Junior Varsity coach

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let’s just face it, get over it and move on. Experienced soccer coaches, especially at the JV level, are not highly sought after. It’s a low paid, thankless gig. Be thankful that at least somebody is willing to step up for low pay, and allow your cherubs the opportunity to participate in JV high school soccer. Perhaps your kids will learn an important life lesson: academics will get you further in life than soccer. Have fun playing, because it will be over real soon. Check your priorities.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      #1 Was not my kids team he plays club and varsity for a different school.
      #2 It’s ok for someone to coach a team with no knowledge of the game? let’s just be lucky there is someone that is coaching attitude is what’s wrong with are system.
      #3 Is he or is he not getting paid to do a job? It was not his kids lack of skill on the field it was him giving them all the wrong information. What if a math teacher was teaching your kids the wrong answers to math problems, would you say that’s fine if the parents don’t like it why don’t they volunteer to teach the kids?
      If it’s not your kids team, why are you really that concerned? I’m calling bs. Either it’s your kid, or you are a coach that got passed over for the job.

Comment

#1 Was not my kids team he plays club and varsity for a different school.
        #2 It’s ok for someone to coach a team with no knowledge of the game? let’s just be lucky there is someone that is coaching attitude is what’s wrong with are system.
        #3 Is he or is he not getting paid to do a job? It was not his kids lack of skill on the field it was him giving them all the wrong information. What if a math teacher was teaching your kids the wrong answers to math problems, would you say that’s fine if the parents don’t like it why don’t they volunteer to teach the kids?
        #1 - Mind your own business
        #2 - yes, it's HS JV. For the $1000 some make and consider the 80-100 hours they put in...well...you get what you pay for.
        #3 - A math teacher gets paid as part of their career. Most JV coaches are paid to give the kids some fresh air and stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
          #1 was not my kids team he plays club and varsity for a different school.
          #2 it’s ok for someone to coach a team with no knowledge of the game? Let’s just be lucky there is someone that is coaching attitude is what’s wrong with are system.
          #3 is he or is he not getting paid to do a job? It was not his kids lack of skill on the field it was him giving them all the wrong information. What if a math teacher was teaching your kids the wrong answers to math problems, would you say that’s fine if the parents don’t like it why don’t they volunteer to teach the kids?
          it’s jv high school soccer

Comment

I just witnessed a jv boys game. It was worse coaching then that of a ymca Rec team from one team. Do u even have to know what a soccer ball is to coach at that level? Absolutely no fundamentals From the coach or the players. It was disgusting listening to the coach tell the kids all the wrong things making them get far worse then they should be. Why would you have someone or want a coach with absolutely no idea take a paying gig coaching at a high school level. Emberassed for both the players, parents and the school. Not just for the lack of knowledge about the game but also for the way he acted like a complete Moron
            Damn, the spelling is really annoying. Usually it doesn't faze me, but this one did.

Comment

Why don’t you go to the next school committee budget meeting, and push for increased funds for JV high school soccer coaches. Cause it’s so important, like way more important than stem programs and advanced math and science classes. What are your priorities? I don’t consisted my kid limited, if they don’t get coach of the year for their JV team. There is a plethora of clubs to fulfill that need, if necessary.
              Miss the point much?
              You must be a product of said jv program.
              The bigger issue is not the poor coaching (although they should be required to have some minimal training), but the fact that the play is so poor that its harmful.
              Only in this country, where we have spent millions on training, is a product allowed to exist in a sub standard setting.
              This is h/s, not rec soccer. If you can’t play, don’t try out.
              Something should be learned everytime a player walks onto a pitch, regardless of where.
              Same in a classroom.

Comment

Miss the point much?
                The bigger issue is not the poor coaching (although they should be required to have some minimal training), but the fact that the play is so poor that its harmful.
                Only in this country, where we have spent millions on training, is a product allowed to exist in a sub standard setting.
                Something should be learned everytime a player walks onto a pitch, regardless of where.
                Same in a classroom.
                Well said Thank you

Comment

Why don’t you go to the next school committee budget meeting, and push for increased funds for JV high school soccer coaches. Cause it’s so important, like way more important than stem programs and advanced math and science classes. What are your priorities? I don’t consisted my kid limited, if they don’t get coach of the year for their JV team. There is a plethora of clubs to fulfill that need, if necessary.
                  Every program in an educational system, sports or otherwise, should be a step to a higher level. Why else do we educate?
                  Make it intramural if the program can’t compete.
                  Kids will have more fun.

And if I’m the varsity coach, I should be paying attention to my feeder program...

Comment

Which all adds up to failure...which is apparent in more than just soccer.
                    Sub standards are accepted in all facets of our education system nowadays
                    That's a crazy stretch of an argument. The system is "failing" because a HS has a know-nothing teacher coaching some JV boys? I could argue that this is a sign of SUCCESS, because the school system is not spending massive $'s to place a highly qualified coach in charge of a JV team. Perhaps they've decided to allocate some $'s to the Art department, or having an instructor for the Theatre Dept., or additional math instruction for struggling students.

As to the OP's rant: If JV soccer is where a boy learns fundamentals and skills, then it is essentially playing the role of rec soccer. By the time a kid is in HS, he should have played and practiced enough to at least learn the basic skills and how the game works. If he is trying out for a JV team without those basics, he's not going to be able to compete at a varsity level after playing a year or two of JV games. That ship sailed long ago. If the JV roster is loaded with beginner / Rec-level players, then it has nothing to do with developing players for the varsity; it's just about fun, exercise and playing with friends.

Comment

This is completely the wrong attitude and is indicative of our failed system.
                      EVERYBODY in every other country in the world knows how to play. They may not have the athleticism of their top flight peers, but they can walk out and play in the park.
                      Therefore, the best have to work a little harder to get the attention: we limit our talent pool by our own lack of numbers.
                      And all coaches should have some knowledge of the game, just like a math teacher should grasp the fundamentals of math.

We are sorely limited in this country by exactly the above situation
                      You've checked with every able-bodied adult in every country? You must have a lot of time on your hands. Generations of American boys grew up with baseball as the national past-time - playing little league, school ball, etc. Would you say that EVERYBODY in this country knows how to play baseball? That they can walk out and play in the park? How about basketball? Stop with the hyperbole and make a better argument.

Comment

Miss the point much?
                        Same in a classroom.
                        You missed the point. High school IS essentially rec soccer, especially at the JV level. Your priorities are whacked, and you spend far too much time worrying about the small stuff. Club soccer is where kids can hone their craft. Pay up, put up or shut up.

Comment

The sky won’t fall on my child, if their Hs soccer coach, doesn’t meet my standards. If in 4 years or beyond, they are still pining about how terrible their hair soccer experience was, well they just might have deeper issues and I’ll be more sad about that.

Comment

Miss the point much?
                            Same in a classroom.
                            Dumb. Not just dumb, positively Trumpian. Every single point you try to make, except perhaps for the last one.

"If you can't play, don't try out."???? Why not? If you can't play well enough for the team, the coach will tell you by cutting you.

I don't know how good you think your kid is, but I guarantee that for certain levels of the game, your kid "can't play." He could be an All Star and the best player at East Braindead High, but college players, professional players, NT players can look at him and say "he can't play."

Comment

^^ Why the politics? Why drag politics into everything?

Comment

^^ Why the politics? Why drag politics into everything?
                                Good point. I shouldn't have done that. But it sure did make it clear how dumb I thought the poster's point was, didn't it?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X