Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is the opinion of the OP, we don't know if that's the case. Honestly, it sounds to me like a situation where someone stepped up a level, and coach puts them in the best position for that player to succeed.

Not everyone can, nor should, be an attacking midfielder. Certain skillsets are better utilized outside.
    No. It is not the opinion of the OP. That above quote was not me. All I stated was facts. That my son is 12 has played only 2 positions in the past season and half. Left back and right back. That there is very little player movement on the team. Only injury or moving teams has changed the lineup. The coach is obviously a good coach and smarter than me when it comes to soccer. However, we have different priorities. He has a team of kids to worry about. On this team I have just one. My question is simple. He is 12 and hasn't played another position since he's 10. It does not appear to be changing. Where is he more likely to reach his full potential?

Comment

No. It is not the opinion of the OP. That above quote was not me. All I stated was facts. That my son is 12 has played only 2 positions in the past season and half. Left back and right back. That there is very little player movement on the team. Only injury or moving teams has changed the lineup. The coach is obviously a good coach and smarter than me when it comes to soccer. However, we have different priorities. He has a team of kids to worry about. On this team I have just one. My question is simple. He is 12 and hasn't played another position since he's 10. It does not appear to be changing. Where is he more likely to reach his full potential?
      Outside back.

Comment

You're not getting it even though you've stated the issue yourself - his priorities are winning, not what is best for all his players. If he's not moving players around he isn't teaching them. You can talk to the coach and the club as you first step. If things don't change quickly then definitely look around.

Comment

Reading through this it looks to me like the issue isn't unique to the OP. It's the impression that only good players play in the middle; and only the middle can have only good players.

Players have different physical attributes which puts them in the best positions to succeed. I played with a guy who was frankly, a bit overweight for much of the time. He was thick. He had to play in the middle. No way he could keep up in a wide position. Fantastic skills and great player, but that's how he was built.

Yes, I do understand you want your best players around the ball as often as possible, but there's only so many positions and only one ball.

I'd suggest the OP talk to coach (hopefully he's had a 1-on-1 by now) and can get his vision on the 'why'?

But, we have to stop viewing playing in a wide position, or outside back, as a demotion.

Comment

Reading through this it looks to me like the issue isn't unique to the OP. It's the impression that only good players play in the middle; and only the middle can have only good players.

Players have different physical attributes which puts them in the best positions to succeed. I played with a guy who was frankly, a bit overweight for much of the time. He was thick. He had to play in the middle. No way he could keep up in a wide position. Fantastic skills and great player, but that's how he was built.

Yes, I do understand you want your best players around the ball as often as possible, but there's only so many positions and only one ball.

I'd suggest the OP talk to coach (hopefully he's had a 1-on-1 by now) and can get his vision on the 'why'?

But, we have to stop viewing playing in a wide position, or outside back, as a demotion.
            I don't think many see it as a demotion (well, some might) but rather is a player 1) learning being stuck in always the same position? 2) is the player really in their "best" position?

Kids will learn the game better and the role of each position when they're exposed to all positions, even having rotations in the net. Eleven years old is too young to always be in one spot.

Comment

What's more important for development?

What's more important for development?......this is a F_cking easy one!!!!!

answer is: if you are dead serious about developing your brat kid....pack up your S_IT and move to argentina, spain, england or anywhere else that has a proven track record for producing world class soccer players.....because us soccer sucks.

if you are not willing to do this...than you are not as serious as you claim to be.

Comment

What's more important for development?......this is a F_cking easy one!!!!!

answer is: if you are dead serious about developing your brat kid....pack up your S_IT and move to argentina, spain, england or anywhere else that has a proven track record for producing world class soccer players.....because us soccer sucks.

if you are not willing to do this...than you are not as serious as you claim to be.
                Actually, I'd move to the Netherlands.

Comment

What's more important for development?

