Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pdp/odp

I know it's been raised in the past, but can't find any recent posts. I'm hoping to get a couple of helpful comments before the trolls show up and post nonsense.

My son is a solid player on one of the stronger premier teams in CT. Definitely not the star on the team, but starts every game and usually plays all or most of the game. His coaches came up to me after practice and asked if we would be interested in having him do PDP this spring. It's been brought up before for us and 1-2 other players on the team. I doubt the coaches get any sort of kickback, so I assume their recommendation has some merit.

I'd like to get thoughts on whether it offers quality training that makes a difference. How much does it cost? I know ODP has a bad reputation but how does it compare?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I know it's been raised in the past, but can't find any recent posts. I'm hoping to get a couple of helpful comments before the trolls show up and post nonsense.

My son is a solid player on one of the stronger premier teams in CT. Definitely not the star on the team, but starts every game and usually plays all or most of the game. His coaches came up to me after practice and asked if we would be interested in having him do PDP this spring. It's been brought up before for us and 1-2 other players on the team. I doubt the coaches get any sort of kickback, so I assume their recommendation has some merit.

I'd like to get thoughts on whether it offers quality training that makes a difference. How much does it cost? I know ODP has a bad reputation but how does it compare?
    PDP is great. John Curtis and his crew run a quality program. A lot of good young players. It is worthwhile

Comment

PDP is great. John Curtis and his crew run a quality program. A lot of good young players. It is worthwhile
      But, it is pay-to-train and no one is getting ID'd out of that. If your kid doesn't play for an academy team, nobody cares. So, if your motivation is for your kid to play more and with some different players and you dont care about the $$ have at it. A better question though should be, why do you need to spend more money for more training? If your club isn't providing him enough, perhaps it is time to change clubs.

Comment

Agree that up should explore other club options. However if the short term goal is to improve then 1) there is plenty the player can do on their own 2) if the op wants to spend some $ then PDP is better than ODP. Not only is the training better but they have fall, winter and spring sessions. He could try one session and see if they want to continue. ODP is a full year commitment. OP never mentioned talent identification. PDP also has it's own talent program but it's not the same as ODP.

Comment

Agree that up should explore other club options. However if the short term goal is to improve then 1) there is plenty the player can do on their own 2) if the op wants to spend some $ then PDP is better than ODP. Not only is the training better but they have fall, winter and spring sessions. He could try one session and see if they want to continue. ODP is a full year commitment. OP never mentioned talent identification. PDP also has it's own talent program but it's not the same as ODP.
          I agree with most of the comments. If the goal is to improve, the player can work on his/her own and mine certainly does but sometimes having a coach and other players to work on some of the skills is helpful. They also seem to really enjoy it.

We use PDP as an opportunity to get some additional training and have fun. My kid is on a BDA team. We are not looking to get scouted or anything like that. Just enjoying the sport

Comment

I think all of the previous posts on the subject are still relevant. JC definitely expanding the brand beyond the original NYCSL iteration, but solid coaching, good players, uptempo, etc etc.

Comment

out of curiosity, is it thousands of $ or hundreds?

Comment

For PDP you'll be over a thousand if you do all 3 seasons. Not sure about ODP.

Comment

IIRC about $50/session - bit less for fall/spring (outdoor) bit more for winter (indoor). outdoor usually 8 weeks; indoor 12.

Comment

You would be better served at vale or simmons than ODP. That's telling

Comment

Pricing varies a bit per season depending on length.
                      It isn't cheap but not absurdly expensive either. Contact Jcurtis for specific info.

Comment

For PDP you'll be over a thousand if you do all 3 seasons. Not sure about ODP.
                        PDP is def well over $1000 if you do all 3 seasons; decent training but it’s a train to nowhere. ODP is cheaper, but also is poor in quality. Private training would give you more bang for your buck.

Comment

PDP is def well over $1000 if you do all 3 seasons; decent training but it’s a train to nowhere. ODP is cheaper, but also is poor in quality. Private training would give you more bang for your buck.
                          Only if you find a good trainer who will identify and address your kid's needs. At 70/hour or more it can quickly surpass PDP. Some things work better with multiple players in training too. Another option is find 2-3 similarly skilled players and split the cost of a trainer

Comment

For clarity purposes there are actually three:

PDP: run by us soccer club the intent Is to find representation for Id2. JC used to run the program until he rebranded into NCE. Note: clubsoccer hasnt come up with a PDP program in Ct or Ny Since JC left
                            NCE: JC new inntiaitve has expanded to MA and starting to move west. Intent to find national caliber talent for the US. Loose linkage with DA.
                            ODP: crap in ct and Ny.. move on

DA & ECNL have there own programs for the elite players which are used to identify national caliber talent.

Instagram: be a good daddy and post every training session, game, scrimmage, drills on Instagram and advertise the crap out of it and you might get a Nike deal, verbal offer from D1 school, or better yet contract from man city... currently my son has five followers.. mom dad brother and sisters.. 🤪

Comment

For clarity purposes there are actually three:

PDP: run by us soccer club the intent Is to find representation for Id2. JC used to run the program until he rebranded into NCE. Note: clubsoccer hasnt come up with a PDP program in Ct or Ny Since JC left
                              NCE: JC new inntiaitve has expanded to MA and starting to move west. Intent to find national caliber talent for the US. Loose linkage with DA.
                              ODP: crap in ct and Ny.. move on

DA & ECNL have there own programs for the elite players which are used to identify national caliber talent.

Instagram: be a good daddy and post every training session, game, scrimmage, drills on Instagram and advertise the crap out of it and you might get a Nike deal, verbal offer from D1 school, or better yet contract from man city... currently my son has five followers.. mom dad brother and sisters.. 🤪
                              If you play on a DA team are you permitted to sign up for PDP? I assume that is a club decision?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X