should consider moving to coaching in college. Nobody would every accuse them of "focusing on wins" instead of development. That's absurd! Kids win games when they play better.

The push-back on this question has pretty much given me my answer...I need to stay at the lower levels where sanity prevails. In any other sport, the win/loss record would be enough to consider coaching at a higher level. Here, parents are too star-struck by C-licenses, Foreign Accents, and joining exclusive albeit losing teams who get fed the line that development is more important than wins at the U14 level.

Here's a follow-up question for you. If your C-licensed, Foreign Accented coach can't find a way to get their NPL/DA/ENCL/LMNOP team to win consistently at the U14 level and you're shelling out a ton of money for that, then are you getting fleeced?

At least the parents on my team can point to actual results. And their kids can plug into so-called elite teams any time they like for 3 times the cost.
                  See...you had an agenda all along? Why go through it?

You aren't developing kids. You don't know how to show them technique. You focus on winning only, and use a W/L record as justification for how they have learned the game. You can't prove anything for your your players have grown and gone onto a future in the game.

So, no, maybe you aren't a troll. That's actually more frightening.

Comment

You are just a bitter chump killer
                    You arent a good coach you just play the ****tiest teams you can find to pad your stats and make you feel important
                    Play some legit comp and then see how you do
                    Knew you were an Ahole

Comment

The older the kids get, the better you need to be at fixing the technical and tactical problems. Can you prescribe the medicine to do this? It would difficult if you haven't taken the touches you are asking the kids to take. These small adjustments are what makes great coaches great

Comment

Very good advice. It isn't an easy road to the higher revels, but there is plenty in between to progress and grow.

Comment

You arent a good coach you just play the ****tiest teams you can find to pad your stats and make you feel important
                          Knew you were an Ahole
                          ^^ Not the politest way to say it, but this guy is correct. The people answering your questions can tell if you are a good coach in about 15 minutes of watching a practice. I think what you are trying to tell everyone is that you are a good problem solver, good motivational speaker and role model. I'm sure there's room for that somewhere, but not as a head coach at a top premier outfit.

Comment

^^ Not the politest way to say it, but this guy is correct. The people answering your questions can tell if you are a good coach in about 15 minutes of watching a practice. I think what you are trying to tell everyone is that you are a good problem solver, good motivational speaker and role model. I'm sure there's room for that somewhere, but not as a head coach at a top premier outfit.
                            Who said that is what he wants to be? Plenty of coaching opportunities all over.

Comment

Who said that is what he wants to be? Plenty of coaching opportunities all over.
                              Him?

"Should I try to move up? Would you, as parents, accept a coach at the Elite/Premier that had that kind of win/loss record without experience playing the game? (I'm serious). I estimate my team(s) have lost only 5 games in about 50 played."

"OP here. Thanks. I do enjoy it. The question is whether I would have any respect if I moved up to coaching Elite/Premier. How would it be received by the parents? Can't play. Can't kick a ball well. Overweight. Gray hair. But in the last 50 games coached, my teams have lost 4. Is a great win-loss record at the lower levels enough? I've accomplished all I can at the lower levels. "

Comment

Knew you were an Ahole
                                OP here: No, I don't try to pad my stats. Fact is, since I'm not an Elite/Premier coach, so I don't have much input over who or even when we play. An exception to this is that I do get to select the once per season tournament, and I try to pick something more challenging, which means we face off against Elite/Premier teams. I've selected some tournaments just to challenge my kids, knowing we'd lose. But then they come back stronger.

You say, "Play some legit comp and then see how you do". I'd love to. That's what I want. But to make it fair, I'd like a true select team also. What I mean by that is that at the level I'm at, I don't have the luxury of rejecting kids unless they are just terrible, and then I am supposed to send them to the lower levels. I almost never do that because I feel I can teach any kid that wants to learn. We pretty much take everyone. And at the same time, at the beginning of the elite recruiting period, the club coaches circle my team's practices like seagulls flying around a garbage truck and shmooz the parents of my best players while I'm coaching. I don't stand in the way of the kids who are recruited off by team by our Elite/Premier coaches (nor would I ever do that), but I'd like to see how I'd do as an Elite coach without those disadvantages.

I'd like to know what it's like to have kids who would train 5 hours a week instead of 2.5 hours. Kids of my choosing who weren't recruited off my team to another club coach who has a "higher level" team. I suspect in that environment I'd do pretty well. I take the kids they give me, and train them for 75 minutes twice a week (assuming they are not seduced away to a "better" team), and my kids still do well and can go toe to toe with an average elite team. Some of them with C-licensed coaches with foreign accents. If it makes me an A-hole because I'm frustrated that youth soccer isn't results driven, well then I'm an A-hole.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X