Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does playing Division 1 soccer limit you to certain majors in college?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Is this different for guys vs. girls? You didn't say, but I am assuming your child is a male. I heard some girls programs try to accommodate because of the lack of women in engineering. I don't know if that is true, but was wondering if it is.
    The coaches just want to win. All coaches of all teams, male of female. And the schools are not going to give more assistance to just the females. I believe females also have a harder time missing out on all the social life although just MO after seeing both genders go through it.

Comment

It really is good that your kid had her eyes opened. If a kid doesn't have the proper motivation and drive, being a D1 scholarship athlete will absolutely drive them to dark places, especially when the playing time situation isn't favorable. Too many on this site haven't the first clue what the life of a D1 college athlete is really like and seem to push their kids into situations where the likelihood of failure is extreme. You see it in all of the college recruiting discussions with the nitpicking emphasis on academic rankings. Parents like to project that their kids as superhuman scholars when the simple truth is exhaustion makes cowards of us all. If a kid isn't super motivated in the classroom to begin with, they'll be even less motivated after a day of hard physical work and pressure. It's not easy but it is doable if a kid wants it.
      Darn it! And you had been doing so well.

So, in other words, lol, you're recommending that families think twice before going D1. Maybe a nice, strong D3 would be better.

Comment

The coaches just want to win. All coaches of all teams, male of female. And the schools are not going to give more assistance to just the females. I believe females also have a harder time missing out on all the social life although just MO after seeing both genders go through it.
        not the poster, but I wonder if these two things make it different for women -

1) much more money available for scholarships, maybe making some of the sacrifices more worth it? Money on the men's side is a joke
        2) many more programs out there and spots for women (less international competition for spots) making it easier for a female player to find the right program?

Comment

Darn it! And you had been doing so well.

So, in other words, lol, you're recommending that families think twice before going D1. Maybe a nice, strong D3 would be better.
          Precisely, if your kid doesn’t want to pay the price then as the parent you shouldn’t let them go that route because it will end in failure but then also don’t kid yourself into thinking that a D3 is going to work any better. The issue is the kid is not really motivated. You can espouse dropping the bar so the kid gets their trophy but at least be objective about the type of kid you are talking about, they are not going to be successful at some high powered D3 either, they aren’t going to want to pay that price either.

Comment

I am an engineering professor at a big school in Boston, and I've been the primary advisor for about 200 students over the years. Thus, I'm responding because my perspective is a little bit unique (not as a dad, but as an academic advisor with college athletes on the other side of the table). From what I can remember, I've advised 11 athletes. all but one either dropped out of engineering or quit their sport. I can't remember how many were soccer players, but it's about half. so, let's say 6, but all of my soccer players either quit the sport or dropped out of engineering. thus, this is a low sample size, but I think you still get the picture. At my university, I've never heard of a coach telling a player that they can't major in engineering. However, I've ALSO never heard of a coach that didn't warn every student athlete interested in majoring in engineering that it would be a monumental challenge. And those coaches are totally correct.

My perspective: I know how passionate these kids are about their sport, and it saddens me that they don't realize they have to make a choice about major v sport until after they're in college. You can imagine what I tell them is most important though....

good luck!
            Could you tell us which division the school is in. Scholarship money makes a big difference in the motivation (have to play to get paid) as does the rigor of the school ( huge difference in the motivation and quality of students at Harvard compared with those at UMass Boston). Also it seems that you are a normal academic advisor and not one in the athletic department’s academic support program if you have only dealt with 11 athletes. In most D1 programs advisors like you never see the athletes so it could very well be you dealt with walk-one (especially if they tended to quit their sport)

Comment

Quality of Students what a tool.

Comment

Could you tell us which division the school is in. Scholarship money makes a big difference in the motivation (have to play to get paid) as does the rigor of the school ( huge difference in the motivation and quality of students at Harvard compared with those at UMass Boston). Also it seems that you are a normal academic advisor and not one in the athletic department’s academic support program if you have only dealt with 11 athletes. In most D1 programs advisors like you never see the athletes so it could very well be you dealt with walk-one (especially if they tended to quit their sport)
                You are totally correct. I am a normal academic advisor. They all have advising and tutoring support on the sport side of their relationship with the school, but that's totally uncoupled from me.
                D1. Due to some of my administrative responsibilities, I tend to advise a lot of students with more unusual situations (e.g., transfer students, students in academic distress, athletes, things like that). I was hesitant to comment because of the small sample size, but this appears to be a sane thread lol. I'm normally here just to see if anyone else is as frustrated with my kids' club as am I.
                also, these issues totally vary from school to school. I know this for a fact, so I think a lot of the other folks arguing above about "it's like this here..." "no, it's different here.." well, you're probably both right.

