•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    ^^ To add, also ask yourself:

* Is my kid showing up all the time?
    * Are they working hard in practice and in their own time?

Often, (and I do not mean to say this is your case!!), some who aren't playing a lot are the least dedicated players on the team.
    We have kids that play town soccer games during the week miss practice then show up to games on Sunday and get more minutes then the kids who are religiously at every practice. Nice huh?

Comment

Personally, I agree with it. Players need to work through their fitness and mistakes.

Knowing they will get pulled off at any time for an error hinders their creativeness
      And the sign of a terrible coach and program.
      Nobody should be subbed for a mistake.
      Fix at half or in training.

Comment

We have kids that play town soccer games during the week miss practice then show up to games on Sunday and get more minutes then the kids who are religiously at every practice. Nice huh?
        A) They were playing soccer
        B) If they make a difference...

By U13 the game is real, and showing up isn't enough

Comment

Unless the coach specifically laid out his/her policies regarding playing time and the role of practice attendance, you shouldn't be worried about it.

The bigger message being sent is that some players are very clearly better than others. If there's a few superior players that are playing 75% of the game, and a few at the bottom of the roster that are playing 40% of the game --- welcome to athletics. Talent and performance trumps all.

I would get really exorcised if the bottom of the roster players were getting way less than 50% game time.

Comment

A) They were playing soccer
            B) If they make a difference...

By U13 the game is real, and showing up isn't enough
            They are not U-9's playing 6v6 anymore.

Comment

Unless the coach specifically laid out his/her policies regarding playing time and the role of practice attendance, you shouldn't be worried about it.

The bigger message being sent is that some players are very clearly better than others. If there's a few superior players that are playing 75% of the game, and a few at the bottom of the roster that are playing 40% of the game --- welcome to athletics. Talent and performance trumps all.

I would get really exorcised if the bottom of the roster players were getting way less than 50% game time.
              Only when you keep the players thought to be very clearly better, but they accomplish nothing but running around like a chicken with its head cut off in those 70 minutes on the field. Then what?

Comment

Only when you keep the players thought to be very clearly better, but they accomplish nothing but running around like a chicken with its head cut off in those 70 minutes on the field. Then what?
                The only opinion that matters is that of the coach if those players are "very clearly better" or not. I'd guess 80% of the parents are off-base than reality. It's not intentional, either, just facts. We see our kids better because we likely know what they are trying to do vs. what someone else is. That's natural.

I've been around the game for almost 40 years and I still notice that when my kid f's up I tend to try to find what she was trying to do and give a "nice idea" but when someone else does I (silently) will say "WTAF are you doing out there".

Coach is likely more balanced than most of us realize.

Comment

A club that charges you thousands of dollars a year to “develop” your child in the game of soccer, should be providing ample opportunities for them to play soccer. If they are carrying huge rosters, and having kids sit around on the bench on Sunday games, they are just greedy for money and do not care about development. Clubs are a dime a dozen. Find one that engages your kid in soccer, and truly cares about developing its players.

Comment

The only opinion that matters is that of the coach if those players are "very clearly better" or not. I'd guess 80% of the parents are off-base than reality. It's not intentional, either, just facts. We see our kids better because we likely know what they are trying to do vs. what someone else is. That's natural.

I've been around the game for almost 40 years and I still notice that when my kid f's up I tend to try to find what she was trying to do and give a "nice idea" but when someone else does I (silently) will say "WTAF are you doing out there".

Coach is likely more balanced than most of us realize.
                    Depends on the position. If you have a forward playing the whole game and they aren’t scoring, are they really good? or does the coach just have favorites? Are defenders keeping goals from happening? A good player is one who gets the job done.

Comment

Depends on the position. If you have a forward playing the whole game and they aren’t scoring, are they really good? or does the coach just have favorites? Are defenders keeping goals from happening? A good player is one who gets the job done.
                      Exhibit 'A'

Comment

Playing time is not about how many minutes your child gets per game but how they play in those minutes. If a lower player is playing well they should get more minutes in that game and if they are playing poorly they should get less. There should not be a hard time table in place for playing players. Coaches traditionally start the best players based on training and previous games. The coach during this time can figure out pretty quickly what players on their roster can play at this level. This is the job of the coach to figure this out and do what is best for the players development and the team development.

Comment

A club that charges you thousands of dollars a year to “develop” your child in the game of soccer, should be providing ample opportunities for them to play soccer. If they are carrying huge rosters, and having kids sit around on the bench on Sunday games, they are just greedy for money and do not care about development. Clubs are a dime a dozen. Find one that engages your kid in soccer, and truly cares about developing its players.
                          And nobody will pay to go there....

Comment

And nobody will pay to go there....
                            Not true. There are some good clubs, that will provide value to its members, like any other business or organization.

Comment

Not true. There are some good clubs, that will provide value to its members, like any other business or organization.
                              It's hard to do - trust me, I've been there - but you need to step back and check you parental ego at the door. Is your kid happy with the limited playing time? No? Then time to move on. You need to find a place where your kid is enjoying the game. So that might mean dropping down a level or going to a lower league or club. For 90% of kids, competitive soccer ends after HS. Might as well enjoy it while you're doing it.

Comment

It's hard to do - trust me, I've been there - but you need to step back and check you parental ego at the door. Is your kid happy with the limited playing time? No? Then time to move on. You need to find a place where your kid is enjoying the game. So that might mean dropping down a level or going to a lower league or club. For 90% of kids, competitive soccer ends after HS. Might as well enjoy it while you're doing it.
                                Exactly. Find the best fit for your kid. I don’t think that sitting on a bench, and paying freight for other players would be a great fit. The problem is, these greedy clubs take money at the ready to keep the funds flowing into the club, yet don’t provide good opportunities to ALL of its players. Be honest up front, and stop taking people’s money. If you think your club is too good for a lot of your players, let them go, and let your chosen ones pay for their superior training that you think they deserve.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X