Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am sure that they went to BC for a great education. Soccer is secondary. See how far you can get.
    Typical D3 mentality. Kids who go D1 with this mindset end up getting ground up by the whole experience. If that’s what BC is recruiting it’s no wonder they are a marginal program in the ACC.

Comment

Typical D3 mentality. Kids who go D1 with this mindset end up getting ground up by the whole experience. If that’s what BC is recruiting it’s no wonder they are a marginal program in the ACC.
      It could be caught in a vicious cycle - top players with that "D1 mentality" won't want to go to a weak program. They'll want the top ACC or other top soccer/academic programs. Trying to change that perception would require a coach change, more on field success ,or both.

Comment

That in essence is the mantra of this thread. It considers New England as a D1A of sorts, where athletics is secondary. Not a single team from this region was good enough to be selected into the 64 team Championship last season. So let’s see who is the best of the worst this season. LOL!

Comment

That in essence is the mantra of this thread. It considers New England as a D1A of sorts, where athletics is secondary. Not a single team from this region was good enough to be selected into the 64 team Championship last season. So let’s see who is the best of the worst this season. LOL!
          So you would rather your daughter go to SC than BC because they made the 64 team NCAAs???? Not me, I'd rather see my daughter get a good education and play soccer at the same time. You may not value a good education but in 4 years when your SC student graduates without a decent job, you will.

Comment

So you would rather your daughter go to SC than BC because they made the 64 team NCAAs???? Not me, I'd rather see my daughter get a good education and play soccer at the same time. You may not value a good education but in 4 years when your SC student graduates without a decent job, you will.
            Nah, Duke, UVA, ND, Princeton, or Stanford would do.

Comment

Nah, Duke, UVA, ND, Princeton, or Stanford would do.
              You didn't say that your daughter was a top 50 player nationally and won't sit the bench at the Stanford's of the world. Congrats on having those options for your daughter. Most of the rest of us have more realistic expectations. Also, congrats on being wealthy enough to afford the Ivy league education without any scholarship money. And don't forget, even if you go to Duke, you aren't getting a free ride like a really good player could get at BC.

And Duh! you picked schools that offer good education which was the point several people made about education coming first. I noticed you didn't pick the all important final 64 schools like Mississippi, Florida St, West Virginia, Rutgers, Arizona, ...

Comment

You didn't say that your daughter was a top 50 player nationally and won't sit the bench at the Stanford's of the world. Congrats on having those options for your daughter. Most of the rest of us have more realistic expectations. Also, congrats on being wealthy enough to afford the Ivy league education without any scholarship money. And don't forget, even if you go to Duke, you aren't getting a free ride like a really good player could get at BC.

And Duh! you picked schools that offer good education which was the point several people made about education coming first. I noticed you didn't pick the all important final 64 schools like Mississippi, Florida St, West Virginia, Rutgers, Arizona, ...
                People like you will never get it. What is wrong with send a kid to Mississippi, Florida St, West Virginia, Rutgers, Arizona if they come out with a great college playing experience as well as the sort of GPA it takes to get into a top grad school? Don't give me the tired crap focusing school reps because great students will succeed.. period. Not saying that it actually happens this way in the real world but if a kid is a legitimate Ivy level intellect and they go to one of those schools instead only the real elitist snobs doubt such a kid would not succeed academically there and then be able to parlay that into a top flight grad school.

Comment

People like you will never get it. What is wrong with send a kid to Mississippi, Florida St, West Virginia, Rutgers, Arizona if they come out with a great college playing experience as well as the sort of GPA it takes to get into a top grad school? Don't give me the tired crap focusing school reps because great students will succeed.. period. Not saying that it actually happens this way in the real world but if a kid is a legitimate Ivy level intellect and they go to one of those schools instead only the real elitist snobs doubt such a kid would not succeed academically there and then be able to parlay that into a top flight grad school.
                  A smart and dedicated student will succeed regardless of their surroundings. The idea that you need some snob worthy name on the top of a diploma to achieve something in life is just ridiculous. The only ones who buy that sort of logic are name brand shoppers and ECNL parents.

Comment

For some students there are D1 schools just aren't worth the soccer/academic tradeoff. And schools are poor on both accounts. Then there's other things that impact their experience like distance from home, campus environment, social fit. Very few players will the soccer and academic chops for top soccer and top academics. Most will have to make decisions on what they're willing to compromise on.

Comment

A smart and dedicated student will succeed regardless of their surroundings. The idea that you need some snob worthy name on the top of a diploma to achieve something in life is just ridiculous. The only ones who buy that sort of logic are name brand shoppers and ECNL parents.
                      Of course there are always exceptions of graduates from no name schools doing well in life. But for the most part the higher up you are on the academic ladder the more likely you are to start off on the right foot. It means better access to alumni networks, quality internships professors with connections, all of which can be vital for landing a great first job.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                        I think it was a DA parent who holds this view, but I share your view that doing well wherever our daughters are fortunate to go is the most important.

Comment

For some students there are D1 schools just aren't worth the soccer/academic tradeoff. And schools are poor on both accounts. Then there's other things that impact their experience like distance from home, campus environment, social fit. Very few players will the soccer and academic chops for top soccer and top academics. Most will have to make decisions on what they're willing to compromise on.
                          Says who.. you? My bet is you paid for all of your kid’s educations and have absolutely not no idea what you are really talking about.

Comment

Says who.. you? My bet is you paid for all of your kid’s educations and have absolutely not no idea what you are really talking about.
                            By and large the quality of the education is in the driver's seat. The typical middle to upper income soccer family can afford to pay for at least a portion if not all of their kids' education. Scholarship discounts can be sufficient enough to pay the rest out of pocket or not require a significant debt load. A skilled player with good grades will have more options.

Comment

By and large the quality of the education is in the driver's seat. The typical middle to upper income soccer family can afford to pay for at least a portion if not all of their kids' education. Scholarship discounts can be sufficient enough to pay the rest out of pocket or not require a significant debt load. A skilled player with good grades will have more options.
                              Can afford and have to afford are two different things. Unless you have a super bright and motivated kid it doesn’t really matter where you send them to college because they are not really going to push the envelope and test the upper limits of what a top flight educational institution has to offer. For 99.99% of the kids it really comes down to fit and how hard they apply themselves and for most of them 99.99% of the schools are almost interchangeable. Only true snobs think an underachieving B/B+ student is really going to standout against a super bright and motivated one simply on the basis of the name on the top of the diploma. As with soccer playing ability, you can’t fake actual intelligence and motivation all the way through life. When you get right down to it, it doesn’t actually matter if the spike is for soccer or academics anyways because the colleges end up paying the best and brightest to come to their institutions. From most parents perspectives the bottom line is how much they end spending to give there kid an opportunity in life. What the kid does with it is on them.

Comment

Top 25 D1 rankings out. Note the dearth of NE schools. Princeton and Rutgers made the list.

https://www.soccerwire.com/notes/nca...ason-rankings/

further down on that link you can access men's rankings and women's D2 and D3

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X