Comment

You are totally correct. I am a normal academic advisor. They all have advising and tutoring support on the sport side of their relationship with the school, but that's totally uncoupled from me.
                  D1. Due to some of my administrative responsibilities, I tend to advise a lot of students with more unusual situations (e.g., transfer students, students in academic distress, athletes, things like that). I was hesitant to comment because of the small sample size, but this appears to be a sane thread lol. I'm normally here just to see if anyone else is as frustrated with my kids' club as am I.
                  also, these issues totally vary from school to school. I know this for a fact, so I think a lot of the other folks arguing above about "it's like this here..." "no, it's different here.." well, you're probably both right.
                  I appreciate your chiming in. You never know what is behind the mask on these posts. I would like to know the majors of the kids that are in disbelief that some majors are very difficult at certain institutions in D1 to be effective and where they are in the hierarchy. For instance, communications at most universities and high level sports, not usually a problem. Business at most universities and high level sports, also not usually a problem. Pre-law, all the liberal art things...not necessarily a problem. The problem is the sciences and their labs. Pre-med, can be tricky (including bio meds; bio chemistry; veterinary medicine; dentistry, etc.). Nursing, PT, PA (even more tricky because of the labs and the amount of labs and some rotation work). Engineering (all types)/Architecture (bio chemical engineering is very, very hard with all of the engineering and chemistry/biology labs being missed), etc. This is just my impression having had a few kids go through it.

My daughter's friend nearly had a nervous breakdown trying to juggle at a top academic school/sport program...top 6 and not soccer). It was extremely hard. I am so very happy she came out of it okay. Some don't. Depression (and what it can lead to) in college when being buried is very, very real.

Comment

Things can be very much school dependent.

At a well known, highly ranked local D3 school, you cannot major in architecture and play soccer. there is a conflict with the weekday game day and a mandatory afternoon academic session.

due diligence is a must!

Comment

Precisely, if your kid doesn’t want to pay the price then as the parent you shouldn’t let them go that route because it will end in failure but then also don’t kid yourself into thinking that a D3 is going to work any better. The issue is the kid is not really motivated. You can espouse dropping the bar so the kid gets their trophy but at least be objective about the type of kid you are talking about, they are not going to be successful at some high powered D3 either, they aren’t going to want to pay that price either.
                      LOL, BTNT. So as long as the kid and family admit that they are poorly motivated losers then you are OK with whatever they do. Thank you for clarifying for all of us what our issues are.

Comment

Back in the 90's I was a freshman and was recruited for a div 3 school. After registering for classes I ended up quitting soccer. I felt it would take longer than four years to graduate if I stayed on the soccer team. It was not an easy choice, but looking back it certainly was the right choice for me at the time.

Every kid's situation, soccer ability, academics, drive, ext.... is different. There is no set rule of thumb. Sometimes it just takes a semester or two to figure out the direction they want to go. Sometimes a transfer is the best choice.

Comment

LOL, BTNT. So as long as the kid and family admit that they are poorly motivated losers then you are OK with whatever they do. Thank you for clarifying for all of us what our issues are.
                          Lol. If a kid isn't motivated enough to do the work what are they then a champion? No wonder these snowflakes are having so much trouble with life when you have parents like this dolt.

Comment

Lol. If a kid isn't motivated enough to do the work what are they then a champion? No wonder these snowflakes are having so much trouble with life when you have parents like this dolt.
                            Sure. Whatever, BTNT. My "snowflakes" are doing just fine....and just so you can try to learn something while you hang out here all day, motivation level doesn't discriminate between D1 and D3. Talent, yes. Motivation, not so much.

Comment

Sure. Whatever, BTNT. My "snowflakes" are doing just fine....and just so you can try to learn something while you hang out here all day, motivation level doesn't discriminate between D1 and D3. Talent, yes. Motivation, not so much.
                              What is unmotivated talent?? Does that really exist or is that just a concept cooked up by parents to gloss over their kid's failings? Unmotivated kids stay in bed when they should be out training. Unmotivated kids throttle down in practices when they feel fatigue or boredom setting in. Unmotivated kid don't actually pay the price to develop their potential talent so how can anyone say they are talented.

Comment

I prefer the term "differently motivated" not "unmotivated"

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X