X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

San Diego Surf SC Welcomes New Affiliate, New York Surf SC

SURF SOCCER CLUB EXPANDS TO EAST COAST

The oldest competitive youth soccer club in San Diego, San Diego Surf Soccer Club was established in 1977 to draw the best players from Southern California to compete nationally. Surf SC may be headquartered in America’s eight largest city, but its reach is far and wide extending as north as Seattle, south to Hawaii and now we have our first East Coast presence through New York Surf SC. Always looking to further the development of elite youth soccer players, Surf SC’s affiliate program provides great guidance for other youth soccer clubs.

Surf Soccer Club’s affiliate network grew by one as New York Surf Soccer Club was launched in the New York region. NY Surf SC’s goal is to become the best player development club in the greater New York area, leveraging the proven Surf Soccer model to evolve into a regional youth soccer powerhouse in the Northeast. New York Surf SC is embracing a collaborative approach to working with local community-based travel soccer programs, and is currently evaluating several partnership opportunities.

“Surf Soccer represents the highest level of youth soccer competition in the United States with a goal of producing the next generation of the U.S. National Team players. We are proud and excited to bring this quality of soccer to our region with the launch of New York Surf SC and we expect to develop the model for soccer development in our region. Surf Soccer is a member of the ECNL and the U.S. Development Academy; is a winner of nine youth soccer USYS and ECNL national championships; hosts the nation’s #1 ranked girls soccer tournament - Surf Cup; and has sent dozens of players to the Men’s and Women’s U.S. National Teams.” said Matt Popoli, New York Surf SC President.

“We are committed to helping each of our young student athletes reach their fullest potential, on and off the field, including using soccer as a tool for college admissions. We do this by providing professional coaching; fostering a fun, positive, yet challenging environment; and collaborating with our players, parents, staff, alumni and the local town travel soccer clubs to encourage and promote high ethical and academic standards, respect, and community involvement”, added Jon Feinstein, Technical Director and Head of College Placement for New York Surf SC.

Commenting on the launch of New York Surf SC, Surf Soccer VP of Affiliates Bryan Thistle said, “When evaluating the applications from worthy clubs, we look for strong administration, high-level coaching leadership, great facilities, and most importantly the ambition to create the top competitive club in its area. This club has all those elements and more. We took over 18 months to decide on the club to be our first East Coast partner, and are excited about the possibilities for growth and expansion alongside New York Surf SC.”

New York Surf SC will be led on the soccer side by Technical Director and Head of College Placement, Jon Feinstein, who holds a USSF “A” License and current member of the Region 1 ODP coaching staff, the current Head Coach of the Mercy College Women’s soccer team, and former DOC of Albertson SC West. Rounding out the New York Surf SC coaching leadership will be Boys Academy DOC JP Arenas and our Girls Academy DOC, who will be announced in the near future. The club is actively looking to add top coaching talent over the next few months.

Both San Diego and New York clubs are actively working together to produce mutual training opportunities as well as expanding Surf’s well-known and popular tournaments, camps, and trainings to the New York area.

you're a little late to the party

Comment

DI?

Not for nothing, but what does a DIII coach know about DI NCAA rules for soccer recruiting, scholarships, etc. DIII are completely different. I don't understand this hire for head of College Placement.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Not for nothing, but what does a DIII coach know about DI NCAA rules for soccer recruiting, scholarships, etc. DIII are completely different. I don't understand this hire for head of College Placement.
        Just because they're a D3 coach doesn't mean they don't understand how the process works.

Comment

The Rules

The process may be similar but the rules are different. Won't a DIII coach know DIII rules the best? DIII doesn't offer athletic scholarships. DI does. DI combines athletic and academic.

Comment

The process may be similar but the rules are different. Won't a DIII coach know DIII rules the best? DIII doesn't offer athletic scholarships. DI does. DI combines athletic and academic.
            Yes most of us know that as would the coach. But again it doesn't mean a D3 coach is incapable of understanding the process. I'm not a Surf supporter per se but I don't think the current classification of the person in charge means they can't do the job.

