Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    That age group needs to have big rosters in general for injuries and conflicts. But what's up with the U15s? Some losses against teams they should be beating.
    Correct, 18/19's have to carry big rosters, as the previous poster said, injuries, college visits, homecoming, SAT's...you name it. The problem is that even the mighty NYCFC name is not attracting talent. ECNL is king on the East Coast, until GDA makes it free to play, that won't change. NYCFC or. Any other club, aawill never put the money they put into the boys teams until women's soccer becomes profitable

Comment

My daughter plays for one of the younger teams, but I get to chat with some of the parents. It’s a team in turmoil, not from apathy as you suggest, but from injuries and some important college visits. They have 4 or 5 starters that are injured, that along with recruiting priorities made for an ugly weekend for them. Most of the team is headed to D1 schools next fall, so I would not worry too much. Btw same thing happens to most ECNL teams at this age group, seniors are more likely to be injured because of the violence of soccer at this age.
      Not sure i fully agree. I understand what is happening re injuries etc, but I would be very worried if I were them. Your last comment is just not true. Injuries can occur in a variety of ways, but I think stretching, diet and a failure to monitor are major factors. players need to take responsibility for all of the above. Too many do not.

The most prevalent issue I see is the "let down" that occurs when kids either have committed and enter senior year with other priorities or realize that they are not getting the attention they hoped they would. Very few kids are really driven by soccer. They become slaves to the soccer routine that has been their lives for many years. once they see the finish line, many lose that drive.

That 18/19 team gets regularly beat up by the 16/17 team. That has nothing to do with visits.

Your comment kind of sums up whats wrong in the Club game these days.

"Most of the team is headed to D1 schools next fall, so I would not worry too much."

too many see the finish line as turning up on Campus. If you dont see a finish line and want to get to Campus and become an impact player there, then this is a critical year and time. If just getting there is it, then yes, dont worry.

College is ruthless and if soccer is part of your life there, then not being successful or getting time can make life pretty miserable.

Comment

Correct, 18/19's have to carry big rosters, as the previous poster said, injuries, college visits, homecoming, SAT's...you name it. The problem is that even the mighty NYCFC name is not attracting talent. ECNL is king on the East Coast, until GDA makes it free to play, that won't change. NYCFC or. Any other club, aawill never put the money they put into the boys teams until women's soccer becomes profitable
        Why would anyone make it free to play? ECNL is not king of anything other than giving families what they want. As if parents are the best arbiter of what constitutes soccer development.

For many reasons, and immersive soccer environment for girls is NOT high on the priority list. ECNL with its HS options and higher game/practice ratios appeals to people because it allows them to do other things. Thats cool, but its not going to continue to increase the quality of our female players.

As a nation we are plateauing. The physical and athletic advantages that took us so far have all but eroded and now its going to come down to other factors to maintain our national success. Yes, I get that very few care, but that the problem facing those who started a GDA.

For the GDA to be truly successful, it needs to change the mentality of so many people. From DoCs, parents and coaches. from how do I win todays game to How do I make Jane a better player knowing that me and my Club may not benefit from that TODAY.

thats a very hard sell and one that requires people to really care about the sport itself. Most dont. They care about $$ first and foremost and thats why we have the structure we have.

Parents spending more than they ever have for the game and standards not really improving much.

Comment

The u15’s are fine, good team, lots of talent. The 02/03 team is the one to watch, as they are a good bunch, but as with all good bunches, there is always 1 sour grape waiting to explode. Time will tell, but winning cures all aliments, or so they say. 00/01 team is like many in this area, they are competitive up to a point, as their other results show, couple of draws that could of been wins, and FYI that NEFC team is pretty good. When they get all their starters back, look for the next couple of games to go their way....

Comment

The u15’s are fine, good team, lots of talent. The 02/03 team is the one to watch, as they are a good bunch, but as with all good bunches, there is always 1 sour grape waiting to explode. Time will tell, but winning cures all aliments, or so they say. 00/01 team is like many in this area, they are competitive up to a point, as their other results show, couple of draws that could of been wins, and FYI that NEFC team is pretty good. When they get all their starters back, look for the next couple of games to go their way....
            The players in the recruiting years are more likely to give it their all. Many juniors are seniors go into auto pilot once recruited. In the case of GDA I bet many seniors return to HS to have fun for their last year. College coaches know GDA training is pretty variable so I don't think many of them demand DA like they do with the boys.

