•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed and Agility

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Doubt it and horrible joke
    no joke, eventually i think he quit soccer...each kid is different, you never know how they will turn out...sorry to bust your bubble...you do not know everything.

Comment

no joke, eventually i think he quit soccer...each kid is different, you never know how they will turn out...sorry to bust your bubble...you do not know everything.
      just saying a kid is fast proves the point that some are just bigger or whatever when younger but there are certain fundamental predictors that any football scout could tell you who will be fast at u10 but also at u17 (all else equal)

Comment

Speed and Agility

just saying a kid is fast proves the point that some are just bigger or whatever when younger but there are certain fundamental predictors that any football scout could tell you who will be fast at u10 but also at u17 (all else equal)
        any football scout is full of bs....they promise the world...but in the end, they do not know how each person will develop and they do not have a crystall ball. have you ever seen the movie "money ball"? its a true story...it correlates to soccer as well.

But i do agree somewhat with your statement. One indicator is whether or not the athlete can can a backflip from a standing position unassisted. The athleticism you need to hit that is pretty rare. a lot of pro-athletes can hit this.

Comment

Puberty can be especially unkind to girls and their speed.

Comment

Hey, my child is not the quickest on the team, but has great foot skills and passing vision. Other than soccer they show no interest in other sports and team practices really don't help with this. Coach says they could be a top player once they grow into their strength and speed. Anyone else had to help their kid with getting up to speed?
            If you’re interested, I have a couple of training programs in mind to help with speed. You can always work on speed. It’s not all genetics, these programs actually work.

Comment

You tend to see larger speed differences at the younger ages than you do the older ages as some kids are just able to use their bodies to their full potential earlier on than others. I've been coaching for close to 15 years now and there are very few kids that were physically dominant at the young ages that remained physically dominant when they hit their mid-teens.
              So you coach the same kids from 8 to 18? Not being sarcastic just trying to understand.

Comment

any football scout is full of bs....they promise the world...but in the end, they do not know how each person will develop and they do not have a crystall ball. have you ever seen the movie "money ball"? its a true story...it correlates to soccer as well.

But i do agree somewhat with your statement. One indicator is whether or not the athlete can can a backflip from a standing position unassisted. The athleticism you need to hit that is pretty rare. a lot of pro-athletes can hit this.
                sorry was not being euro in my comment -- meant american football scouts -- a sport where high end speed is required in half the positions. I don't know any soccer scouts...

Comment

Speed and Agility

So you coach the same kids from 8 to 18? Not being sarcastic just trying to understand.

kids grow dumb_ass

Comment

kids grow dumb_ass
                    Yeah your the dumb_ass, OP said he knew many kids that were fast when young and slow in teens. So I wanted to know how he knows this. He must coach the same kid at 8 thru 18 to know this.

Comment

Speed and Agility

Yeah your the dumb_ass, OP said he knew many kids that were fast when young and slow in teens. So I wanted to know how he knows this. He must coach the same kid at 8 thru 18 to know this.
                      well yea dumb _ss....hes probably coached his own kid (probably with his friends) at a young age. its pretty common for someone to coach a core group of kids from a young age to there teens. I know many club coaches that coached a core group of kids from 5 years old to the teens. they surely see the trends with the different ways kids develope differenty over time.

Comment

Yes, I coached one child from U5 through U17, another from U5 to U16 and am currently coaching my third child who is now U14. And I've been a very hands on board member in my club for around a decade now.

I've seen lots of kids grow up not only on my own kids teams but also the other teams in club and for that matter our competition.

The U9 wonderkids that everyone ooh'd and aah'd about and kept their eyes on, for the most part were just regular players when they reached their teenage years, if they even still played soccer at that point. I'd even go as far as saying that many of these kids ended up being undersized and at a physical disadvantage as they got older, having had their growth spurts when they were young.

Comment

No offense but that's too long for a kid to have one coach.

Really need to switch it up every 2-3 years.

Comment

Speed and Agility

If the kids and parents are happy with the coach.... who the hell are you to judge? mind your business.

Comment

We've used different trainers on and off with the kids over time to help shoulder some of the load.

Comment

If the kids and parents are happy with the coach.... who the hell are you to judge? mind your business.
                                Ouch.

It's well-known that development stagnates with the same message over time. The message gets stale, and players get pigeon-holed, and many lose interest.

This is so well-known I guess I'm surprised by your response.

To each their own.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X