Actually, I'd move to the Netherlands.
                  HELL YEA!!!!!! Von Persie RULES!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

My 12 year old plays for a non-MLS DA team. He used to play offense switching between striker and offensive midfielder. He joined a DA team that already had some very strong players. They shifted him to defense where he starts and plays nearly every minute. However, he doesn't look as good, decisive, or as fast as he used to. He really likes the team and his teammates and refuses to leave for a rival DA team. My question is where is he more likely to reach his full potential? Playing against tougher opponents in a tougher league with more talented teammates? Or taking him back to his town team where he can play a more natural position?
                    So we had a similar situation with our kid when he started in DA. He was always an attacking player, usually CM, but played some at striker and winger before DA age, preferring attacking CM. The first fall season in DA, he played exclusively left back, which he was fine with, but come spring, he started chirping in the ear of the coach to get some time at CM. When he did get some time at CM, it was mostly as a sub, but the difference in his defensive ability while playing that position was pretty astounding. This year, with the same coaches, he's started at CM every game and has carried with him those defensive skills that he strengthened while playing left back. Credit to his coaches for seeing a need in his development, and addressing it to make him a stronger player.

The best thing you can do is talk to the coach (we have mid-year conferences where development needs, future possible positions, etc. are discussed). Most coaches will be honest with you and tell you where they see your player going. If they say they see him as an outside back or CB, ask why and see what he says. If it sounds like your kid has all the skills for those positions, then decide if you're OK with that, but still ask if he can be moved around a little bit to become a more well rounded player. If he's playing in the back just because there are far more skilled players already in the attacking positions (you can probably already tell if this is the case), then you have to decide if you see your kid working hard to catch up to those players, or if you think you need to move teams to where he can get some playing time in an attacking position. If he's happy at the club and with the coach, I'd be hesitant to move him, especially if he'll be changing coaches next year, who might see him in a different position (or a strong attacking player might be moving to an MLS DA, leaving a position open, you never know). Whatever happens, just be sure to keep up his attacking skills and mindset through the spring. Simple to go out and do 1v1s in the yard/park with him as much as you can. You don't want him losing his footskills and shooting technique.

Comment

^^ Good take!

Any time spent where he's at will only help him later on. I've always been an advocate of playing the position you happen to be standing in at that time. Defenders who can attack are deadly; forwards who can defend are pains in the azz for opposing defenses.

Comment

Grass is greener

My kids in the opposite situation. He is the #10 on a top-ten team at U12, and one of the better players. He is happy where he is, but there are DA options in the area. What is the appropriate age to challenge him? How to get on the radar of the DA teams? Do they have open tryouts, or is there another process?

Comment

Are we talking about Player or Social Skills Development? I think it's an opened ended question with lots of different outcomes. Move your kid to another club, better for the player, maybe not for the person and vice-versa.

Comment

Makes sense. By the way, for the OP my kid got moved to outside back last year because a coach liked him there. He hated it and struggled a bit (its a tough position, esp when you play out of the back), but it helped him both personally and in soccer.

Comment

He's way too young to be pigeon holed, either by you or a coach. For now his coach thinks where he's playing is best for him and the team. Next year it could be entirely different. The only reason to move him down is if he wan't playing and was in over his head. But he is playing and presumedly learning from training sessions as well. Moving down isn't god for him developmentally - it will only artificially inflate his ego, and more importantly YOURS. If he's happy and learning, let it be for at least another year
                              U12 DA .... player positions are locked up and have been for a year or two (unless you change coaches soon). They have "studs" at offensive positions and need kids to fill in the other 6 or 7 positions. Your kid is new, those are almost always defensive players and now will be for life. Sorry you didnt come earlier before they designated the current offensive players.

Comment

My kids in the opposite situation. He is the #10 on a top-ten team at U12, and one of the better players. He is happy where he is, but there are DA options in the area. What is the appropriate age to challenge him? How to get on the radar of the DA teams? Do they have open tryouts, or is there another process?
                                Is he ecstatic and challenged where he is? Go to workouts of local DA and ECNL clubs and see how he does and how he likes it. There is nothing wrong with where you are, so don't feed into the hysteria and make a foolish jump .... you can never go back to the green once you do.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X