Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are female coaches harder on female players than male coaches?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are female coaches harder on female players than male coaches?

The reason i asked is because last night my daughter came home and said to me and the hubby, "I don't like that B***h, I like Coach John so much better...thoughts/

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The reason i asked is because last night my daughter came home and said to me and the hubby, "I don't like that B***h, I like Coach John so much better...thoughts/
    What age?

Comment

Interesting topic. My daughters never had a female coach except as an assistant and even then those experiences were few and far between. I do recall one camp coach who was a bit of a _itch, but I considered it more of an age thing then a gender thing. Maybe that is more of the issue?

Comment

Assuming you are serious--which is suspect--How about a little more parenting and a little less soccer for your disrespectful child?

Comment

My experience is that female coaches relate better to girls than men do. Which means in some cases when girls are not being kind to each other (which can happen with pre-teen/teen girls) they call them out on it. In other cases if girls aren't working hard, they call them on it, etc.

In my opinion, female coaches expect more than men coaches do from thegirls they coach. To me that is a good thing for my daughter and I prefer a female coach to a male coach.

Comment

Why there are no female coaches for boys teams?

Comment

Many girls, particularly teenagers, prefer to be coached by males than females. One theory is because female coaches can be tougher on them.

Females also can get more personal, just as they do in social situations. More so than males, females appear to get underneath each other's skins. Males seem to have an ability to take things in stride or ignore things. When two males get after each other or fight, they can be friends the next day, or even in the next moment. This is not as true for females, it tends to get personal quicker.

These are observations any parent can make of his or her daughter's interactions with her friends.

I don't think this necessarily prevents females from being good coaches, it just means that any coach needs to learn to relate with players. Sometimes females are put into coaching positions because they were good players, particularly at colleges where promotion is sometimes internal. This is the same with males. Coaching ability is developed/learned, you can't just become a coach and be good at it.

It just seems that the additional challenge for these female coaches is they don't know how to deal with their players without getting personal.

There are good female coaches out there, they've learned their craft and they have experience dealing with female players. There will be more as they continue to get opportunities, so don't let the bad experience with one leave too sour a taste in your mouth and shade your opinion of all female coaches.

Comment

Assuming you are serious--which is suspect--How about a little more parenting and a little less soccer for your disrespectful child?

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4641/aphc0k.gif

Comment

This problem goes beyond sports. Just watch how the women behave to one another on any of the reality tv shows.

Comment

This problem goes beyond sports. Just watch how the women behave to one another on any of the reality tv shows.
                    Not quite sure you can compare the nut jobs on reality shows to the adult women who coach our girls. You must understand those reality nut jobs re sought out because they make for good tv. How does that relate to coaching? Not really getting your comparison, maybe you should explain?

Comment

I find that when my daughters HS coach,who is a woman, is tough on her she does call her a bitch. Unfortunately it seems the norm when you have an assertive tough woman who speaks her mind and gives out constructive criticism she's considered a bitch. When a man does this he is respected, her club coach is a man.

Although I do have to say when it comes to the psychological side of girls playing sports, her HS coach gets her but club coach does not. I believe the psychological side of girls playing sports is huge. Whats going on in their heads has a big impact on their game. A female coach can relate to her teenage players and understands what they are going through as young women. I have found that helpful when my daughter has had some tough days. It's the opposite with her club coach, he often made it worse.

She has had great coaches, men and women, but both very different.

Comment

I find that when my daughters HS coach,who is a woman, is tough on her she does call her a bitch. Unfortunately it seems the norm when you have an assertive tough woman who speaks her mind and gives out constructive criticism she's considered a bitch. When a man does this he is respected, her club coach is a man.

Although I do have to say when it comes to the psychological side of girls playing sports, her HS coach gets her but club coach does not. I believe the psychological side of girls playing sports is huge. Whats going on in their heads has a big impact on their game. A female coach can relate to her teenage players and understands what they are going through as young women. I have found that helpful when my daughter has had some tough days. It's the opposite with her club coach, he often made it worse.

She has had great coaches, men and women, but both very different.
                        I wouldn't overreact to the vocabulary, despite what some all-seeing TS posters say.
                        My wife (20 year fortune 500 executive) is quite free with her use of the B word (and even worse) when she is among friends. Every time I hear it, it shocks me a little.

I think it is similar to the use of the "N" word on the basketball courts I used to call home. If you are among friends, blast away. Just be sure you know who you are talking to. It's a way of venting (bonding?).

Comment

Many girls, particularly teenagers, prefer to be coached by males than females. One theory is because female coaches can be tougher on them.

Females also can get more personal, just as they do in social situations. More so than males, females appear to get underneath each other's skins. Males seem to have an ability to take things in stride or ignore things. When two males get after each other or fight, they can be friends the next day, or even in the next moment. This is not as true for females, it tends to get personal quicker.

These are observations any parent can make of his or her daughter's interactions with her friends.

I don't think this necessarily prevents females from being good coaches, it just means that any coach needs to learn to relate with players. Sometimes females are put into coaching positions because they were good players, particularly at colleges where promotion is sometimes internal. This is the same with males. Coaching ability is developed/learned, you can't just become a coach and be good at it.

It just seems that the additional challenge for these female coaches is they don't know how to deal with their players without getting personal.

There are good female coaches out there, they've learned their craft and they have experience dealing with female players. There will be more as they continue to get opportunities, so don't let the bad experience with one leave too sour a taste in your mouth and shade your opinion of all female coaches.
                          I agree with the post above. Also, what I have seen with my multi-sport HS-age daughter is that those responsible for selecting a coach for a girl's team seem to place much more weight on experience playing vs. experience coaching. Also there is oftentimes the unspoken rule that the coach for the girl's must be a woman because the girl's need role models. Not only is this an illegal hiring practice, it is often flawed because the young women they hire are not experienced enough to be good role models. I've witnessed these young women berating their players and have heard them say "what is wrong with you? if I was out there I'd score". What is that? Having playing experience is important for a coach, but it's certainly not the only thing - a coach is really more of a teacher. They have to teach and convey what to do, and how to do it, but whether or not they could once do it (even if it was really well) doesn't mean anything. Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and the list goes on - great players, not great coaches.

What really tips it for me is that at my kid's school a coach for a boys team would never get the head coaching job for a Varsity team (soccer, hockey, lacrosse, bball, etc.) at age 24. There is too much competition for that position, and the school will expect their new hire to have had some time learning the trade, proving they know how to coach (and can relate to the kids), whereas for the girls - the key factors are female and having played. So the girls varsity ends up with these young women (24, 25) who are trying out coaching for the first time. The one's my kid has had have been poor, very poor. I'm sure that's not always the case and age discrimination is wrong too, but it seems that the girls deserve the same quality and experience as the boys. When the administrators add the limitor that the girls must have a woman coach the pool of possible candidates gets small really fast.

I know I'm not the only one who thinks this way - was at one of my kid's games last year and a mom turned to me and my husband and said "I know this sounds bad, but i wish they had a male coach". And I don't think it's a male / female thing - it's more of an experience thing, a capability thing. If all was equal maybe it would be better for it to be a woman, but what i've seen is that the applicants sex outweighs everything else. And it really stinks for the girls.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X