Comment

L. Miller lying again...........on BOTN

Originally posted by Larry Miller
              Originally posted by Anonymous
              Yes. Who is the Girl's DOC? I thought an announcement was supposed to come out last Friday. Eager to see who is being brought in.
              Me too.
              Cmon Larry stop lying to the people lolololol you know you know nothing lololol stop pretending. I told you i am in the know and i know who is getting wgmhat and who's not. FYI i knew about the Cedar Stars bit letsvsays hummnm about 2 months ago when i was at dinner with one coach from Cedar Stars lolol but of course you cant talk to me or dare post this so i will continue to read your nonsense and post it on Talking Soccer with of course my post lololol

Eric Harris

Comment

Hey Eric,
                I'm glad you're on here giving LM a bit of his own medicine but could you review your posts for grammar before posting, and stop with the infantile lolololo... It makes you look a stalker.
                Thanks.

Comment

Hey Eric,
                  I'm glad you're on here giving LM a bit of his own medicine but could you review your posts for grammar before posting, and stop with the infantile lolololo... It makes you look a stalker.
                  Thanks.
                  Most likely I am a stalker but as far as me reviewing..........that just aint gonna happen lol lol lol

Eric Harris

Comment

Most likely I am a stalker but as far as me reviewing..........that just aint gonna happen lol lol lol

Eric Harris
                    Looks like Westechester Surf just hired Fordham womans coach as DOC. Seems like a good start. Seems like Westchester is where they will have their success. Suffolk won't last. Too much BS and not worth it.

Comment

Looks like Westechester Surf just hired Fordham womans coach as DOC. Seems like a good start. Seems like Westchester is where they will have their success. Suffolk won't last. Too much BS and not worth it.
                      Anyone who thinks the new Fordham coach will be coaching your kid better think again. D1 coaches have very little time to coach outside their regular jobs. One team maximum and more likely a HS team because they're in season when things slow down a bit for college soccer. A good get, but she's more likely to be the DOC and let's see what other "top" coaches they get. So far the list has been very short

Comment

Anyone who thinks the new Fordham coach will be coaching your kid better think again. D1 coaches have very little time to coach outside their regular jobs. One team maximum and more likely a HS team because they're in season when things slow down a bit for college soccer. A good get, but she's more likely to be the DOC and let's see what other "top" coaches they get. So far the list has been very short
                        Does she and her university field help with the GDA application?

Comment

Finding players

The Fordham coach will pick up a HS freshman/sophomore team as those girls will most likely be playing in HS and she won't pick up the team until her college season and their HS season is done. She'll also coach and most likely recruit the best players to Fordham.

The question is: If NY Surf gets a GDA, no players will be allowed to play HS. So that team the Fordham coach will have to have another coach for the fall season .... or really crappy practice times around the college teams that use the outdoor space. The Fordham coach would have to find subs for when she is on roadtrips with the college team. Can't be at two soccer fields at the same time and day!

Comment

The Fordham coach will pick up a HS freshman/sophomore team as those girls will most likely be playing in HS and she won't pick up the team until her college season and their HS season is done. She'll also coach and most likely recruit the best players to Fordham.

The question is: If NY Surf gets a GDA, no players will be allowed to play HS. So that team the Fordham coach will have to have another coach for the fall season .... or really crappy practice times around the college teams that use the outdoor space. The Fordham coach would have to find subs for when she is on roadtrips with the college team. Can't be at two soccer fields at the same time and day!
                            This is a major weakness of GDA vs ECNL. College coaches are not going to be able to coach 10 months a year. They just can't. Even if the schedules worked in some blessed alignment (which they won't) their focus will not be on their club team but their college team. That is their full.time job. There are other qualified coaches out there of course. But ECNL coaches who are college coaches bring tremendous contacts to the partyas well as insight as to what it takes to play in college. That is a big draw for ECNL.

Comment

Does she and her university field help with the GDA application?
                              They are years away from DA. Have an awful lot to prove first.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X