Comment

The players in the recruiting years are more likely to give it their all. Many juniors are seniors go into auto pilot once recruited. In the case of GDA I bet many seniors return to HS to have fun for their last year. College coaches know GDA training is pretty variable so I don't think many of them demand DA like they do with the boys.
              You can give it your all, and your Paul, and your call, but without true talent, you’re just like 95% of players out there, that team has some of the 5%.

Comment

Why is your daughter playing GDA?

After seeing many posts in this thread and on the dreaded Larry board, it seems to me that some folks have lost sight of the purpose of joining GDA.

So I’m curious what are your and your kid’s goals, dreams , reasons for playing GDA vs some other league/ level. Why did you guys ( kids) join?

Comment

After seeing many posts in this thread and on the dreaded Larry board, it seems to me that some folks have lost sight of the purpose of joining GDA.

So I’m curious what are your and your kid’s goals, dreams , reasons for playing GDA vs some other league/ level. Why did you guys ( kids) join?
                  Joined to give my daughter the opportunity to grow and improve as a player/person and give her a chance to reach HER goals in the right/healthy environment given the choices available. Soccer is her passion and for as long as it is GDA seems the best option available. Really don’t care what letters are on the league name.

Comment

Joined to give my daughter the opportunity to grow and improve as a player/person and give her a chance to reach HER goals in the right/healthy environment given the choices available. Soccer is her passion and for as long as it is GDA seems the best option available. Really don’t care what letters are on the league name.
                    Thank you for your post.

Comment

Same exact answer from me. I explained the advantages and disadvantages or both leagues and left it to my daughter. She made the choice to play GDA instead of ECNL, based on her goals. She is happy with her decision, and so am I.

Comment

We joined last year, mostly because I thought the training was much better, her ECNL coach did not practice enough technically, and I felt that was very important for college coaches. I attribute her being offered a D1 scholarship directly to her advanced training regimen of her GDA club.

Comment

We joined last year, mostly because I thought the training was much better, her ECNL coach did not practice enough technically, and I felt that was very important for college coaches. I attribute her being offered a D1 scholarship directly to her advanced training regimen of her GDA club.
                          Happy for you.

Slightly off topic, but your post remids me of a point I wanted to make.

Parents seem far too wiling to shore up the current system by focusing on outcomes and not overall quality. at the ECNL Club WC, they are constantly telling everyone about all the commits they have for the 2002 team. Its as if its easier to use commits as a surrogate for quality. Its become the badge of validity at most Clubs because it is a bad barometer.

I judge Clubs on quality of players they produce, not by commits. Getting a kid with top end potential an early commit to a so so school may actually be a failure. Getting a kid with average talent a spot on a team in her Senior year may be a huge coaching achievement.

Because we dont have all the information, commit has become synonymous with quality.

Comment

the club my daughter played with was pushing the DA hard and seeing how the club was rostering all of their higher level players as DA - seemed for us the only choice to make. I do not have a reference to compare the DA to ECNL, however, after attending the showcases for the DA I was impressed with number of college recruiters who attended and watched a lot of our games. Because of the showcase experience, my daughter decided to remain playing in the DA.

Comment

Happy for you.

Slightly off topic, but your post remids me of a point I wanted to make.

Parents seem far too wiling to shore up the current system by focusing on outcomes and not overall quality. at the ECNL Club WC, they are constantly telling everyone about all the commits they have for the 2002 team. Its as if its easier to use commits as a surrogate for quality. Its become the badge of validity at most Clubs because it is a bad barometer.

I judge Clubs on quality of players they produce, not by commits. Getting a kid with top end potential an early commit to a so so school may actually be a failure. Getting a kid with average talent a spot on a team in her Senior year may be a huge coaching achievement.

Because we dont have all the information, commit has become synonymous with quality.
                              You sound a little envious. What’s wrong, Fairfield, CCSU, and Manhattan not as good as Duke, Virginia, or Stanford????

Comment

the club my daughter played with was pushing the DA hard and seeing how the club was rostering all of their higher level players as DA - seemed for us the only choice to make. I do not have a reference to compare the DA to ECNL, however, after attending the showcases for the DA I was impressed with number of college recruiters who attended and watched a lot of our games. Because of the showcase experience, my daughter decided to remain playing in the DA.
                                I’m genuinely interested, when you were attending these showcases, how could you tell who was a college coach? We’re new to this, just starting showcases, and am curious as to how, as parents and spectators, to pick them out. I mean do they watch from a designated area, are they literally carrying clipboards/folders/iPads? Are they dressed in college/university gear?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X